• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

turnover in sales

T

tcsnrayp

I thought you should see one message from our board here in Sin-Sin-Nasty, Ohio. You can read all of the messages by going to
"Cincinnati" and look for the topic heading "turnover in sales"

>>>from hipporadio

Quote from: KevinFodor on August 09, 2007, 10:50:48 am
Add all of it up: and it leads to the best sellers getting out of radio and selling something that can make them big bucks.

I did [but not so sure about the "B-I-G bucks" part Wink ] – and I doubt I’d even entertain the notion of working for nearly-any of these corporate [insert fav noun here]. I’ll need to shake many hands to connect with enough fingers to count-off all the others I personally know who hold the same position. Many of us started with little-more than a copasetic account list on a station that was less-than-stellar in the book [if there even was one]. I began at a graveyard AM that couldn’t cover the market at night, but the “Three Ps” paid-off grandly [and well-before I even turned 30] – as it did for many others who had a “work ethic”, basic integrity, and quality management/ownership who understood that a good salesperson isn’t paid to just “wheel the deal” – but build loyalty and grow sales accordingly. ALL three of the former [especially the third] seem in short supply these days in the new-millennium radio game. That unfortunate reality isn’t unique to broadcast sales – but it certainly seems to congregate disproportionately there.

Like any good personality, talented production pro, and engineer; good sales-types can easily-find other opportunities when the "suits" keep setting fire to the green pasture out back; but a sales professional has the option of trekking beyond the boundary of the station across town – into a business unrelated to radio and one minus the modern-day baggage of broadcasting. They are doing just that – and in shockingly increased numbers. On a recent visit to Cincy, I can recall being in the car with an advertising industry “bud”. A sales-recruitment ad came on 55KRC. He looked at me and said: “There they go again... ‘Need my cell? [he snidely chuckled] Nope, I didn’t think so!” That’s a sad state of affairs considering it came from a man who places orders for advertising.

Quote from: flakunkel on August 08, 2007, 07:48:30 pm
When CCU salespeople start making too much money the company cuts their commission rates. Then they quit. CCU would rather take in less revenue than pay people. [?]

You’d think this to be a fruitless method of managing a sales-team member, but those shenanigans have been going on at low-class radio operations for 25+ years... Just NOT at the so-called “top shelf” stations. So this is happening at a CCU station? I’ll let you folks fill in the blanks and draw your own conclusions; but before you think that’s some wild conspiracy theory, consider this startling revelation:

Quote from: dbdigital on August 08, 2007, 07:28:15 pm
I came across this quote from Bob Lefsetz of Los Angeles FM talker KLSX that I felt I had to share:

“Many people believe the owners are not going to fix radio. They're just gonna consolidate and add commercials, withdrawing cash until nobody listens anymore and the stations have been devalued to next to nothing.”

« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 12:48:18 pm by hipporadio »

The wild, virtually unfettered days of expansion fueled by easy leverage are ending very quickly. They had a wild ride squeezing not just broadcast but many other industries. The time of the professional is coming back around just as the sun rises in the East every morning. The dark has been agonizing and slow much like a nightmare. Look at the implications of how the fed jumped to support the financial markets on Friday by changing the discount rate and the normal payback period thereof. Remember that it was just a score of months ago that you could borrow 8-10 times cash flow. Twice that time and it was 10-15 times. Now it's what....3-5 times cash flow? Bet that tightens even more before long. Nasty investor fights should begin soon if they haven't already begun. Bankrupcies will ensue. Many people who spent years building a station(s) but were dropped by the new buyers and their short term profit motivations are about to be asked to fix things. Those people will be the ones that will get to rebuild Radio. They will reinvigorate the creative side of our business and bring back what we all miss.

If you have an equity stake in a group with hopes of flipping the group(s) for a profit, well I don't feel sorry for you. In pursuit of greed rather than excellence you'll soon be sending checks in to keep things operational.

For everyone that "gets it", the alarm clock is going off right now. Wash your face, brush your teeth and get ready to give up that sleepy style of life you were forced into accepting because you were unceremoniously dropped. Creativity, promotion, local news, local weather, local play selection, local programming and all are soon going to be crying loudly for you rather than sperning you for some genius that spent an internship at R&R. The biggest rebuild will come on the revenue side. Owners seeking easy money for a decade have bread sales teams doing the same. Rates are pretty much in the crapper, sales people that can make their clients money have been replaced by order takers that conduct fire sales every month or two.

It is going to be fun and I for one am very ready.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom