• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Unforgettable FM Gone from 105.1 HD3

I was tuning around on my car radio this afternoon and noticed that 105.1 HD3 has flipped to a classical format branded as KMozart2. It seems to be a different playlist than the main KMozart on 105.1 HD2/KMZT 1260.

I just noticed that yesterday when I turned on the radio to listen to Unforgettable and classical music was playing instead. I don't understand why two separate classical stations are needed to compete with one another.

Not being in SoCal I have no idea what is going on with KKGO/KMZT. However there are different approaches to programming Classical music. Some concentrate on shorter works or excerpts from longer compositions. Others focus on full length “masterpieces.” You can emphasize familiar music, or dig deeper into 400 years of musical history. And there are various eras that can be weighted differently on a playlist.

I just noticed that yesterday when I turned on the radio to listen to Unforgettable and classical music was playing instead. I don't understand why two separate classical stations are needed to compete with one another.

Because both stations are owned by Saul Levine, who has a very long history of changing formats to whatever he wants to do at any given moment. And he can do that because he owns both 1260 and 105.1 outright, with no debt service (or even stockholders ... the company is 100% owned by him and his two adult children, both of whom are active in station management and operations).

Somewhere around here I have a list of all the format changes on 1260 since he purchased it back in the 1990s. If I find it, I will post same. At various times that station was all-news, all-Beatles, Broadway showtunes, adult standards, jazz, and oldies.

I always thought the purpose of Unforgettable was to give Jerry Sharell a home after KKJZ

Both KKGO and KKJZ are managed by Mount Wilson Broadcasters.

Because both stations are owned by Saul Levine, who has a very long history of changing formats to whatever he wants to do at any given moment. And he can do that because he owns both 1260 and 105.1 outright, with no debt service (or even stockholders ... the company is 100% owned by him and his two adult children, both of whom are active in station management and operations).

Somewhere around here I have a list of all the format changes on 1260 since he purchased it back in the 1990s. If I find it, I will post same. At various times that station was all-news, all-Beatles, Broadway showtunes, adult standards, jazz, and oldies.
I listened when it was talk in 2007-2008, Michael Jackson & Dr. Drew were fantastic.

I was tuning around on my car radio this afternoon and noticed that 105.1 HD3 has flipped to a classical format branded as KMozart2. It seems to be a different playlist than the main KMozart on 105.1 HD2/KMZT 1260.
It should be pointed out that 105.1's HD-3 stream has always been Monaural. HD-1,2, and 4 are Stereo.

I still wish he would give classic country a try on 1260. See how much more you can get for combo rates

The flaw in that reasoning is that Saul has never cared about making money on 1260. When he ran The Music Of Your Life in the late 1990s, most of the commercials were the network ones ... no local ads.

I wanted to be able to listen to 105.1 HD3 KMozart2 online from Illinois to hear the difference and hear if it would be something I would like. But I can not find it so I guess you can't listen online.

But he might have been getting comped to run the format.

As Chuck Southcott (MOYL's PD at the time, and well-known in L.A. for his programming stints at KGIL under Buckley and later at KMPC) told me at the time, Saul's motivation was that the format had as air talent Wink Martindale, Gary Owens, and Chuck himself.

As I said, where 1260 is concerned, revenue is not a concern for Saul.

I always thought the purpose of Unforgettable was to give Jerry Sharell a home after KKJZ

Both KKGO and KKJZ are managed by Mount Wilson Broadcasters.
KKGO, and KMZT are owned by Mount Wilson Broadcasters. KKJZ is owned by Cal State Long Beach and is managed by Mount Wilson Broadcasters.

Back
Top Bottom