• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Vally 98.9 WMVX

I've been listening to Vally 98.9 for the last few weeks, it's a great station, There playlist is quite extensive. On Saturday nights Nina Blackwoods 80s show is aired. It comes in well thru out the Merrimack Vally, while driving down 93 south, I loose the station around Stoneham, I wish the signal was stronger.

I've been listening to Vally 98.9 for the last few weeks, it's a great station, There playlist is quite extensive. On Saturday nights Nina Blackwoods 80s show is aired. It comes in well thru out the Merrimack Vally, while driving down 93 south, I loose the station around Stoneham, I wish the signal was stronger.

Do you understand the concept of radio translators?

First lets clarify something, WMVX is not a licensed FM station, they are an AM station, licensed to Salem NH.

Now Costa-Eagle filed and got a FM translator approved for Salem NH, with the calls W255DA. They are not on their AM tower, which is off Brady Ave in Salem NH, but on that big tower you see at Exit 3 off of 93 in NH at Rt 111.

A FM Translator is not meant to exceed the coverage of the station it is re-transmitting ( except at night)

So you have a FM Transmitter with 154 watts of ERP, and based on from what I have heard they cover a pretty big area.
Another eaample of how H.A.A.T. is king.

Translators and LPFM's are designed to squeeeeze into small parts of the spectrum that were previously off limits due to spacing requirements. They can not interfere with a licensed class station .

you have first channel adjacents on 99.1, WPLM Plymouth and WNNH in Henniker NH

on 98.7 you have an FM in Dover NH WBYY

You have a co-channel WCLZ near Portland Me, and another in West Lebanon NH

The FM band in Boston and within 100 miles is the most densely packed in America.

10 years ago the only thing you'd get on these frequencies was pirates like Big City on 106.1, which is now a licensed translator belonging to Beasley.

Beasley's translator can't interfere with the protected contour of WCOD, and there is another translator Port City is using to rebroadcast WNBP up in the Amesbury area ...... W291CC.

but back to your comment, these stations were NEVER intended to be wide coverage area stations.

and LPFM has even stricter limitations, their coverage area is measured in miles and no more than 5 IIRC.

Last edited:
You have a co-channel WCLZ near Portland Me, and another in West Lebanon NH

Also one in Webster MA, WORC-FM, within whose fringe area on Route 20 in Marlborough, MA I hear this translator from NH instead.

10 years ago the only thing you'd get on these frequencies was pirates like Big City on 106.1, which is now a licensed translator belonging to Beasley.

The pirate on 106.1 was "Touch". "Big City" is still on 101.3, and will soon be Bob Bittner's challenge to get taken off the air in order for his soon to be WJIB translator to make it across the river into Boston at all.

Costa Eagle took WNSH 1570 Beverly and changed the calls to WMVX then got the city of license moved to Methuen (xmtr in Andover I think). The MV in the calls could well stand for Merrimack Valley so they could have well had plans to move the 1570...and get the 98.9 translator for 1110, and put them -there.So the WMVX calls got moved to the 1110 and with the "Valley" nickname it kind of ties in.

I noted on my car stereo the display for the 106.1 translator says "WRCA-FM"... Not really as they have the FM translator calls (W231BI I think)

Thanks Eli for the additional Co-chan and correction on the pirate oops under privileged community broadcaster ...... when I was typing my response at a little after midnight my brain was running on night power...

Costa Eagle took WNSH 1570 Beverly and changed the calls to WMVX then got the city of license moved to Methuen (xmtr in Andover I think). The MV in the calls could well stand for Merrimack Valley so they could have well had plans to move the 1570...and get the 98.9 translator for 1110, and put them -there.So the WMVX calls got moved to the 1110 and with the "Valley" nickname it kind of ties in.

I noted on my car stereo the display for the 106.1 translator says "WRCA-FM"... Not really as they have the FM translator calls (W231BI I think)

W241CG Southington CT, relaying WNTY, uses either "Kool" or "WNTY" in its display, never the translator call. WGRS Guilford, CT, which relays WMNR Monroe, CT, full time, displays "WMNR," never its own call. Does the FCC have any rules on RDS displays?

W241CG Southington CT, relaying WNTY, uses either "Kool" or "WNTY" in its display, never the translator call. WGRS Guilford, CT, which relays WMNR Monroe, CT, full time, displays "WMNR," never its own call. Does the FCC have any rules on RDS displays?

Apparently not, WZLX runs commercials on theirs ....

As long as you give the "legal ID" when required, you can ID it any way you want the rest of the time it seems

There was a call letter switch, the Salem 1110 is now WMVX. The 1570 in Methuen is now WCCM (still Brazilian Portuguese).

That is correct, but call letters aside

WMVX 1110 AM has a their stick in Salem NH, not too far from where I sit typing this, and their FM translator is in Windham NH, about the same distance away from where I am right now.

As for 1570, they are on the old WCGY stick in Andover, just past the 93N/ 495 interchange ( not to be confused with the 99.5 stick not too far away but on the other side of 93.....)

On that same tower is W275BH, the 102.9 translator for Costa-Eagles Power 800, the former WCCM "Radio 8", those calls are on 1570 AM and they share the stick.

IIRC WNNW Radio 8 is also on that stick.

And the last time I went by that tower, the place was a dump

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom