• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Universal Music Follow-Up

I guess this could be considered a follow-up to the thread here: https://www.radiodiscussions.com/th...ault-fire-coverup-interesting-article.717839/ from a few years back about the fire at destroyed a lot of the masters in Universal's music vault in LA. I found this video on You Tube about their Iron Mountain storage area near Pittsburgh:

My big question is why weren't they doing something like this with the masters that were in LA instead of storing them in a vault that would be more likely to be susceptible to fire???

My big question is why weren't they doing something like this with the masters that were in LA instead of storing them in a vault that would be more likely to be susceptible to fire???

It's very complicated. Universal Music is made up of lots of formerly independent record labels. Some of the masters were stored on the Universal Studios lot (along with some movie masters). Those were the ones in the fire. But some were stored at other locations. I don't know when the Iron Mountain relationship began. I know that a lot of RCA and Sony masters are there. In any case, all of the masters had been backed up in various ways, some digitally. Some artists owned their masters and stored them themselves.

Incredible video! Great to see that a lot of the Buddy Holly recordings were stored here and can be digitized for future generations. Fun to see the original Don Henley takes, Carpenters recordings, and even Billie Holliday. Too bad he didn't get into the videotapes and Quads, movie prints, etc. that are stored here. Someday I'd love to see a tour of one of the television/film vaults.

Iron Mountain is an independent document and data storage company. They are not owned or operated by Universal. The warehouse that burned was on Universal's own property.

Also Universal Music and NBC Universal are not co-owned. The music side has been owned by the French media conglomerate Vivendi for over 20 years. The warehouse was on the Universal Studios lot in LA. It was rented space.

Back
Top Bottom