• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

? Towers Just West Of Peninsula

I noticed a group of towers on the right while driving north on I-271 approaching the Oh. 303 exit. I exited and went down Major Road and saw a few individual towers and a group of 5 on a large property that is gated. Anyone know anything about this?

Seeing as how those towers are within the Cuyahoga Valley National Park they could be government owned towers being used for nefarious purposes [as some people would claim]. Looking at Google Earth images shows that some of the towers appear to have radials extending from them, like old ham radio towers of days gone by. Curiously, doing a street level view shows that a large section of that area where you might be able to see the towers through the tree line appears to be blurred out. Pretty strange.

Seeing as how those towers are within the Cuyahoga Valley National Park they could be government owned towers being used for nefarious purposes [as some people would claim]. Looking at Google Earth images shows that some of the towers appear to have radials extending from them, like old ham radio towers of days gone by.

The Park Service rents tower space in national parks all over the US. Nothing unusual there.

AM radio towers have radials, too. Again, nothing unusual.

A view in Google Earth reveals what looks like a 5 tower AM array, with a center tower and 4 equally spaced towers in a box / parallelogram configuration. There are shadows to the "top" or north side that may be two more smaller towers. If that is the case, it fits the configuration for WCUE 1150.

David has definitely identified WCUE on the eastern edge of the national park. But there's actually 7 towers at the site, one that appears to be much taller than the 6 AM towers. I'm not sure who the 7th tower belongs to.

Last edited:
WCUE 1150 is on Bellaire Lane in Summit county, about 5 miles to the south, same location as WKDD 98.1. The tall 7th tower is WKDD.

The Park Service rents tower space in national parks all over the US. Nothing unusual there.

AM radio towers have radials, too. Again, nothing unusual.

A view in Google Earth reveals what looks like a 5 tower AM array, with a center tower and 4 equally spaced towers in a box / parallelogram configuration. There are shadows to the "top" or north side that may be two more smaller towers. If that is the case, it fits the configuration for WCUE 1150.

Being facetious, guess goofiness doesn't translate well to the printed word. Yes, I know they're not being used for nefarious purposes. But who's to say that they aren't beaming out signals trying to convince people that SpaghettiOs are delicious? Yes I'm aware that the park service rents out tower space. Those towers may even predate the CVNP for all I know. Yes, I know that AM towers have radials, just wasn't quite sure with the Google Earth pics if that's what I was actually seeing as they seem to faded in and out of the picture so wasn't sure if it was a picture "mistake" by G.E. WKDD/WCUE's tower are located on Bellaire Lane in Peninsula, OH. That I'm sure about having worked there 30+ years ago. And looking at WCUE's sight, I'll grant that it looks similar to the configuration off Major road. But they may not even be connected to any radio stations at all.

Last edited:
I have done quite a bit of research on this site, as I cycle past it frequently, and noticed lots of
activity and ultra-high security measures in place. The property is cleverly disguised as a farm, but
it's obviously much more than that. The owner is listed as NO8D and upon further
investigation, the US Government owns a few structures on the property (including a large solar field
generator, gun range and transmitter cooling pond). Google earth has all ground views blocked. I won't much
more than that, as I don't want men-in-black knocking on my door.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom