• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WAY Media Expands WAY-FM Coverage in Portland Oregon

https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=b15875

This affects some of WAY-FM's translators

WAY Media Inc. has agreed to acquire 1.4kW Rhythmic CHR KWEE-FM (96.3) in West Linn, OR, from 3 Horizons LLC. KWEE will replace the 104.5 FM translator WAY-FM has broadcast from since 2011.

WAY Media President/CEO John Scaggs stated, "We are excited to move our signal so that WAY-FM/Portland increases from 800,000 to 2 million in coverage. This full power station expansion helps cover the triangle of life where our listeners work, live and play. We look forward to being the soundtrack of Portland for those that know Jesus and those yet to know Him."

So what happens to 104.5? Hopefully 'We' will move there.

So what happens to 104.5? Hopefully 'We' will move there.

WE can't move there. It's a translator. There is a new station starting up east of Portland that will either interfere or remove the 104.5 translator. Here's what I posted on Pdx Radio: This is the most disturbing thing I’ve heard that has nothing to do with Trump, not counting the various tragedies that have occurred! I thought it was awful when 97.9 came to town and promptly became K-Love, not because I don’t like Christian Contemporary music but because it deprives the area of another commercial outlet. I took some solace in the fact that we still would have 96.3 but now, we won’t have either one of them! While I was typing this, I happened to think that Alpha might want to save WE by moving it to another frequency. The only one that makes any sense at all is 101.1! Live is out of the question as is seemingly, The Bull and KINK is slowly trending down but still a pretty good money maker. KXL will eventually need to be at least adjusted and I don’t know that it can be. The timing is bad but I don’t see any other alternative. If they want to save We, they can move KXL back to 750, merging it with Freedom 970 and move The Game to 970. The only other option would be to abandon WE and that makes no sense at all! With a good signal, they have the potential for growth and to be a major player.

WE can't move there. It's a translator. There is a new station starting up east of Portland that will either interfere or remove the 104.5 translator. Here's what I posted on Pdx Radio: This is the most disturbing thing I’ve heard that has nothing to do with Trump, not counting the various tragedies that have occurred! I thought it was awful when 97.9 came to town and promptly became K-Love, not because I don’t like Christian Contemporary music but because it deprives the area of another commercial outlet. I took some solace in the fact that we still would have 96.3 but now, we won’t have either one of them! While I was typing this, I happened to think that Alpha might want to save WE by moving it to another frequency. The only one that makes any sense at all is 101.1! Live is out of the question as is seemingly, The Bull and KINK is slowly trending down but still a pretty good money maker. KXL will eventually need to be at least adjusted and I don’t know that it can be. The timing is bad but I don’t see any other alternative. If they want to save We, they can move KXL back to 750, merging it with Freedom 970 and move The Game to 970. The only other option would be to abandon WE and that makes no sense at all! With a good signal, they have the potential for growth and to be a major player.

Why can't WE move there? It's fed by the HD2 of KFBW 105.9 Alpha could continue that lease or find HD space from someone else.

K283BL is owned by EMF. Therefore, the translator on 104.5 will remain Christian radio of some variety.

Why can't WE move there? It's fed by the HD2 of KFBW 105.9 Alpha could continue that lease or find HD space from someone else.

WE is an actual radio station on 96.3, with apparently live announcers and everything. It doesn't exist in any other way. I suppose it's possible for Alpha to make it one of their HD subchannels and get a translator but it would be a huge loss of signal!

This comes from a RadioInsight article posted last week.

Alpha tweaked the branding "750/102.9 The Game" to "750 The Game, and apparently created Instagram and Twitter accounts for what could become WE 102.9. This could be an indication that WE is preparing to move to 102.9 K275CH. If this is the case, it might either be fed through an HD subchannel of KINK (since it is the only Alpha HD station in Portland), or it might be like 102.3 K272ED Kennewick which doesn't have a primary since KWDR is Spanish.

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/we1029pdx/
Twitter: https://www.instagram.com/we1029pdx/ (notice that this account is "suspended" right now)

The thing that confuses me here is that I entered https://www.we1029pdx.com in the URL line just to see what would happen, and it directed me to JAM'N 107.5's website. Logically, it should have directed me to www.we963pdx.com, but it didn't. :confused:

This comes from a RadioInsight article posted last week.

Alpha tweaked the branding "750/102.9 The Game" to "750 The Game, and apparently created Instagram and Twitter accounts for what could become WE 102.9. This could be an indication that WE is preparing to move to 102.9 K275CH. If this is the case, it might either be fed through an HD subchannel of KINK (since it is the only Alpha HD station in Portland), or it might be like 102.3 K272ED Kennewick which doesn't have a primary since KWDR is Spanish.

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/we1029pdx/
Twitter: https://www.instagram.com/we1029pdx/ (notice that this account is "suspended" right now)

The thing that confuses me here is that I entered https://www.we1029pdx.com in the URL line just to see what would happen, and it directed me to JAM'N 107.5's website. Logically, it should have directed me to www.we963pdx.com, but it didn't. :confused:

thats because Iheart media grabbed those domains before alpha could

KWDR is country music and it feeds the 102.3 translator and thats legal because Jacobs Radio, which owns KWDR doesnt own K272ED

Last edited:
KWDR is not country music. At all. They are Spanish Religion. 93.5 hasn't been // 102.3 in a few years now. Breaking the law I think?
93.5 was Spanish Religion in the early 2010s // 102.3. Then when 93.5 KWDR first flipped to Smooth Jazz about 4 1/2 years ago, they were still parallel with the 102.3 translator. But around 2016, 93.5 went back to Spanish Religion with no simulcast on 102.3. 102.3 was Smooth Jazz by itself until late May 2019 when they flipped to Tri-Country 102. Their IDs were false. 'KWDR Royal City-Tri Cities...K272ED Kennewick'. I've been through nearby areas and I know 93.5 was not parallel and still isn't. They were only parallel up to about 2016.

KWDR is not country music. At all. They are Spanish Religion. 93.5 hasn't been // 102.3 in a few years now. Breaking the law I think?
93.5 was Spanish Religion in the early 2010s // 102.3. Then when 93.5 KWDR first flipped to Smooth Jazz about 4 1/2 years ago, they were still parallel with the 102.3 translator. But around 2016, 93.5 went back to Spanish Religion with no simulcast on 102.3. 102.3 was Smooth Jazz by itself until late May 2019 when they flipped to Tri-Country 102. Their IDs were false. 'KWDR Royal City-Tri Cities...K272ED Kennewick'. I've been through nearby areas and I know 93.5 was not parallel and still isn't. They were only parallel up to about 2016.

Then this article is wrong:
https://www.pugetsound.media/2019/06/03/93-5-102-3-kwdr-tri-cities-flips-to-country/

Yep. Drive through Quincy and Ephrata at 93.5 mHz and see what you hear. It sure isn't country.

Yep. Drive through Quincy and Ephrata at 93.5 mHz and see what you hear. It sure isn't country.

Have you checked to see if KWDR is running HD? I'm wondering if 9.4 is feeding 102.3 via an HD Sub channel

I don't think they were last time I was up that way. Which was about a year and a half ago. It's all a mess.
Another former scenario. K295AV in Kennewick (ex-Walla Walla) on 106.9 used to be 'K-Hits 106.9' with 80s music. They had no originating station. They treated a translator like a full-powered FM. Then it went to Bob FM and KZIU finally relayed it to one of their HD channels so it could be rebroadcast. Now it's The Oasis, I believe it's the HD2 of Spanish station KQFO 100.1 (La Ley), with Adult Album Alternative. Bob left Tri-Cities and went back to 104.5 in Walla Walla, also relayed by KZIU IIRC. That signal doesn't make it into Kennewick, at least west Kennewick, because I tried a couple months ago when I was down there.

A little bit of maybe unneeded information about 102.3's former Smooth Jazz format. When they first flipped, they took the BA/Allen Kepler feed. That went on for a year and a half or so, then around the time 93.5 broke off from 102.3 even with false IDs, the format went LOCAL. No personalities but it was a locally-based jukebox. The playlist was 20 times better than they were under BA. The music was updated to reflect 2018 and 2019 releases. There were a lot of oh wow's mixed in, both instrumental and vocal. I heard Randy Crawford's "Permanent" a few weeks before they went Tri-Country. Also Special Efx with "Your Love Has Lifted Me", a great instrumental from the early '90s that I don't even hear on stations like KOAZ.

Last edited:
I don't think they were last time I was up that way. Which was about a year and a half ago. It's all a mess.
Another former scenario. K295AV in Kennewick (ex-Walla Walla) on 106.9 used to be 'K-Hits 106.9' with 80s music. They had no originating station. They treated a translator like a full-powered FM. Then it went to Bob FM and KZIU finally relayed it to one of their HD channels so it could be rebroadcast. Now it's The Oasis, I believe it's the HD2 of Spanish station KQFO 100.1 (La Ley), with Adult Album Alternative. Bob left Tri-Cities and went back to 104.5 in Walla Walla, also relayed by KZIU IIRC. That signal doesn't make it into Kennewick, at least west Kennewick, because I tried a couple months ago when I was down there.

A little bit of maybe unneeded information about 102.3's former Smooth Jazz format. When they first flipped, they took the BA/Allen Kepler feed. That went on for a year and a half or so, then around the time 93.5 broke off from 102.3 even with false IDs, the format went LOCAL. No personalities but it was a locally-based jukebox. The playlist was 20 times better than they were under BA. The music was updated to reflect 2018 and 2019 releases. There were a lot of oh wow's mixed in, both instrumental and vocal. I heard Randy Crawford's "Permanent" a few weeks before they went Tri-Country. Also Special Efx with "Your Love Has Lifted Me", a great instrumental from the early '90s that I don't even hear on stations like KOAZ.

They do have a digital notification filed several years ago, but its only 20 watts

They do have a digital notification filed several years ago, but its only 20 watts

They have not broadcasted in HD since before I got my first HD receiver at the end of 2017. Even my SDR doesn't show sidebands on 93.5.

KWDR has another translator in Wenatchee on 107.5 that is Spanish Christian just like its primary.

100.1 KQFO was bought out by Xana HD Solutions, and flipped to Regional Mexican. Its HD2 subchannel is Spanish Pop and fed to 104.9, while its HD3 is a simulcast of HD1/analog. I haven't been to the Tri-Cities to check it out since May, and the HD signal is very low powered, as I've only received it in the Tri-Cities.

101.9 KZIU is currently not in HD either, although it hasn't been very long. They seem to be having some issues with their HD equipment because they've been switching it on and off since May. Before May, HD2 was 'Bob FM' (104.5), HD3 was 'The Oasis' (106.9), and HD4 is 'Fox Sports Radio' (94.5). I believe they will eventually get the full channel suite restored at some point, it's just a matter of when. Unlike KQFO, KZIU's HD signal is strong enough to be received here Moses Lake (especially at night), and I go outside to check it every few days or so to see if there's a change.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom