• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WABE Is Amplifying Atlanta

Or at least that's the new branding. There's a movement around the country for public broadcasters to become more dynamic and less passive. Some interesting details in this article, regarding the success of the local programs at WABE:

Not a fan of new new website. Everything is so BIG that it is hard to browse. Also, they went to copy channel 11's logo using fat, almost unreadable font for the call letters.

Inside Radio missed one of the big elements of the rebrand... the TV side was (and legally still is) WPBA, not WABE-TV. In a conversation with one of their board members a couple of months ago, he told me one of the big reasons they were planning this was to alleviate the confusion on the TV side between WPBA/PBA30 and GPB on channel 8. Radio already had the more established brand

Inside Radio missed one of the big elements of the rebrand... the TV side was (and legally still is) WPBA, not WABE-TV. In a conversation with one of their board members a couple of months ago, he told me one of the big reasons they were planning this was to alleviate the confusion on the TV side between WPBA/PBA30 and GPB on channel 8. Radio already had the more established brand

Though technically, they can go for WABE-TV if they want to since no other station is using it.

I love this branding! It's so confident and modern - everything public broadcasting should be, diverse and powerful.

The BIG text on the website is partly down to mobile users. A lot of people largely or exclusively browse the web on phones and small tablets now, and if you visit the WABE site on your phone it makes a lot more sense.

I still am appaled that AtL does not have any classical music on the dial.
As I don't have an HD Radio in the bedroom, and I like to listen to classical music at night, I listen to 90.5 MHz WSMC from Chattanooga (100 miles +) on my Tecsun PL- 880 portable receiver, using its telescopic whip antenna from within the bedroom!

That's a pretty good catch! According to the map on Radio-Locator.com, the signal should go no further south than Canton. Even Gainesville is outside the fringe coverage circle. WSMC is licensed to Chattanooga but its tower is about 10 miles north of that city.

Chattanooga has such odd topography, coverage is different station by station. Some are on the ridge, some on the mountain and some in the valley. Every once in awhile I will spend an evening just looking at all of the coverage maps up there. I know, I really am a nerd. :)

I was watching Channel 30 last night, and while there was a WABE logo on the lower right hand of the screen and while there were references to WABE-TV in announcements promoting other shows, the WPBA-TV call sign was came on at the bottom of the screen at the top and bottom of each hour. Perhaps they're still in the process of changing the call letters legally?

I was watching Channel 30 last night, and while there was a WABE logo on the lower right hand of the screen and while there were references to WABE-TV in announcements promoting other shows, the WPBA-TV call sign was came on at the bottom of the screen at the top and bottom of each hour. Perhaps they're still in the process of changing the call letters legally?

Equipment that needs updating, most certainly.

The call change just appeared in the FCC database today, and is still propagating through the Commission's systems, which have not been handling call changes very well in the LMS era.

In fact, an LMS search right now (10:50 PM ET Sunday) still returns "WPBA" as the callsign for channel 30:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom