• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Two-week old weather forecast on MPBN Radio

While listening to "Mid-Day" News at 12 today, (Monday Sept. 17) I was surprised to hear Meteorologist Paul Cousins giving the weather forecast for Labor Day, along with the outlook for heavy rains from Tropical Storm Isaac effecting the region mid-week.

Obviously an outdated forecast, but the annoying part was no apology or even acknowledgement from the on-air announcer of the error, or even an updated CURRENT forecast.

And I just got my membership renewal reminder in the mail the other day!!!

The technical gaffs during MPBN's news programming border on comical. Fortunately, their last couple of hires have actual radio experience, so things have been steadily improving (although Midday's host Ed Morin is a longtime radioman, so I don't know what went down there). I know they run on a shoe-string budget, but for a time they were hiring folks with no radio experience - and it was audibly apparent.

That said: I still readily support MPBN. From what I understand, they pay a decent wage (which as we know is a rare thing) and their journalism - despite its occasional amateurish production quality - is still among the best in Maine. And seriously, now that they've got some folks who know proper micing techniques and how to weave nat sound into a news piece (and a president who actual knows something about public radio news), I have a feeling they're turning a corner. Growing pains, right?

Agreed that MPBN Radio has the best Maine news program, Maine Things Considered. This is a gem of a program and covers topics that WCSH or any other station in the area would never touch. I'd even put it up against the local papers. I am worried that money given to MPBN goes 70% to TV and 30% to radio. Last time I gave I specified radio but not sure everyone does. MPBN TV is largely a cartoon operation and I'm not a fan of it's rather weak local programming. Wish the two would separate, much like NHPTV and NHPR.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom