• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TUDN 1010 ENDING

Status
Not open for further replies.
The job site says "bilingual."
That means Spanish is required. If they were going to do any pure English programming, that would not be a requirement.

Every person I know... over a dozen... who has actually been interviewed by them has their Spanish knowledge verified.

My own simple test is "if you hit your finger with a hammer, what is the first word you say?" I ask the question in Spanish, and if the answer is not a word in Spanish, the interview is over.

The money was easy. When the Soros interests learned that Univision was about to sell those stations to Salem, they found some like-minded Hispanic activists and helped them create a company to make a higher offer and buy the stations.
Yes, there was a lot of talk about that possibility. Alas, it was not meant to be. Although, they haven't given up the idea for a station in Houston. That doesn't mean that it will happen, though.

Yes, there was a lot of talk about that possibility. Alas, it was not meant to be. Although, they haven't given up the idea for a station in Houston. That doesn't mean that it will happen, though.
Where is Salem operating a Spanish language conservative talk format? Or was it just planned? I assume we are not talking about the religious Radio Luz format running on Salem’s KTNO 620 in DFW.

The fact is that if Univision thought there was a market for Spanish conservative talk nationally, they have the resources to pull it off. They had a station in Miami already doing it. But that was one of the stations they sold to LMN.

The fact is that if Univision thought there was a market for Spanish conservative talk nationally, they have the resources to pull it off. They had a station in Miami already doing it. But that was one of the stations they sold to LMN.
Not sure I would use Univision as an example of trying new formats. In markets like Houston and Dallas, they have had much success in big part because of Huge signals. Any time they are the underdog they are killed!

And WAQI in Miami, Radio Mambí, had been talk when Cecil Heftel became a partner in 1993, becoming 100% Heftel's in 1996 when founder Amancio Suárez sold his share. It then went through ownership with Hispanic Broadcasting and then Univision before now-owner TelevisaUnivision sold it to LMN.

"Back in the day" it was always in the top couple of stations in Miami, gradually fading as the virulently anti-Castro Cuban exiles aged.

When HBC had its own AM talk division, we never thought about doing polarized talk, left or right, on any other station as the 8 other AM talk stations were focused on localism and issues affecting first generation immigrants. WAQI was the exception, and allowed to be the voice of the Cuban exile as so many Miami business owners were listeners.

Last edited:
My own simple test is "if you hit your finger with a hammer, what is the first word you say?" I ask the question in Spanish, and if the answer is not a word in Spanish, the interview is over.
truly the test of all time

Attachments

• aae269f03577af5ff9e941c74806fc96.jpg
    aae269f03577af5ff9e941c74806fc96.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 7
Not sure I would use Univision as an example of trying new formats. In markets like Houston and Dallas, they have had much success in big part because of Huge signals. Any time they are the underdog they are killed!
Oh, really? The multi-book average #2 Spanish language station in LA is Recuerdo, a pair of class A stations.

In any case, when a station has an inferior signal it will almost always be beaten by a better one. That does not mean it can not make money.

None. But the new owners, with zero radio experience, apparently don't know that.
Having someone with zero radio experience purchase a radio station seems to me to be a prescription for disaster. An example would be that AM station in Lumberton, under the previous two owners. I just hope Univision cashed the check.

Sounds like propaganda to me, aired toward a specific racial demographic.
Not a "racial demographic". Aimed at Hispanics in Spanish. "Hispanic" is not a race.

Having someone with zero radio experience purchase a radio station seems to me to be a prescription for disaster.

By the same token David Field is a second generation radio owner whose father still has a big stake in Audacy. Neither of them saved Audacy from disaster.

AM radio is in trouble. The way to fix it is with new ideas. You're not going to get it from people with experience. All they'll tell you is to sell to religious groups or do brokered ethnic. This group wanted to buy stations that Univision wanted to sell. Experience is not a qualification the FCC looks at when approving a sale.

There are two truisms in radio: many new ideas come from those not in the business and the pioneers that execute them typically fail. Those that analyze those pioneers and execute their plan typically are successful with the new idea because they improved on the initial plan.

Radio needs new ideas now more than ever. Especially needed are plans with non-traditional monetizing.

As much as I'd like to see that happen, I don't see it happening.
Really? In 2009, tge federal government suddenly made all analog NTSC televisions obsolete. I see the move to MA3 to not be as dramatic, but as more stations convert to digital, there will be less and less analog AM stations, and the public will make the move organically.

MA3 is fully-compatible with existing HD receivers, which means the technology is already available to consumers.

Really? In 2009, tge federal government suddenly made all analog NTSC televisions obsolete. I see the move to MA3 to not be as dramatic, but as more stations convert to digital, there will be less and less analog AM stations, and the public will make the move organically.
People buy stand-alone TVs. They understand better video.

They have not been buying stand-alone radios for a decade. Audio is part of either a cell phone that combines multiple functions in one smaller device or they get something like the Amazon Alexa for home use where you can get everything from recipes, workouts and even a timer along with audio streams.
MA3 is fully-compatible with existing HD receivers, which means the technology is already available to consumers.
There are essentially no HD receivers in homes. In fact, a third of homes don't have any kind of radio any more.

With the average car now around 12 years old, and a relatively small number having HD, it will take years and years to develop a new tech. In the meantime, in the top 100 markets only 180 stations have a usable signal day and night over at least 80% of the market, and those good signals won't throw away existing audience to go pure digital. The remaining stations are not viable to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom