• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Virtual.. Fake,, -pretend radio stations for schools with no frequecys.

• Thread starter Mid West Clubber
  • Start date
M

Mid West Clubber

At the high school I went to in the early to mid 90s, we had a fake off the air radio station as part of our industrial studies class,, it had everything a real radio studio had, and was required to be ran by the same specs ,,, TOH I.D and everything, the only thing the station lacked was a transmitter and frequency. I wonder how many schools have these virtual radio stations for learning purposes only,,, the only thing different was that the kids could play whatever music they wanted,, and it was only used during school hours.., no format what so ever, except it had to be clean, but they could still learn from this, the broadcasts were taped and listened to by the teacher and the class, but was never on the air. Now days I wonder if such a station could be ran as an internet only station, or a part 15 station that simply covered the school parking lot.

Many of these school "stations without a frequency" do indeed broadcast on the internet. It would be an easy matter for these stations to have a campus-limited AM and/or FM radio station.

I've been involved with installing one such station at a high school but the administration has been dragging their tail on pursuing it - and unfortunately the students become the ultimate losers in the deal! While staffers are so convinced that computers are the saving grace to the world they have yet to wake up to the fact that not all students have a talent to allow them to succeed in computers or allied fields. Radio can allow students to become exposed to areas of journalism, electronics, English composition and speaking.

I know campus-limited Part 15 stations are popular from K-12 schools right up to colleges and universities. I've reviewed a few on my web site and I know of a few others that are in the planning stages - I hope to spotlight those as they are built up.

Think you might be thinking of "carrier current" stations that broadcast on campus only on a specific frequency, think through the electric grid.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom