• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Unlikely content ratings

I should probably explain that post. When I saw the movie the son said "No" and I got the impression something followed it, but the father said, "Watch your language."

The nighttime specials had been TV-PG for awhile as where the daytime show is still TV-G.

I've noticed that some diginets, like Grit, will give some old TV shows & movies blanket ratings like TV-PG, L,V (Or even TV-14, L, V.) even on TV shows & movies that, years ago, would have been TV-G, or TV-PG.
Also when MeTV showed The Jeffersons, they would give some episodes a TV-14 rating.

Considering some "Jeffersons" episodes use THE racial epithet, they should. Does MeTV edit its shows for language content? Antenna TV didn't when airing "All in the Family" or "Sanford and Son".
You're right, I forgot about that. It's been a while since I've seen the Jeffersons on MeTV, but I seem to remember them censoring the episodes with that word in it, by cutting the sound, that is possibly the reason why I forgot. This has me wondering why MeTV gives it's TV shows ratings, but Antenna TV doesn't.

Last edited:
Considering some "Jeffersons" episodes use THE racial epithet, they should. Does MeTV edit its shows for language content? Antenna TV didn't when airing "All in the Family" or "Sanford and Son".
When one episode of "The Jeffersons" was on ABC recently with new actors saying the same lines, the word was bleeped.

I remember "Maude" calling Walter a "son of a" and the second time around CBS didn't have sound for the last word.

On the other hand, when Harry Anderson starred in a version of the movie "Harvey" it had a TV-G rating and the entire expression was used. Same when UPN had an episode of "Clueless" where one girl called another the B-word.

From a TV-G program about Betty White on PBS:

"My muffin hasn't had a cherry since 1938." (in an interview she said yes, she did know what she was saying)

"I thought you wore too much makeup and you were a slut."

"I cut off his sex." "You mean it grows back?"

From a TV-G program about Betty White on PBS:

"My muffin hasn't had a cherry since 1938." (in an interview she said yes, she did know what she was saying)

"I thought you wore too much makeup and you were a slut."

"I cut off his sex." "You mean it grows back?"
NBC's Betty White tribute had these scenes and I need to make corrections. "I totally cut off his sex" and 1939, not 1938.

Are we really outraged because someone said a double entendre on a PBS show rated TV-G?
I don't know. Are we? I know of one "Jeopardy" episode that had lots of clips and had more than its share of naughty content. Still TV-G.

But when that happens and ABC gives squeaky clean programs TV-PG, you can't rely on the V-chip.

SOB was used at least twice that I can remember in later episodes of MASH, which would have been the late 70's or early 80's.
In one case as I recall Hawkeye was yelling at unnecessary death. In the final episode, he called Sidney Freeman an SOB for forcing him to remember the incident with the baby on the bus

In one case as I recall Hawkeye was yelling at unnecessary death. In the final episode, he called Sidney Freeman an SOB for forcing him to remember the incident with the baby on the bus
The times I remember are one where a South Korean officer took a woman who was accused of being a spy and pulled a gun on Hawkeye and BJ and Hawkeye called him an SOB. The other was when Hawkeye treated a general's son who died and the general called him an SOB.

The Jeopardy college tournament on ABC has been TV-PG. Normally there's no difference from the G-rated syndicated version.

There was an L (which someone left off when coming back from one break) but Guillermo from Jimmy Kimmel's show did Mean Tweets. I suppose this was for "jackass" and "moron".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom