• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Totally MIA? WMIA 93.9 goes back to AC, playing "90s to Now"

Does WRMF 97.9 show in the Miami - Ft. Lauderdale book?

Station appears to have a good signal in Broward County.
There was a time that WRMF actively targeted Broward and Dade Counties. I don't think it worked out well. WRMF's signal isn't bad on South Beach even.

They started in 1999. Also, do you seriously have those recordings? I wanna listen to them!
Wasn't it August 1998 that Wild signed on? Perhaps I am off.

I will have to convert the recording to mp3. I will look for them. It wasn't much; just an extended clip of Kevin railing against an intern for screwing up his Burger King order.

A lot of Audacy stations like to use “Nobody Plays More ‘80s” as a positioner. However, they generally “pad” the playlist with 3 sometimes 4 90s or 70s songs every hour to break up the monotony and give them some leeway. So they are mostly 80s, but they aren’t boxing themselves in to that decade completely.
I am thinking also of 103.7 WQOL out of Vero Beach. It is an iHeart station. They play nearly exclusively '80s. Ditto for WSRZ out of Sarasota, also an iHeart station.

We're not a Christmas market. It doesn't matter to us.
I ABSOLUTELY know we're not a Christmas market. Not my point. The point was, if you remember correctly, they advertised 93.1 all over TV. It was constantly on around Christmas of 2010, advertising their Christmas music format. I think I remember billboards, too. Since 93.9 pretty much never had ratings either, they went all Christmas, too.
For a town that is not a Christmas market (and I totally agree with you,) there were two Christmas stations in 2010. It was IHeart trying to get something, some notoriety, for free.

Wasn't it August 1998 that Wild signed on? Perhaps I am off.

I will have to convert the recording to mp3. I will look for them. It wasn't much; just an extended clip of Kevin railing against an intern for screwing up his Burger King order.

Yes. They started the show in 1999.

Hahahaha! Please share it! I would love to share it with the show.

Yes. They started the show in 1999.

Hahahaha! Please share it! I would love to share it with the show.
Wild 955 started in 1998 - The Frog flipped to Wild 955 and they played 9550 songs in a row in August 1998. They gave away $25k at Palm Beach Gardens Mall and it was Kevin dressed up in some sort of suit promoting the station and the money. K&V became a hit from that point on! That may have been after the new year so yes you are right on both parts lol -

Wild 955 started in 1998 - The Frog flipped to Wild 955 and they played 9550 songs in a row in August 1998. They gave away $25k at Palm Beach Gardens Mall and it was Kevin dressed up in some sort of suit promoting the station and the money. K&V became a hit from that point on! That may have been after the new year so yes you are right on both parts lol -
If I’m not mistaken, the first morning show on Wild was a 16 or 17 year old kid. He lasted a little while before being shifted to middays. Anyone remember him? I can’t think of his name.

Does WRMF 97.9 show in the Miami - Ft. Lauderdale book?
It is apparently not subscribed. I looked at the Holiday book and the 12 books prior, and they don't show. And the Nielsen site does not show them as a subscriber.

It is apparently not subscribed. I looked at the Holiday book and the 12 books prior, and they don't show. And the Nielsen site does not show them as a subscriber.

Figured since its not a Miami-focused station.

Figured since its not a Miami-focused station.
Obviously, if they get no revenue from the Miami market, no reason to buy the book.

Another good example is the Riverside-San Bernardino market in CA: nearly none of the LA stations buy it even though all the Mt. Wilson FMs cover it just as well as they cover the LA market. Because buyers don't pay more for Inland Empire coverage, the stations don't pay for the information.

Thanks for looking for us.

I thought that Nielsen changed its rules recently, though. I thought the new rule was that if a station subscribed in its home market, that it would automatically be "listed" in all markets where measurable AQH share exists. Perhaps that policy only applies to non-PPM markets?

If I’m not mistaken, the first morning show on Wild was a 16 or 17 year old kid. He lasted a little while before being shifted to middays. Anyone remember him? I can’t think of his name.
I remember when the station was Star 95.5, PK’s Playhouse was the kid in the morning! Then MJ Kelly, yes of the infamous 933 FLZ was the stations morning guy. He left for Tampa after that and well you know the rest.

I remember when the station was Star 95.5, PK’s Playhouse was the kid in the morning! Then MJ Kelly, yes of the infamous 933 FLZ was the stations morning guy. He left for Tampa after that and well you know the rest.
That was the guy - PK. I remember Channel 3 having a story about him. And the Sun Sentinel might have run something about him too. With that said, I think PK was Wild’s first morning show. When Star 95.5 went Country, I want to say that the last morning show was “Mama in the Morning.” The host of that show, “Joe Mama,” now goes by “Scott” and hosts a morning show at Gator Country in Fort Myers.

I’ve been checking this station out over the weekend off and on, and it may be one of my favorites to stream right now.

They approach currents very conservatively, almost like an AC. The currents and recurrents aren’t anything shocking. However, the station stands out in the gold library where they definitely take a more rhythmic tilt (“The Real Slim Shady” is playing now). They aren’t afraid of traditional 90s fare like “Two Princes”, “Iris”, “Ironic”, etc but there is a lot of 90s crossover hip hop/rhythmic titles, more Britney/boy band type stuff, as well as a lot of Rihanna, Justin Timberlake, Usher, etc gold from the 00s, all the while playing traditional AC ballads and mainstream hits that fit well. Some extra 2010s rhythmic hits that didn’t do that great on hot AC and a notable amount of EDM crossovers. It’s clearly programmed to the market, and I think this may be the most potential anything on this frequency has had in ages. If it’s Hot AC, it’s very conservative. Almost more like a rhythmic leaning/friendly AC.

I hope this works. I’m definitely going to be streaming it a lot.

Last edited:
I’ve been checking this station out over the weekend off and on, and it may be one of my favorites to stream right now.

They approach currents very conservatively, almost like an AC. The currents and recurrents aren’t anything shocking. However, the station stands out in the gold library where they definitely take a more rhythmic tilt (“The Real Slim Shady” is playing now). They aren’t afraid of traditional 90s fare like “Two Princes”, “Iris”, “Ironic”, etc but there is a lot of 90s crossover hip hop/rhythmic titles, more Britney/boy band type stuff, as well as a lot of Rihanna, Justin Timberlake, Usher, etc gold from the 00s, all the while playing traditional AC ballads and mainstream hits that fit well. Some extra 2010s rhythmic hits that didn’t do that great on hot AC and a notable amount of EDM crossovers. It’s clearly programmed to the market, and I think this may be the most potential anything on this frequency has had in ages. If it’s Hot AC, it’s very conservative. Almost more like a rhythmic leaning/friendly AC.

I hope this works. I’m definitely going to be streaming it a lot.
Unlike most of iHeart's "'90s to Today" Hot AC formats, WMIA has a wider playlist, seems to have more local autonomy in choosing its playlist, and has more local personalities. Earlier HOT AC versions of WMIA included playlists that could have been found in Omaha rather than Miami.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom