• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wake Up Rochester Personalities

sposadni

Inactive
Inactive User
I am sad to see that Cathy Orosz is no longer listed as a Wake Up Host. I enjoyed her soft and smooth easy going style, especially first thing in the morning. I used to watch Melanie Barnas when she did the 10 PM news on Fox and now I enjoy watching her in the mornings. Melanie, a little less conversation about your architect husband or little boy, please. I am also sad to see Rob Haswell leave the station but he has to do what is best for his family. Unfortunately I find his replacement, John Stehlin, not quite right. Oh, he does the weather alright but how many times is he going to forget to go to Kate McLean for the traffic? He has a terrific radio face but not a face for television. You know what they say about television, it makes you look ten pounds heavier. I'll continue to watch since the other morning stations turn me off but I hope WROC-TV fine tunes their morning staff a bit better. Cathy and Rob (especially Rob) were the greatest!!!

What you are witnessing here is history repeating itself.

Several months ago Melissa Long, who had hosted “Wake Up Rochester” for a number of years, was reassigned to field reporting duties and Cathy Orosz, who was the field reporter for 8’s morning show, was moved into the anchor chair.
As the result of this reassignment, Melissa Long left Channel 8 and eventually landed at job at CNN as an internet reporter.

Now Cathy Orosz finds herself in a similar situation. Is this coincidence? I don’t think so. What I’ve read on here from other posters is that Orosz will be leaving Channel 8 at the end of this year. Whether or not those individuals are correct remains to be seen.

"Wake Up Rochester” has always trailed behind Channels 10 and 13’s early morning shows. So it’s very likely that the management at Channel 8 figured that they had nothing to lose by shaking up things by replacing Orosz with Melanie Barnas.

As for John Stehlin, I am willing to give him more time before making any comments on his job performance. Granted he might not have, as you put it, a face for TV, but I’ve always maintained that I would rather watch someone who knows what they are talking about, versus some Ken or Barbie who might look good on TV, but lacks knowledge of the subject they are discussing, or background information on the story they are reporting on.

<P ID="signature">______________
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them".</P>

> What you are witnessing here is history repeating itself.
>
> Several months ago Melissa Long was reassigned to field
> reporting duties ....
> Now Cathy Orosz finds herself in a similar situation.

> "Wake Up Rochester” has always trailed behind (...)
> management at Channel 8 figured that they had nothing to
> lose by shaking up things

I think it's unfortunate that mangement only gave Orosz "several months" to turn things around. Not just in this case, but in any case where changes are made, you need to give them time. It's very rare that changing a show's format, anchor, graphics or any combination of the above will bring success overnight. More often than not, it can take a couple YEARS for people to change the channel and notice the changes, and for the word to get out there.

I also wonder about things behind the scenes. Have they changed out the show's producer(s)? You can't blame the anchor if the producer's giving her crappy stories every morning. If there's news happening overnight (fires, accidents, etc.) and the producer misses the story, that's not the anchor's fault when everyone else in town has the story. It's the producer's fault. Or maybe the production staff is hitting the wrong buttons or slowing down the show. But because these people aren't visible on the front lines, we never hear if they also get replaced, or if it's just a revolving door of anchors, set to be doomed by the people working around them.

>
> I think it's unfortunate that mangement only gave Orosz
> "several months" to turn things around. Not just in this
> case, but in any case where changes are made, you need to
> give them time. It's very rare that changing a show's
> format, anchor, graphics or any combination of the above
> will bring success overnight. More often than not, it can
> take a couple YEARS for people to change the channel and
> notice the changes, and for the word to get out there.
>

From personal experience I can tell you that one of the oldest tricks in the book is for management to either change someone's hours, or in this case, move them from anchor to field reporter, hoping that the employee will get so upset that they will up and quit. This tactic is used so that the company doesn't have to pay unemployment benefits.

That’s what I think happened to both Melissa Long and now Cathy Orosz at Channel 8. The new News Director wanted both of them out, so he changed their job descriptions. In the case of Long and Orosz moving them from morning host to field reporter with the knowledge that eventually they would become so upset they would leave.

Despite what someone might have originally told Orosz, I have the feeling she was just a fill-in until the new ND made up his mind who he wanted to host “Wake Up Rochester.”

Don’t be surprised that within a year if you see Melanie Barnas moved from hosting 8’s morning show back to anchoring FOX 31 News at 10 pm, while Lia Lando, or a new hire goes to early mornings on WROC.

> From personal experience I can tell you that one of the
> oldest tricks in the book is for management to either change
> someone's hours, or in this case, move them from anchor to
> field reporter, hoping that the employee will get so upset
> that they will up and quit. This tactic is used so that the
> company doesn't have to pay unemployment benefits.
> Don’t be surprised that within a year if you see Melanie
> Barnas moved from hosting 8’s morning show back to anchoring
> FOX 31 News at 10 pm, while Lia Lando, or a new hire goes to
> early mornings on WROC.
>
That's a recipe for failure. You never turn a program into a revolving door and expect to make it work. Channel 13 succeeds by giving you familiar faces and keeping them in place year after year...10 has done so to a lesser degree and has consequently enjoyed some success (though not as much as 13) as well.

I used to watch Wake Up religiously until the recent changes...

I liked their style. I was disappointed when Melissa left this summer. She was easy to connect with... Christine left for a much better opportunity... Rob is now gone and Cathy was pushed aside (and rumored to be leaving too). Their team effort on making the mornings a little easier is surely missed... By me at least...

I don't think that the Melanie/John show is as good. It's hard to connect with, there needs to be another person, who brings in a little bit of "funny" into the mix. That is what Rob, Christine, and Melissa all brought to the show. I always thought that Cathy was a little more the "straight (wo)man". But, in the end, she was a little more relaxed and witty after Melissa left...

I know that Rob left for another market, and I wish him well. I do surely hope that Cathy stays in the area. She's been with 10 and 8 for awhile... I think she's developed a bit of a name for herself here...

I also thought that the team of Cathy, Christine and Rob did a very good job hosting Channel 8's "Wake Up Rochester." You could tell that the trio was having fun and I'm sure, if given more time, the audience for "Wake Up Rochester" would have grown.

Unlike Channels 10 and 13, 8 has a history of not being patient. Rochesterians are very conservative when it comes to their listening and viewing habits. A station in this market isn't going to be successful if it keeps on moving their on-air staff around or forcing them to leave.
Apparently the management at WROC just doesn’t get it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom