• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Value of a 1/4λ stub to protect an LPFM...

Have a used Myat 101-040 "T", along with appear to be 101-058-1 EIA to 7/16-DIN transitions (no labels). The initial plan is to pick up a used section of 101-006 line for the stub

The "short" I will turn on the lathe out of copper billet and machine flats on the end for a two-bolt ground lug,

After tuning, likley silver-solder it in place...

SP

1/4 wave stubs are a good way of reducing transient damage from a lightning strike by shunting off the energy. They have the added benefit of shorting out 2nd harmonic radiation from a transmitter. (Lots of transmitters and exciters had them included.)

On FM's where I have added a stub (not right at the antenna) or where it was part of the transmitter's output assembly (e.g. Gates/Harris FM 5/10/20 boxes) I have tied the actual stub section to ground with strap. (you can hose clamp the strap to the stub)

This ensured that the strike impulse had a lo impedance ground to take it away from the delicate stuff.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom