• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Voluntary License Surrender: KBMB 710

According to user Howard Fine in the "I take pictures of transmitter sites" facebook group, Entravision turned in the license today. Confirmed with a search of FCC's LMS.

Land under the large 6 tower array in Black Canyon City got to be worth a lot more than the station. Typical story for AM stations now a days
The towers are right next to some expensive Phoenix ultra-suburb developments and on one occasion a tower was cut down and there was repeated vandalism and many town hall meeting protests. And as PHX grows to the east and southeast, the signal was of less and less value.

Land under the large 6 tower array in Black Canyon City got to be worth a lot more than the station. Typical story for AM stations now a days
The land is boxed in development wise. It is a big circle and surrounded by Kay Mine owner. I think the value is underneath it so to speak.

2.5 million sure beats what anyone could get for 99% of the current AMs these days. I still think I'd shop the license around to get something for it.

2.5 million sure beats what anyone could get for 99% of the current AMs these days. I still think I'd shop the license around to get something for it.

the problem is youd only be able to really afford to rebuild it ND... and youd get peanut power at night, and maybe 1kw daytime... would be a dog in phoenix, if wiki is any indication on how poorly this did as a 500 w daytimer when it started

the problem is youd only be able to really afford to rebuild it ND... and youd get peanut power at night, and maybe 1kw daytime... would be a dog in phoenix, if wiki is any indication on how poorly this did as a 500 w daytimer when it started

It was originally built in the early '80s with the intention to rimshot Phoenix as a full-service daytimer, and lasted less than three years in that form. A very short-sighted plan at the time, and worthless to try and do today.

The land is boxed in development wise. It is a big circle and surrounded by Kay Mine owner. I think the value is underneath it so to speak.
It's sort of amusing that the local residents protested about the towers, but not about the mining company!

It was originally built in the early '80s with the intention to rimshot Phoenix as a full-service daytimer, and lasted less than three years in that form. A very short-sighted plan at the time, and worthless to try and do today.
It continued up to this point, as an Entravision station, to be a PHX rimshot. It's 5 mV/m covers essentially 95% of the population of the Phoenix market, but the 10 mV/m that most consider essential in metro areas misses about 30% of it.

It's sort of amusing that the local residents protested about the towers, but not about the mining company!
A number of the locals weren't likin' the fact KMIA was programming to those Sheriff Joe was rounding up. Seven unpainted sticks in Black Canyon City weren't as objectionable as the format of the station, IMHO.

A number of the locals weren't likin' the fact KMIA was programming to those Sheriff Joe was rounding up. Seven unpainted sticks in Black Canyon City weren't as objectionable as the format of the station, IMHO.
I remember when they fired up the seven sticks, they were running "Stardust" Adult Standards while Entravision was trying to get a referendum passed in Yavapai County in 2002. Once they got that referendum passed, they flipped the switched to Spanish-language in an instant.

I remember when they fired up the seven sticks, they were running "Stardust" Adult Standards while Entravision was trying to get a referendum passed in Yavapai County in 2002. Once they got that referendum passed, they flipped the switched to Spanish-language in an instant.
Entravision bought 710 as part of the Z-Spanish acquisition of 36 stations in 2000. It had been Spanish since September of 1997, per my sources.

Entravision bought 710 as part of the Z-Spanish acquisition of 36 stations in 2000. It had been Spanish since September of 1997, per my sources.
Those sources are not correct. Entravision fired up the signal from the most recent Black Canyon City location in 2001. I personally remember the licensee prior to Z-Spanish signing on the original 500w signal temporarily in the mid-'90s simulcasting KDKB to keep its license alive. I may have the stunting loop from 2001 recorded somewhere, either on a cassette or MiniDisc.

Those sources are not correct. Entravision fired up the signal from the most recent Black Canyon City location in 2001. I personally remember the licensee prior to Z-Spanish signing on the original 500w signal temporarily in the mid-'90s simulcasting KDKB to keep its license alive. I may have the stunting loop from 2001 recorded somewhere, either on a cassette or MiniDisc.
You're both right. Z Spanish bought it in 1997, but it did not sign-on back until very late 2001. First flip to Spanish programming was in 2003 when it became KMIA.

My bad. Looking back at some old newspaper articles, a group of BCC residents brought on the referendum. Entravision was successful at fighting to defeat it.

Am I misremembering something? Who's permission did they need to broadcast in Spanish or any other language? Since when does a county or its voters, or the FCC for that matter, dictate what language a radio station programs in?

Am I misremembering something? Who's permission did they need to broadcast in Spanish or any other language? Since when does a county or its voters, or the FCC for that matter, dictate what language a radio station programs in?
I believe they were concerned about the local residents being prejudiced against anything Hispanic and causing the city council to not approve the modifications to the site. They have rednecks in AZ, too.

I believe they were concerned about the local residents being prejudiced against anything Hispanic and causing the city council to not approve the modifications to the site. They have rednecks in AZ, too.
Ya think? Black Canyon City is but a mere suburb of New River, where those stranger than Nurse Jeff and me hang. Here's hopin' that frequency goes away as the AM landscape is littered with far more dinosaurs than the tar pits can absorb.

Back
Top Bottom