• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

VCY Acquires KESN

How much of KTCK’s audience comes from 96.7 vs 1310? Could they have the Ticket exclusively on 96.7 and run ESPN on 1310?

Outside the box thought; do you simulcast KTCK on 93.3 and 96.7 to compensate for any bad reception areas on 96.7 and again run ESPN fully on 1310?

Maybe no LMA because ESPN is looking for a new signal and they want no interruptions.
I doubt it. Disney is getting out of the station ownership business. 105.3 or 96.7/1310 does not need them.

They carried USA Radio Network News for a long time. Couple decades. Very professional delivery. I always liked it on that alone. They had 2 versions of the newscast. A Commercial version that ran 5min on the top of the hour. A lot of stations carried it. Was easy to do, barter. Didn't cost anything. They also had a Christian radio version. Basically the same newscast, different music, no commercials, and an added block of news that might have been of interest to Christians. VCY carried that version. Nowdays they carry Salem Radio News (SRN)

VCY is in a "Christianity is under threat" mindset. There are a lot of Conservative Christians that believe this to be true so it's not very unusual. I particularly liked their music programming growing up. It was relaxing. I didn't really care for their politics. I'm basically a Democrat politically but I am also a Christian. I have listened to Christian radio, VCY included since I was a kid. Some of it is good. For a long time, until Salem bought what is now EMF's 105.3 WLVE (K-LOVE) in 2001, there was no Christian radio on FM in Milwaukee aside for WVCY and Family Radio's WMWK. We had Entercom's 1250 WEMP which went from Oldies to Brokered Preaching, Ethnic and Contemporary Worship Music under Sinclair in 1998. Entercom bought it in 1999 and wanted to flip it but it was too profitable. They flipped to Sports 1-1-05. Then there was Saga's WJYI (Joy 1340) which ran Salem's CCM network with a lot of African-American Church broadcasts (Church Of God In Christ in specific) in the afternoons. They also had a Christian CHR show on Saturdays. It's now all brokered preaching and Ethnic. Nobody can compete with K-LOVE for CCM. Especially on AM. I always listened to the music. Wasn't really into the preaching. I still listen to Air1 every so often but it sounds depressing at times. A lot of college kids like Worship music, so they're focusing on Worship mostly rather than the Pop. A lot of the Christian pop is pretty good. CCM and Worship is a lot like Country. Same words and terms used over and over again. Air1 regulars like NEEDTOBREATHE, Mat Kearney, Lauren Daigle and for KING & COUNTRY have crossed over onto mainstream radio in recent years.

Aside from my personal experience, I should point out that these networks have listeners who are more than willing to open up their pocket book and donate to keep these stations running. EMF always had successful pledge drives. Do a Youtube video "Air1 Fully Funded" or "K-LOVE Fully Funded" and you'll see video of them in studio as they reach their goals. I think EMF's revenue is something like 200 Million. Record labels also still save songs for Christian radio to play before they are released to the streaming services, which means a lot of songs can still only be heard on the radio before they are released. This is almost unheard of in mainstream radio these days. It used to be the norm.
Also in Milwaukee, the first WVCY "competitors" would have been WYLO 540 and WKSH 1370 in the 1980's.

What would be interesting to know is how many ad dollars is the potential in Sports Talk versus what is generated now. When folks suggest another station or simulcast, the first thing I think is how much income that frequency requires to be churning enough income and secondly, how a simulcast can produce that level of income or another entry in Sports Talk can generate the additional income needed. From my understanding, each frequency has a target income, so to speak. In other words for what was invested, they need X amount of income to make the dollars work. For example, if a random FM must have $4 million as minimal revenue and is doing $3 million, do you blow it up for a simulcast? Can that produce the minimum target or get closer than the prior format?

For example, if a random FM must have $4 million as minimal revenue and is doing $3 million, do you blow it up for a simulcast?

The simulcast isn't going to get you more money. In your example, the company gives up the $3 million in revenue for a simulcast. Zero sum gain. In a business where the government imposes ownership limits on the number of stations you can own, a simulcast means you give up a revenue stream.

In the case of Cumulus, they had an LMA with KESN, and ran it as a flanker to KTCK. They already experienced what that combination in the sports format achieved. And they decided it wasn't worth it. What does that tell you? Meanwhile they're basically doing the same thing with KPLX and KSCS. What does that tell you?

Has the VCY sale closed yet?

I have no idea how much of KTCK's audience is from 96.7 and how much is from 1310, but I suspect that simulcast is here to stay. There's no reason to move it or change it.

KLIF-FM is doing about as well as could be expected on 93.3. I'm in Plano and that signal is hard to get on some of my radios. The fact it's getting above a 1 share is amazing.

ESPN will find a home somewhere, but I don't see either of these signals being an option.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom