• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Unlikely content ratings

I still think Judge Judy should (have/be) a TV-PG instead of TV-G. Her demeanor and trademark insults do not earn a general audience rating...especially with divisive defendants.
I also believe Family Feud needs to be upped to TV-14. Too many sexual surveys, too many sexual answers...and thus, too many moments where Steve Harvey stares at a contestant in aghast. Not appropriate for a PG anymore.
I thought I was the only one who felt that way about Family Feud. They have always leaned towards the erotic side, but since Steve Harvey took over, it went straight for the adults-only club. (I do find it immensely funny, however when he gets 'shocked' or makes fun of the answers. :)

The 1977 movie Smokey & the Bandit originally had a PG rating when it was released. In recent years on airings on cable/satellite outlets, it has been branded as TV-MA. Similarly, 1975's Monty Python and the Holy Grail and 1978's Grease were each a PG and has since been given TV-14 on TV screenings.
The "Grease" movie was watered down from the stage play. I saw a local production directed by one of the original Broadway cast members. He said at the outset "if you came to see the movie acted out, this isn't it".

I still think Judge Judy should (have/be) a TV-PG instead of TV-G. Her demeanor and trademark insults do not earn a general audience rating...especially with divisive defendants.
I also believe Family Feud needs to be upped to TV-14. Too many sexual surveys, too many sexual answers...and thus, too many moments where Steve Harvey stares at a contestant in aghast. Not appropriate for a PG anymore.
I find it hard to believe that any courtroom show should get a G rating. And I agree about Family Feud, at least in the Steve Harvey version.

With channels that are mostly or all movies that are unedited I believe they should use the theatrical rating with a note of the reasons for the rating. I believe the premium services do that for the most part. but TCM uses TV ratings at times.

Also since the addition of PG13, PG has become the main rating for what are considered family movies. A lot of movies that were rated PG that had sex, violence, foul language, etc. gets PG13 now. Almost nothing gets a G rating now for most new movies.

Last edited:
The "Grease" movie was watered down from the stage play. I saw a local production directed by one of the original Broadway cast members. He said at the outset "if you came to see the movie acted out, this isn't it".
I think some who come to see the musical (stage) version of Grease are sometimes surprised that it's not exactly like the movie. Also, 3 of the songs that were written for the movie and are very well known (including "Hopelessly Devoted to You" and "You're the One That I Want") aren't in the musical. The plot is also a bit different, and "darker" for lack of a better term.

Last edited:
Do people still look at the ratings. They seem somewhat pointless.
Also TV-PG will represent the majority of TV shows on Cable and OTA-TV anyway and the others TV-14, TV-MA, TV-G, TV-Y and TV-Y7 has to be a smaller number of shows on average. I just don't have an exact number though.

I agree Family Fued use to be one of my favorite game shows but too many sexual questions and answers anymore.

I thought I was the only one who felt that way about Family Feud. They have always leaned towards the erotic side, but since Steve Harvey took over, it went straight for the adults-only club. (I do find it immensely funny, however when he gets 'shocked' or makes fun of the answers. :)
I agree Family Fued use to be one of my favorite game shows but too many sexual questions and answers anymore.
It's one of the reasons John O'Hurley claims he left the hosting job of Family Feud in 2010. Even toward the end of his run, he felt there were too many double entendres and more adult humor than he was comfortable with, and he basically said if that's the direction they wanted to take the show in, he didn't want to be at the helm for it. That said, I've read elsewhere that Family Feud was under consideration for cancellation as the ratings were so lackluster, and ratings under Harvey have gone up as much as 40%.

The ratings were bad under the three hosts that preceded Steve Harvey. Nowadays, it's NOT uncommon to see Family Feud beat both Jeopardy! and Wheel. It's become a ratings success even with the innuendo, I guess.

The ratings were bad under the three hosts that preceded Steve Harvey. Nowadays, it's NOT uncommon to see Family Feud beat both Jeopardy! and Wheel. It's become a ratings success even with the innuendo, I guess.
There is weird thing about people (us included), that are almost drawn to those things because they are behind closed doors, like a privilege, and the show makes us feel that way? Does that sound right? Like, folks with kids don't like it, but couples do?

Sometimes it is. I've never understood why "Pyramid" nearly always gets a TV-14. Sometimes it's quite naughty but usually its fairly clean, and certainly not as bad as "Feud".

Just to clarify I'm referring only to the ABC celebrity version. I don't watch the other one.

I was at the beach this week so I was able to watch movies I can't see at home.

One movie starring Stallone and Schwarzenegger was on SyFy and had seven or eight uses of either the S-word or a word including the S-word and it still got a TV-14. "Hobbs and Shaw" on FX was TV-MA with a special warning at the beginning and after most commercial breaks. They started the warnings again shortly before the end and I was very surprised at the very end. Surely they won't have any more offensive content? Well, it was a little violent and the S-word was used. I didn't see anything justifying a TV-MA in the entire movie, other than maybe seven or eight uses of either the S-word or a word including it, several uses of the A-word and one or two GDs. It wasn't any more violent than anything on the Big Four.

This year on AMC National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation has a TV-MA rating. But it's the same version as always with the PG-13 language edited out and rated TV-PG or 14 at other times. Meanwhile Scrooged which was also PG-13 in theaters has a TV-PG rating, which is probably right for how it's edited.

Local shows are not immune to this, as we approach the 25th anniversary of the U.S./Canadian TV ratings systems (Australia has had theirs since the 1970's); for example: During my return visit to Southern California in 2000, I saw "Hot Seat Highlights" on KDOC being rated TV-MA!

Of course, that same rating could've applied to Jamie Kennedy's New Year's Eve disaster "First Night 2013", which was also on KDOC but syndicated to a few areas (except for KZJO in Seattle, who dropped it at the last minute in favor of 30 Rock reruns).

This year on AMC National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation has a TV-MA rating. But it's the same version as always with the PG-13 language edited out and rated TV-PG or 14 at other times. Meanwhile Scrooged which was also PG-13 in theaters has a TV-PG rating, which is probably right for how it's edited.
It's long been a tradition for us to watch Christmas Vacation on Thanksgiving night to kick off the holiday season. This year where I was located, the only option was the AMC version. It was "OK" but they did cut out a lot, and some of the funniest lines that got the most laughs were gone. Oddly, some of the language and lines I thought they'd cut were actually left in, while other sections of the movie that I thought were OK were either cut or edited.

A couple weeks ago I seen that Cartoon Network ran all 3 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies from the 1990's. The 1990 movie was rated TV-14 LV (Language and Violence) but when I watched it the cut out the scenes where they said damn and cut most of the violence out too.

Back in the early 2000s, I saw a movie on the Sundance Channel called Dresden. It was only rated TV-14, despite the fact that it had several uses of the f-word, as well as two FULL FRONTAL nude scenes involving the female lead character. Not the sort of thing I would let a 14 to 17 year old watch.

Another one that seemed too lenient was NYPD Blue, which was only rated TV-14 despite containing harsher language, nudity, and other adult content than what was typically shown on broadcast television. Other TV-14 rated programs seen on broadcast television at the time had far less serious adult content.

There is no single authority that decides TV ratings (unlike the MPAA, which decides the ratings for all theatrical movies); the TV ratings are left up to the TV stations, broadcast networks, cable channels, and syndication companies to decide, so there's bound to be some inconsistencies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom