• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Von Haessler Doctrine Preshow Podcast

They have stopped doing it. Sounds like it was from management. I mean management had them stop. I don’t know if that is what happened. It sounded like that from what was said on the radio.

They have stopped doing it. Sounds like it was from management. I mean management had them stop. I don’t know if that is what happened. It sounded like that from what was said on the radio.
I know the post show was stopped to keep Shelley Wynter’s ratings from going down.

My best guess: They were not selling enough commercials to cover the pod cast expenses. I bet Cox / Apollo had to pay the talent extra for the podcast. I suggest anybody who signs an on air contract have some provision to get paid extra for podcasts.

EVH keeps eluding on his show that he won’t be renewing his contract with CMG when it expires. You can tell the afternoon time slot is taking its toll on EVH. I can hear his frustrations on air which he talks about occasionally. Too many traffic interruptions and they barely get one hour of airtime if you take all the commercials out. I love the show but I too get frustrated with all the interruptions here. He had more airtime in the morning time slot. He mentions podcasting being the way he will go in the future (whenever that may be).
They had been doing a 1 hour pre show podcast.
Yes with his BFF Stefan. I didn’t listen to it much. Just the two of them talking about life in general.

Last edited:
I listened to them everyday. The preshow was excellent. The pacing and content suited me fine. I don’t think Cox/Apollo was out any money for it.

EVH keeps eluding on his show that he won’t be renewing his contract with CMG when it expires.
He said repeatedly they were not in his contract.

If that's true, then they may have stopped doing the podcast in order to revive it after they leave.

We've seen where talk hosts try to do podcasts after they leave radio and they get sued for IP violation.

Here's one example:

If that's true, then they may have stopped doing the podcast in order to revive it after they leave.

We've seen where talk hosts try to do podcasts after they leave radio and they get sued for IP violation.

Here's one example:

It was included at the beginning of his show and hosted on WSB's site and app.

He had been talking about separating it from the radio show. I bet you are on to something.

What's interesting to me about this thread is it suggests EVH is bringing younger listeners to WSB. I'm guessing Mark Arum is doing the same.
This popped up in the monthly ratings thread. At the time I read the thread, I found it interesting that WSB-AM showed in the top ten of all age brackets.

Here is the summary that @pjc1961 typed out in the other thread:

25-54: 1. WSRV 2. WVEE 3. WNNX 4. WSB-AM 5. WAMJ 6. WSTR
18-34: 1T. WSRV 1T. WVEE 3. WWWQ (up from #8) 4. WSB-AM 5. WFSH (up from #18)
_______ 6T. WALR (down from #3) 6T. WAMJ 12. WWSZ-AM (down from #5)
18-49: 1. WSRV 2. WVEE 3. WNNX 4. WAMJ 5. WWWQ 8. WSB-AM (down from #5T)

This popped up in the monthly ratings thread. At the time I read the thread, I found it interesting that WSB-AM showed in the top ten of all age brackets.
What's interesting to me about this thread is it suggests EVH is bringing younger listeners to WSB. I'm guessing Mark Arum is doing the same.
I'm not sure he's bringing younger listeners, or that the decline of younger listeners from the Nielsen panel is starting to exaggerate their size. We've been having this discussion particularly in Seattle and San Francisco during covid, when we saw a lot of 18-34 show up for the classical stations. It didn't make sense that Mozart and Beethoven are attracting younger demos. They're not. But younger listeners' usage has become exaggerated because of their decline among people using radio.

I'll add I don't have proof of this because I don't have the demographic breakouts for Atlanta beyond what's been published.

I'm not sure he's bringing younger listeners, or that the decline of younger listeners from the Nielsen panel is starting to exaggerate their size. We've been having this discussion particularly in Seattle and San Francisco during covid, when we saw a lot of 18-34 show up for the classical stations. It didn't make sense that Mozart and Beethoven are attracting younger demos. They're not. But younger listeners' usage has become exaggerated because of their decline among people using radio.

I'll add I don't have proof of this because I don't have the demographic breakouts for Atlanta beyond what's been published.
Not sure exactly what you're saying, but I think it's that a smaller 18-34 sample is being weighted, making the numbers less reliable. That could very well be.

I was not basing my thought on the ratings, however. I could tell from reading the board over time that a couple of people who posted in this thread are likely younger and was saying that suggested that EVH is attracting some young listeners.

I don't know whether you've heard Eric Von Haesssler, but he's far from a traditional conservative talk show host. A lot of his show is comedy, and I can see it appealing to younger listeners.

I don't know whether you've heard Eric Von Haesssler, but he's far from a traditional conservative talk show host. A lot of his show is comedy, and I can see it appealing to younger listeners.

Once again, I don't have the demographic breakouts to see how large his audience is compared to the rest of the station. His 3 hour daily show makes up less than 10% of the airtime, so it's unlikely that his one show would have that much effect on the overall demographics of the station.

We've been having this discussion particularly in Seattle and San Francisco during covid, when we saw a lot of 18-34 show up for the classical stations. It didn't make sense that Mozart and Beethoven are attracting younger demos. They're not. But younger listeners' usage has become exaggerated because of their decline among people using radio.
If I am working on something really difficult or stressful, I have classical playing in the background. My son when he is working calculus problems listens to classical music. He says other folks at his school study to classical music. Office workers at home might play classical music as background noise. Whether they listen enough to make a commercial or sponsorship/underwriter (commercial) work for the sponcer is a good question.

Back
Top Bottom