• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TV happeinings I've noticed

Yeah, I remember Gaard from KIRO, but I never watched their Saturday morning newscasts. Maybe Rebecca's role is like what Brien Blakely used to do before he left - Rebecca does the early AM weather (4:30-6) and then MJ takes over. Because obviously M.J. is still doing weather at 7, 8 and 9AM at least.

King 5:
Jim Guy leaving for Jacksonville, FL last day is Friday.

Kiro 7
Noon newscast cut back 30 minutes now airs 12-12:30. Also a 30 minute 7 pm newscast launches Monday replaces The Insider which ends its run on Friday.

King 5:
Jim Guy leaving for Jacksonville, FL last day is Friday.

Kiro 7
Noon newscast cut back 30 minutes now airs 12-12:30. Also a 30 minute 7 pm newscast launches Monday replaces The Insider which ends its run on Friday.

Interesting...Jim Guy is probably moving down in market size because KING has made it clear that Jordan Steele is their new weather star. I liked Guy, but I understand KING's thinking here.

As for KIRO, probably more to gain by going up against KING's 7pm newscast than offering an hour at noon. Who will anchor the 7?

I didn't see too much of Jim Guy when I lived in the area pre-2013 (he mainly did weekends, I think??) but Guy was a good meteorologist and personality. Still not the same without Jeff Renner! I'm surprised TEGNA has held on to Rich Marriott.
RightThisMinute will air at 12:30pm on KIRO beginning 9/11. B&B is at 2PM with Millionaire following.

Interesting...Jim Guy is probably moving down in market size because KING has made it clear that Jordan Steele is their new weather star. I liked Guy, but I understand KING's thinking here.

TEGNA owns a duopoly in Jacksonville (WTLV 12 NBC \ WJXX 25 ABC. Branded as "First Coast News") Wonder if he'll be headed there? He also stated he has family in that area.

Last edited:
New 7pm newscast on KIRO starting Monday--anchored by Steve Raible, Monique Ming Laven, Jesse Jones and Morgan Palmer.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/seattles-kiro-to-launch-7-p-m-newscast/193840

At the expense of decreasing the KIRO noon news to a half hour. Which is actually smart, as KIRO never needed a whole hour at noon.

Some major traffic markets have learned that "later" evening news works, due to folks getting home later and later. While the actual instruments that offer news are changing, there is still a strong case that many still want real-time tv broadcasts, and KIRO is figuring this out. Until tech completely changes viewing patterns, placing newscasts in the right slots is still important.

KIRO did an hour of noon news for a long time back in the '80s and '90s. This is why The Bold & The Beautiful was preempted for so many years by Bonneville. It wasn't seen in full until KSTW took over CBS in 1995. KIRO continued the hour-long noon news through their UPN days, up to when they went back to CBS in 1997 (and cleared B&B).

As for KIRO's newscasts in the evening, I thought it made sense when they went to the 90 minute newscast at 5, followed by CBS news at 6:30. I really don't understand why the local newscast on so many stations is broken up by national news. Why not put the national news at one end or the other?

As for KIRO's newscasts in the evening, I thought it made sense when they went to the 90 minute newscast at 5, followed by CBS news at 6:30. I really don't understand why the local newscast on so many stations is broken up by national news. Why not put the national news at one end or the other?

There are differing theories on this. Back in the day, (70's/80's), LA stations ran all local from 4-7, then ran network news at 7. This is quite rare today, I think mainly due to the 7pm hour being important for syndicated offerings or an either further continuation of local news, as we are seeing in Seattle. The other interesting thing is in the Central and Mountain Zones, there are fewer hours available for local news with prime time starting at 7:00. Many in these time zones favor starting their local news at 4, but Seattle already starts at 4 except for KIRO.

For many years in the 70's/80's, Seattle stations were all lined up with 5-6 local, 6-6:30 network, and 6:30-7 local. I believe the first 4:00 newscast in Seattle was KOMO in the 80's, followed by KING starting a 4:30 also in that decade. Somebody can correct me if needed.

If that was the case, it didn't last long, as by the time I can remember things, KOMO was running Northwest Afternoon at 4. Then, about 12 years ago, they went to the 4:00 newscast, the only one in the market at the time. At that time, they were doing local 4-6, network 6-6:30, and local 6:30-7. It would be a year or so later that they went to the network at 5:30, and they've been that way ever since. I remember before the analog shutdown, we had a radio that could get the audio of the VHF TV channels and I would listen to KOMO on it when I got home from school, because it was the only news on at the time. I'd only listen to 5 if I wanted news at noon or 5:30, almost never listened to 7, never really have.

No, no, NWA was always at 3PM, from its start around 1985 to the cancellation in 2008. Then 'The Doctors' aired at 3PM in '08-'09, followed by The Dr. Oz Show the next year.
KOMO began their 4PM newscast around early 2005, you were right. They were running the short lived Jane Pauley Show at 4:00 then moved that to 1:05am (or 1:35, I can't remember) for the rest of the season. The prior two years they were airing Millionaire and Donny Osmond's Pyramid from 4-5, and before that, Rosie O'Donnell from 1997-2002 (first season aired on KING).
Out here in Yakima, all three networks have their national news at 5:30. Too bad one of them isn't at 6pm in case you miss the national report.

KIRO aired The Cosby Show at 6:30 back in the late '80s/early '90s. Otherwise it was local news at 6:30 for many years after that. KING aired their short-lived 'Top Story' show at 6:30 in the mid '80s, that was later replaced by straight news.

No, no, NWA was always at 3PM, from its start around 1985 to the cancellation in 2008. Then 'The Doctors' aired at 3PM in '08-'09, followed by The Dr. Oz Show the next year.
KOMO began their 4PM newscast around early 2005, you were right. They were running the short lived Jane Pauley Show at 4:00 then moved that to 1:05am (or 1:35, I can't remember) for the rest of the season. The prior two years they were airing Millionaire and Donny Osmond's Pyramid from 4-5, and before that, Rosie O'Donnell from 1997-2002 (first season aired on KING).
Out here in Yakima, all three networks have their national news at 5:30. Too bad one of them isn't at 6pm in case you miss the national report.

KIRO aired The Cosby Show at 6:30 back in the late '80s/early '90s. Otherwise it was local news at 6:30 for many years after that. KING aired their short-lived 'Top Story' show at 6:30 in the mid '80s, that was later replaced by straight news.

Yes, you beat me to it. Northwest Afternoon was a 3pm show. It started as a light news show, (hosted by Dave Foley and KOMO News anchor Kerry Brock, then evolved into the soap opera lead off with Cindy Reinhart (sp?), and KPLZ's Kent Phillips as main host. The show ran 1984-2008. In the early years, they did news teases for the 5:00 newscast.

KING-TV aired a 4:30 newscast in the early to mid 80's, called "A Closer Look" It was hosted by Hal Kalbum (sp?), later Hattie Kaufman, who later went on to CBS.

Last edited:
Yes, you beat me to it. Northwest Afternoon was a 3pm show. It started as a light news show, (hosted by Dave Foley and KOMO News anchor Kerry Brock, then evolved into the soap opera lead off with Cindy Reinhart (sp?), and KPLZ's Kent Phillips as main host. The show ran 1984-2008. In the early years, they did news teases for the 5:00 newscast.

KING-TV aired a 4:30 newscast in the early to mid 80's, called "A Closer Look" It was hosted by Hal Kalbum (sp?), later Hattie Kaufman, who later went on to CBS.

I remember KING 5 running "Newscope" at 4:30pm in the early/mid 80', hosted by Hal Kalbum and Hattie Kaufmann. It was a hybrid syndicated/local news show focusing on the lighter news of the day.

I seem to recall KIRO having a 4pm/4:30pm newscast sometime in the 80's, anchored by Nerissa Williams and Herb Weisbaum (or was it a young Steve Raible).

I remember KING 5 running "Newscope" at 4:30pm in the early/mid 80', hosted by Hal Kalbum and Hattie Kaufmann. It was a hybrid syndicated/local news show focusing on the lighter news of the day.

I seem to recall KIRO having a 4pm/4:30pm newscast sometime in the 80's, anchored by Nerissa Williams and Herb Weisbaum (or was it a young Steve Raible).

OK, guilty of a senior moment, even though I'm not a senior...

Yes, "Newscope" was the name of the KING 4:30 'cast. I'm not sure where I got "closer look", perhaps that was a feature within the newscast.

As for NW Afternoon, I have video of Kerry Brock on that show, but maybe she was filling in. But, yes Dana Middleton was the original co-host with Dick Foley.

Good catch! I had forgotten that, but I remember the promos for NW Afternoon, some of them sounded pretty interesting, but I never got to watch since I didn't get home from school until well after 4. By the time I was getting home early enough to catch it, the promos in the evening had stopped, or the show might have already been canceled by that time. I remember finding KHQ's news schedule kind of odd in Spokane, as they didn't have an hour of news at 5 or 6, but rather a half hour of each, national at 5:30 with everyone else. KXLY and KREM both had an hour at 6.

I didn't see too much of Jim Guy when I lived in the area pre-2013 (he mainly did weekends, I think??) but Guy was a good meteorologist and personality. Still not the same without Jeff Renner! I'm surprised TEGNA has held on to Rich Marriott.

Jim was hired to replace Chris Warren as weekend evening weather anchor in 2009. He spent a few years in that slot before moving to the #2 evening weatherman, working 4PM and 9PM newscasts, as well as NWCN.

When Rhonda Lee was hired full time, Jim shifted back to weekends. Who knows if they let him know he was going to be non-renewed at that time, or if he saw the writing on the wall. I read somewhere one of his adult children is in Florida, so this gets him closer to his family.

More generally ... Jim Guy is a true journeyman meteorologist. He's worked a bunch of markets over his 30 year career, with two long stints - KSTP for 12 years, and KING for 8. He had a good run in Minneapolis as the morning meteorologist at KSTP (where he was replaced by former KIRO weatherman, Patrick Hammer). When KING hired him, I was surprised to see someone in their 50s get a shot at a top 15 station, especially in a slot (weekend evenings) that is typically reserved for up and comers.

Anyways, watching him work, it was clear why he never really "stuck" anywhere. He reminds me of Monty Webb, who has had the same all over the place type of career. Jim Guy is a likable talent, with an easy personality and had great chemistry with everyone he shared a set with. He knows his weather, and comes across as the "authoritarian" weatherman (which fit well on a station with Jeff Renner and Rich Marriott). But his delivery... Being a weatherman requires being able to speak extemporaneously about what's on the green screen. And the best, they can just walk right through the weathercast without pausing for a second. They deliver the weather as if they're reading a script, but they're not. They're just that good. Jim Guy would get tripped up on his own weathercasts, pausing mid-sentence or occasionally looking like he lost his train of thought as he moved to the next slide. I found it a little distracting, something to be expected of a rookie in market 100, not a 30 year vet working in a top-15 market.

With Jim Guy's exit, TEGNA has now fully gutted what was the strongest weather department in town. Jeff Renner, Jim Guy, Lisa Van Cise, Mary Lee, and Keisha Burns have all exited, leaving Rich Marriott as the only personality left doing weather that was here 18 months ago. For a station that hung their hat on their weather coverage and was the top station in the market for 20 years in the primetime newscasts, I'm still struggling to figured out the corporate strategy here.

Last edited:
Here are the late afternoon/evening alignments for three west coast markets:

Seattle:
KOMO-ABC 4-5:30 local, 5:30-6 network, 6-7 pm local
KING-NBC 4-6 local, 6-6:30 network, 6:30-7:30 local
KIRO-CBS 5-6:30 local, 6:30-7 network
KCPQ-Fox 4-6pm

Portland:
KATU-ABC 4-5:30 local, 5:30-6 network, 6-7pm local
KOIN-CBS 4-6:30 local, 6:30 network
KGW-NBC 4-5:30 local, 5:30-6 network, 6-7:30 local
KPTV-Fox 5-7pm

Los Angeles
KCBS-CBS 5-6:30 local, 6:30-7 network
KNBC-NBC 4-6:30 local, 6:30-7 network
KABC-ABC 3-6:30 local 6:30-7 network
KTTW-FOX 5-6pm local
KTLA-CW 3-4pm local, 6-7pm local
KCAL-IND 4-5pm local

Interesting that both CBS affiliates in Seattle and Portland are following the LA model for network 6:30-7. Also noteworthy is KCAL runs local news beginning at 8pm through the evening. KCAL and KCBS are a combined news operation.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom