• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

True Oldies Channel Going Away - WCBS-FM HD3

I was wondering if this station would find a home, after WVIP 93.5 was sold. It took a few months, but they recently started leasing time on WGBB 1240 AM, and now added this.
It's good that another HD channel in this area could be leased out. But it seems odd that it will be on an IHeart HD channel for only a few weeks, and then will move to an Audacy station's HD channel. It is also rather surprising that Audacy continues to broadcast Channel Q on both WINS FM HD3 and WNEW FM HD2. Logically, they could have put the Caribbean broadcaster on one of those channels.

WKTU 103.5 HD3 is already on with its CaribStar Radio programming. I first saw it on a bandscan video on YouTube and then heard it for myself. I'm glad to see that these Caribbean music programmers have found new homes after leaving the former WVIP.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240412_162944_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240412_162944_Gallery.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240412_163011_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240412_163011_Gallery.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 9
It's good that another HD channel in this area could be leased out. But it seems odd that it will be on an IHeart HD channel for only a few weeks, and then will move to an Audacy station's HD channel. It is also rather surprising that Audacy continues to broadcast Channel Q on both WINS FM HD3 and WNEW FM HD2. Logically, they could have put the Caribbean broadcaster on one of those channels.
CaribStar Radio and Roadblock Radio are separate programming services that will be on 2 different HD channels.

CaribStar Radio and Roadblock Radio are separate programming services that will be on 2 different HD channels.
OK, I see that now. The former was on WVIP HD3, while I believe the latter is new to the airwaves.
It still seems odd that Audacy didn't replace one of the 2 signals broadcasting Channel Q with the Caribbean broadcast.

OK, I see that now. The former was on WVIP HD3, while I believe the latter is new to the airwaves.
It still seems odd that Audacy didn't replace one of the 2 signals broadcasting Channel Q with the Caribbean broadcast.
In all probability, the channels are leased for money to the Jamaican groups. It's not a station programming decision but, instead, a sales situation.

Perhaps Audacy has other plans for either WINS HD3 or WNEW HD2.

Since I no longer live in the market, can someone describe the quality of HD2-3-4 signal reception in "the City"? I would think the tall buildings play havoc with the lower bit-rate signals.

Last edited:
The True Oldies Channel will still be heard on the iHeart app.
Well BruceNYC, no oldies, no smooth jazz, no classic dance, no true Spanish AC, no Spanish classic hits, no classic R&B, no soft AC, no mainstream rock, no nothing and that's it, it's finished, it's over right here in NYC.

Well BruceNYC, no oldies, no smooth jazz, no classic dance, no true Spanish AC, no Spanish classic hits, no classic R&B, no soft AC, no mainstream rock, no nothing and that's it, it's finished, it's over right here in NYC.
What about standards? I used to listened to WNEW-AM “11-3-O” back in the 1980’s and early 1990’s, WQEW from 1992 through 1998, WNSW’s “Sunny 1430” from 1999 until the early 2000’s and WJUX’s “Julebox Radio” back in the 1990’s and early 2000’s, and those were great. And now, thanks to WLML’s “Legends 100.3”, Mike McGann is now my new favorite midday host where he plays Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Nat King Cole, Peggy Lee, Ella Fitzgerald, and many more. This is where MOR/standards picks up where NYC left off. I listen to it every weekday from 10AM until 2PM. I do have airchecks from the first week I listened to which is Mike McGann, and I will give you an example as I am posting it later this week if I get a chance.
The True Oldies Channel will still be heard on the iHeart app.
Yes it is. The link is down below, and you can still listen to it after May 1st.

Stop thinking like its the pre-internet days. You have access to all of those formats and more via streaming and other platforms.

Those formats you mention would exist if there were audience demand for it and they made financial sense for one of the license holders. Some of them have been tried in New York over and over again. They don't work here at the moment.

Stop thinking like its the pre-internet days. You have access to all of those formats and more via streaming and other platforms.

Those formats you mention would exist if there were audience demand for it and they made financial sense for one of the license holders. Some of them have been tried in New York over and over again. They don't work here at the moment.
There’s TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Audacy, etc. those are radio streaming apps that you have an option to choose. For me, I’m using my TuneIn app to enjoy music and choose stations for other places and choose my favorite DJ’s whenever I want.

For example, If I can listen to Bob Miller every morning on WBPM, I go with him. And when Mike McGann comes on in middays, I listened to WLML’s “Legends 100.3”, and after that, I listened to WLNG and got Chris Buckhout in afternoon, and then to WBPM with Randy Turner in evenings along with Jimmy Howes on WALL and JJ Carter on WBPM. Those are favorite DJ’s on different stations where I’m using my TuneIn app.

Folks say, "Just listen to these stations on an app. It's 2024!"

But some drivers don't have cars where you can feed audio from your phone over the speakers. If your car is older or inexpensive, it's not 2024 yet.

And of course, putting a station you'd like to hear on your phone and then getting that on your car speakers takes some steps. You may not want to do this while you are driving. So even if your car is equipped to play your phone over the speakers, it's not like turning on an in-dash radio, punching the button for the station you want and hearing it instantly.

But some drivers don't have cars where you can feed audio from your phone over the speakers. If your car is older or inexpensive, it's not 2024 yet.
Some? Yes. But every day 50,000 people buy brand new automobiles, of which 100% have the ability to connect phone audio.

The connected car is here for most of us, probably around 70% of cars (and a higher proportion of households).

Folks say, "Just listen to these stations on an app. It's 2024!"

And of course, putting a station you'd like to hear on your phone and then getting that on your car speakers takes some steps. You may not want to do this while you are driving. So even if your car is equipped to play your phone over the speakers, it's not like turning on an in-dash radio, punching the button for the station you want and hearing it instantly.
And? You cannot solve for every edge case. There have always, always been genres and types of programming not heard on the radio in a given location - or any location in some cases. It is not remotely a sustainable business model to try to pick up the handful of hypotheticals who have an old car, the understanding or patience to stream on the road, don't have or understand smart speakers, etc.

The world needs to move on, however harsh that may sound.

I believe soon there will be two types of "listening." The cities will be internet based. Out here in flyover county if you are more than 5 or 10 miles from a 4 lane highway terrestrial radio is still need. Right now there is no incentive for cell companies to build out towers to totally cover the entire lower 48 states.

Two big questions: will satellite data ever get cheaper than cell data? Will the US ever get the town covering "wifi" service South Korea has? Both would take a lot of $$ to build out.

Back
Top Bottom