• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TV happeinings I've noticed

Jim was hired to replace Chris Warren as weekend evening weather anchor in 2009. He spent a few years in that slot before moving to the #2 evening weatherman, working 4PM and 9PM newscasts, as well as NWCN.

When Rhonda Lee was hired full time, Jim shifted back to weekends. Who knows if they let him know he was going to be non-renewed at that time, or if he saw the writing on the wall. I read somewhere one of his adult children is in Florida, so this gets him closer to his family.

More generally ... Jim Guy is a true journeyman meteorologist. He's worked a bunch of markets over his 30 year career, with two long stints - KSTP for 12 years, and KING for 8. He had a good run in Minneapolis as the morning meteorologist at KSTP (where he was replaced by former KIRO weatherman, Patrick Hammer). When KING hired him, I was surprised to see someone in their 50s get a shot at a top 15 station, especially in a slot (weekend evenings) that is typically reserved for up and comers.

Anyways, watching him work, it was clear why he never really "stuck" anywhere. He reminds me of Monty Webb, who has had the same all over the place type of career. Jim Guy is a likable talent, with an easy personality and had great chemistry with everyone he shared a set with. He knows his weather, and comes across as the "authoritarian" weatherman (which fit well on a station with Jeff Renner and Rich Marriott). But his delivery... Being a weatherman requires being able to speak extemporaneously about what's on the green screen. And the best, they can just walk right through the weathercast without pausing for a second. They deliver the weather as if they're reading a script, but they're not. They're just that good. Jim Guy would get tripped up on his own weathercasts, pausing mid-sentence or occasionally looking like he lost his train of thought as he moved to the next slide. I found it a little distracting, something to be expected of a rookie in market 100, not a 30 year vet working in a top-15 market.

With Jim Guy's exit, TEGNA has now fully gutted what was the strongest weather department in town. Jeff Renner, Jim Guy, Lisa Van Cise, Mary Lee, and Keisha Burns have all exited, leaving Rich Marriott as the only personality left doing weather that was here 18 months ago. For a station that hung their hat on their weather coverage and was the top station in the market for 20 years in the primetime newscasts, I'm still struggling to figured out the corporate strategy here.

You mentioned Monty Webb above. I may have mentioned this before, but he is currently doing weekday mornings on KNDU/KNDO (Tri-Cities/Yakima). This one time Seattle and Louisville weather anchor is in market # somewhere below 200. Perhaps his choice, but not sure.

Jim was hired to replace Chris Warren as weekend evening weather anchor in 2009. He spent a few years in that slot before moving to the #2 evening weatherman, working 4PM and 9PM newscasts, as well as NWCN.

When Rhonda Lee was hired full time, Jim shifted back to weekends. Who knows if they let him know he was going to be non-renewed at that time, or if he saw the writing on the wall. I read somewhere one of his adult children is in Florida, so this gets him closer to his family.

More generally ... Jim Guy is a true journeyman meteorologist. He's worked a bunch of markets over his 30 year career, with two long stints - KSTP for 12 years, and KING for 8. He had a good run in Minneapolis as the morning meteorologist at KSTP (where he was replaced by former KIRO weatherman, Patrick Hammer). When KING hired him, I was surprised to see someone in their 50s get a shot at a top 15 station, especially in a slot (weekend evenings) that is typically reserved for up and comers.

Anyways, watching him work, it was clear why he never really "stuck" anywhere. He reminds me of Monty Webb, who has had the same all over the place type of career. Jim Guy is a likable talent, with an easy personality and had great chemistry with everyone he shared a set with. He knows his weather, and comes across as the "authoritarian" weatherman (which fit well on a station with Jeff Renner and Rich Marriott). But his delivery... Being a weatherman requires being able to speak extemporaneously about what's on the green screen. And the best, they can just walk right through the weathercast without pausing for a second. They deliver the weather as if they're reading a script, but they're not. They're just that good. Jim Guy would get tripped up on his own weathercasts, pausing mid-sentence or occasionally looking like he lost his train of thought as he moved to the next slide. I found it a little distracting, something to be expected of a rookie in market 100, not a 30 year vet working in a top-15 market.

With Jim Guy's exit, TEGNA has now fully gutted what was the strongest weather department in town. Jeff Renner, Jim Guy, Lisa Van Cise, Mary Lee, and Keisha Burns have all exited, leaving Rich Marriott as the only personality left doing weather that was here 18 months ago. For a station that hung their hat on their weather coverage and was the top station in the market for 20 years in the primetime newscasts, I'm still struggling to figured out the corporate strategy here.

You mentioned Monty Webb above. I may have mentioned this before, but he is currently doing weekday mornings on KNDU/KNDO (Tri-Cities/Yakima). This one time Seattle and Louisville weather anchor is in market # somewhere below 100. Perhaps his choice, but not sure.

From 2014:

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...igst-leaving-whas-pacific-northwest/18960493/

Last edited:
You mentioned Monty Webb above. I may have mentioned this before, but he is currently doing weekday mornings on KNDU/KNDO (Tri-Cities/Yakima). This one time Seattle and Louisville weather anchor is in market # somewhere below 200. Perhaps his choice, but not sure.

Monty Webb did 4 years at WBBM in Chicago as the AM Meteorologist. He left to return to Seattle where he was chief at KCPQ, replacing Henry Webrink (DiCarlo) who left for LA.

So... he's been a Chief Meteorologist in market #14 and #49, as well as the AM guy in market #3, and has had two separate weekend stints in market #14. His longest stint, anywhere, was Louisville, where he lasted 6 years at one station. He's good, but has never quite stuck around, anywhere.

Mariners broadcaster Dave Sims is the same story, different industry. Just some guys out there are like this ... they seem to have all the tools, but when they get the position, there is just something that prevents them from holding on.

Webb started at KNDO-TV a long time ago, around 1990-91!

Here are the late afternoon/evening alignments for three west coast markets:

Seattle:
KOMO-ABC 4-5:30 local, 5:30-6 network, 6-7 pm local
KING-NBC 4-6 local, 6-6:30 network, 6:30-7:30 local
KIRO-CBS 5-6:30 local, 6:30-7 network
KCPQ-Fox 4-6pm

Portland:
KATU-ABC 4-5:30 local, 5:30-6 network, 6-7pm local
KOIN-CBS 4-6:30 local, 6:30 network
KGW-NBC 4-5:30 local, 5:30-6 network, 6-7:30 local
KPTV-Fox 5-7pm

Los Angeles
KCBS-CBS 5-6:30 local, 6:30-7 network
KNBC-NBC 4-6:30 local, 6:30-7 network
KABC-ABC 3-6:30 local 6:30-7 network
KTTW-FOX 5-6pm local
KTLA-CW 3-4pm local, 6-7pm local
KCAL-IND 4-5pm local

Interesting that both CBS affiliates in Seattle and Portland are following the LA model for network 6:30-7. Also noteworthy is KCAL runs local news beginning at 8pm through the evening. KCAL and KCBS are a combined news operation.

Don't forget the BRAND NEW KIRO newscast at 7-7:30p!!

Don't forget the BRAND NEW KIRO newscast at 7-7:30p!!

Yes, I had written that down in my notes, but somehow didn't make the post. But thanks. Not being in the market, are they using the main set for this 7pm 'cast? I would assume they would.

Last edited:
From what I am told Jim Gray is staying with the company just in Florida. That's why they extended his time at king since his last day was supposed to be last Friday.

KIRO 7 at 7 uses the same main set mostly standing. Heavy focus on Jesse Jones

From what I am told Jim Gray is staying with the company just in Florida. That's why they extended his time at king since his last day was supposed to be last Friday.

KIRO 7 at 7 uses the same main set mostly standing. Heavy focus on Jesse Jones

That is what I expected, after they invested so much into that set. However, over the years they have used different sets for different newscasts, that is why I asked.

The "standing" is certainly common in today's tv news world. Ironically, KIRO was one of the first to do this back in the early 90's with their "out of the box" format. Unfortunately, it was clumsily put together and the audience gave a thumbs down. But perhaps they were ahead of their time,

That is what I expected, after they invested so much into that set. However, over the years they have used different sets for different newscasts, that is why I asked.

The "standing" is certainly common in today's tv news world. Ironically, KIRO was one of the first to do this back in the early 90's with their "out of the box" format. Unfortunately, it was clumsily put together and the audience gave a thumbs down. But perhaps they were ahead of their time,

More on this...it is quite fascinating from those who were there...

http://mynorthwest.com/545326/remembering-seattles-news-out-of-the-box/

The "standing" is certainly common in today's tv news world.

That's known in the news biz as a "walk and talk". Some anchors that have spent years behind an anchor desk struggle with it, where the younger street reporters that are used to standing for a live hit, have no problem transitioning when its time to advance in their careers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom