• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tour of WFSD-LP 107.9

My good friend Brad Joyce was gracious enough to give me a tour of LPFM station
WFSD-LP 107.9 this past weekend.

Ever since Goat Rodeo Cowboy's post about brainstorming for a possible LPFM start-up I've been kind of
thinking about trying for one myself. Now that I've been pretty much permanently "beached" from the
local radio scene (no jobs to be had..lots of VTs and satellite) I seem to be floundering a little as far
as my professional life goes. I did radio here for 24 years. I don't seem to know exactly what I should be
doing now I guess.

WFSD-LP is licensed to the local SDA church. Their station is located in the church in the same room
as the church PA system. The 85 foot tower resembles a flagpole.

The equipment rack is very clean, and every unit is neatly labeled. The studio consists of the audio board,
program computer with Raduga automation, a mic and one combo cassette/CD player. They also have a streaming computer located in this area.

They have only a couple of volunteers, and all they do basically is change the automation. They program
some local music on a daily basis but take most of the programs via satellite.

If anyone would like to see the pics I'll be happy to email them to you.

William,

Yes. It's been running on 1610 AM since 2007 but I kept the WJJD 1160 branding as
WJJD-Revisted.

It is also streaming via Live365 at http://www.wjjd1160country.com.

Interestingly enough, our numbers are improving every month on the stream.

Alan, I sent you an e-mail early last month and a PM on this board regarding Musicbox1610. The west coast version is going on the air in 12 days from two sites.
www.radiobrandy.com/Musicbox1610.html

WFSD-LP is licensed to the local SDA church. Their station is located in the church in the same room
as the church PA system. The 85 foot tower resembles a flagpole.
Ironically, we are involved in setting up a part 15 AM station, at an Antelope Valley church. The station will not only serve the 15 acre parking lot, but the surrounding homes; including several rest homes across the street.

Steve
www.radiobrandy.com

WCRS LP FM is a full service community FCC licensed radio station. We broadcast about 91 hours a week. 6AM to 9AM Sunday to Saturday, and again 3PM to 1AM Sunday to Saturday. WCRS have a live web stream broadcasting 24/7 in stereo. We are Columbus Ohio Pacifica Radio affiliate, local shows, Pacifica syndicated shows like Dem Now with Amy Goodman, and Free Speech Radio News, Local public affairs shows like Danno Talk of the Town witch is broadcast live Wednesdays at 4PM. Tom Over/Conscious Voices, Star Shine and Clay. Music Shows like Your Music witch started as a local music show now slowly becoming a syndicated show.

Some of the hardware we used are the following: Software: Shoutcast software with winamp for the automation. PC running Windows XP SP3, Sony Sound Forge for editing. Hardware: One TASCAM's CD-160 player, TASCAM mixing board, Sony Headphones, Two Technics Turntables, with two mixers, one cassette with left and right audio ports. Two digital audio recorders with one Compact Flash Card and the other SD memory card. 3 to 4 microphones. We are a fully functional non commercial, fully FCC compliant and licensed, community radio station that accepting underwriting.

We have 50 plus volunteers, been featured in local media. We are working on getting Thom Hartmann Program live to aired on WCRS.

More info http://wcrsfm.org/ http://wcrsfm.org/amygoodman

Your station (WCRS LPFM) affiliation with Pacifica Radio with its Marxist mindset, might help explain why you are so opposed to us Capitalist owning our own money making part 15 AM business. Amy Goodman, is an American hating Marxist to the bone. The Renaissance Pleasure Fair, was started in Southern California as a funding source for openly Communist KPFK; a Pacifica Radio station in Los Angeles.

While I despise greedy mega corporate radio; I'm still a capitalist at heart, and like being my own boss. Your post make it clear you are opposed to Capitalism with all your negative labels like referring to a legal form of broadcasting as "pirate". Afraid to share the airwaves with someone that might disagree with your anti American radio station?

Steve
www.outlawradio.us

XRQKFM,

Since you have no clue on what part 15 broadcasting is that if you're are operating your so called part 15 station that the unlicensed AM will not be a commercial venture. If you do this then you are in violation of the FCC rules and regs. All Low Power broadcasting under 250 watts for FM and AM must be non commercial. Since you are a knuckle dragging mouth breather, who doesn't have any reading comprehension skills.

Why can't you get a real FCC license for Low Power broadcasting? Too cheap to apply for one, or you are too busy making low wages at your local 7-11?

Background info: I went to an private business school Franklin University, currently I'm employed by Chase Bank help desk support part time.

Since Pacifica doesn't accept money from the CPB or corporate money or influence. They are equally critical of both parties. The reason I support it that they are truly independent unbiased media, unlike Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, and NPR and PRI. . I do make a policy that I don't listen to junkies, like Rush and Glenn.

Then a knuckle dragging mouth breather, like yourself, doesn't understand Marxism.

Willcall. There is no rule specifically stating what program content on a Part 15 station can or cannot be. There are no rules specifically stating that at Part 15 radio station must be non commercial.

I've dealt directly with the FCC on this issue. They don't care how a station is programmed or whether or not it is a for profit, non commercial or hobbyist station. This is the reason you see so many car dealers and realtors using Talking House and other FCC Type Accepted transmitters for commercial use. There is no regulation that prohibits making a profit with a Part 15 transmitter.

However, if there is, and you post it here, I'll gladly listen...

willcail said:
XRQKFM,

Since you have no clue on what part 15 broadcasting is that if you're are operating your so called part 15 station that the unlicensed AM will not be a commercial venture. If you do this then you are in violation of the FCC rules and regs. All Low Power broadcasting under 250 watts for FM and AM must be non commercial. Since you are a knuckle dragging mouth breather, who doesn't have any reading comprehension skills.

Why can't you get a real FCC license for Low Power broadcasting? Too cheap to apply for one, or you are too busy making low wages at your local 7-11?

Background info: I went to an private business school Franklin University, currently I'm employed by Chase Bank help desk support part time.

Since Pacifica doesn't accept money from the CPB or corporate money or influence. They are equally critical of both parties. The reason I support it that they are truly independent unbiased media, unlike Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, and NPR and PRI. . I do make a policy that I don't listen to junkies, like Rush and Glenn.

Then a knuckle dragging mouth breather, like yourself, doesn't understand Marxism.

OK... now that you've calmed down from bashing Steve who has more broadcast experience than anyone I know regarding Part 15.

Now cite for us the Part 15 regulation or for that matter the Part 73 regulation that indicates devices using Part 15 transmitters are to be non-commercial in nature... there is no such regulation and the 250 watt or less rule is for LPFM (unfortunate for you LPFM) since there is no LPAM (look it up in the FCC website) in service that anyone is aware of... of course a data clerk on the phones at Chase qualifies you to understand the FCC rules better than anyone else... right, no wonder my Chase credit cards are a mess!

Radiopilot

I do internal tech support, for example telling people to plug in their computers before using them. Plus according to the FCC rep that works with Simply Living (the owners of WCRS LPFM) that part 15 is primarily for non commercial use. They are trying to revise the rules to make it impossible to used it for commercial purposes.

Really If you want to get into commercial radio apply for an license like everyone else. Build the station, get investors, raise startup capital, so and so forth.

I find your lack of knowledge laughable.

willcail said:
I do internal tech support, for example telling people to plug in their computers before using them. Plus according to the FCC rep that works with Simply Living (the owners of WCRS LPFM) that part 15 is primarily for non commercial use. They are trying to revise the rules to make it impossible to used it for commercial purposes.

Really If you want to get into commercial radio apply for an license like everyone else. Build the station, get investors, raise startup capital, so and so forth.

I find your lack of knowledge laughable.

For the record FCC reps working with Simply Living are not the ones making FCC Law and incorporating that law into the FCC record, it's silly for someone like you to make this assessment, it's laughable at best for someone with minimal broadcast skills to outline what others have done with way more experience than some bank clerk.

For the record is the LPFM you currently assist one you created and are you on the board for the original LPFM application or are you one of the 'assistants' or volunteers on the station, did you personally set up the studio, transmitter, sound boards, wiring, etc. Do you create the programming or just get in front of the mike repeating word for word what is written in some script?

As far as I'm concerned if the FCC agents that came over to my station (two I might add) and gave me blessings on not just my installation but the programming and the content of the whole layout... they indicated LPFM's they have seen could learn something from my little station, some LPFM's are a joke from some of the pics I've seen posted... could yours be one of those?

Oh ... almost forgot... post the FCC rules that Part 15 cannot broadcast commercial material... still waiting.

Radiopilot

Willcall. Contact your Detroit FCC Field Office or Raymond LaForge the Director of Enforcement in DC for the FCC if you need clarification about whether or not you can make money with a Part 15 transmitter. The FCC rep you are dealing with is not the right guy to talk to about this subject. The government is highly compartmental and one department sitting right next to another in the same office won't have a clue about what the other one is doing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom