• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Too many ads on Youtube and it's annoying!

Couple of years ago, I could play any video on Youtube without any ads, but starting couple of years ago, they started adding ads before the video begins, and to make matters worse, they also inserted ads in the middle of the video! I regularly use Youtube for workout videos and some art/3D design lessons(since I am venturing into 3D Design), and it's increasingly annoying to have ads run in the middle of the video COUPLE OF TIMES! This is so irritating!

If you want to get rid of the ads, you have to subscribe to Youtube Premium for $11.95 a month. This is by far one of the dumbest moves by YouTube to annoy users by running too many ads, some unskippable in the MIDDLE OF A VIDEO!! Now there are ways to bypass ads by downloading extensions for Chrome but some do not work well according to some reviews. This is a trick to force users to subscribe to their premium service if you don't want to sit through ads while watching cat videos.

If they are smart, they should only play the ads before the video plays, not in the middle.

I guarantee You Tube lays out big bucks for the venue. It is only right that if users are not paying to use it, they have a model for making money to recover the costs of the venue from those enjoying YouTube for free. Pay the $12 and enjoy ad free...simple solution. When Weather Underground offered an ad free option, it was $5 a year and a couple of million folks quickly doled out the $5 and were grateful for the option. Naturally $11.95 a month is a far cry from $5 a year.

Couple of years ago, I could play any video on Youtube without any ads, but starting couple of years ago, they started adding ads before the video begins, and to make matters worse, they also inserted ads in the middle of the video! I regularly use Youtube for workout videos and some art/3D design lessons(since I am venturing into 3D Design), and it's increasingly annoying to have ads run in the middle of the video COUPLE OF TIMES! This is so irritating!

If you want to get rid of the ads, you have to subscribe to Youtube Premium for $11.95 a month. This is by far one of the dumbest moves by YouTube to annoy users by running too many ads, some unskippable in the MIDDLE OF A VIDEO!! Now there are ways to bypass ads by downloading extensions for Chrome but some do not work well according to some reviews. This is a trick to force users to subscribe to their premium service if you don't want to sit through ads while watching cat videos.

If they are smart, they should only play the ads before the video plays, not in the middle.

How is it a trick? YouTube is out front about the availability of YT Premium and even offers you a free sample. Otherwise, yeah, you're stuck watching ads, or at least five-second beginnings of ads, with your finger on the clicker. I'm not sure why YouTube would be "smart" to clump all the ads together in a pre-roll, either. I'm fine with YouTube the way it is. At least it always gives you a chance to click out of long-form ads .

Several companies operate this way, including Spotify and a few music services. If you want free music and/or videos, you need to put up with the minor annoyance of some ads to cover their costs of providing them. Don't want ads at all? Pay a reasonable monthly fee and the ads gone from your life. Neflix is supposedly moving in a similar direction where they'll have a lower cost tier that comes with ads, and a higher cost tier that's ad-free.

One of our favorite series is on Dailymotion. I have AdBlocker Plus on my browser. As of last week, Dailymotion will not even play the video for you unless your adblocker is disabled...They're getting smarter! My issue with Dailymotion is that they run the pop up banner ads that completely cover the top inch of the screen while the video is still running. The only way to get rid of the banner ads is to hit the X in the corner when they appear every few minutes. Also, when you run a video full screen, Dailymotion seems to constantly take you out of full screen mode to run ads. Regular ads at the beginning or even during the video I wouldn't mind so much (especially since it's a free to me service) but the intrusive banner ads that cover the content you're watching and the constant escaping from full-screen mode is really annoying IMO.

I pay for it because I want no ads... PERIOD. I haven't complained since. Yes, I have to shelve out money for it but at the same time, IMO, its really really worth it.

I pay for it because I want no ads... PERIOD. I haven't complained since. Yes, I have to shelve out money for it but at the same time, IMO, its really really worth it.
There's also the music licensing issue. Before I started paying for it, many of the music videos couldn't be downloaded. Now, it's not a problem.

@CurtisNEPA When regular users was uploading home videos to the site, it was free, and most of the content wasn't worth monetizing. However, people started clamoring for content that could turn a profit, such as gaming, Live TV, and music. Video creators began to realize that they could turn YouTube into their job (nothing wrong with that), but to support professional content, you have to have profit. I've been on YouTube for a long time, and on the YouTube of 2011, you maybe saw an ad once every few hours of watching. The YouTube of 2022, however, is one with dozens of long ads in one video.

It's a classic example of how quickly things can turn when the "public" gets their hands on it. Not to be cynical about the public, because crowdfunded gamers and educators are awesome, but, like a car, the more use it gets, the more it gets worn down and needs new parts. Eventually, you just buy a new car (like how young people moved from YouTube to Twitch, or Myspace to Facebook to Twitter to Instagram to TikTok). , and the cycle begins again.

You love to watch cat videos, and they have become immensely popular. Is that YouTube's fault, or more that's what the public is interested in, and so someone has to finance the constant production of cat videos? I think it's the latter.

Aside: I choose not to monetize my channel, because it's my hobby, but nonetheless I give the utmost respect to those who see YouTube as their career. Smaller channels like mine probably represent the YouTube of the past: No ads, but even I have to admit my videos are "cringeworthy", because I lack the production to make it better. And that's fine by me, for now. You'll find that a lot of channels under 250 subscriptions that are like this, and it truly is a treasure, or like a time capsule to me.

Last edited:
I don't mind an ad or two at the beginning of a video, but ads during the video can get irritating. Some ads come up during a natural break in the video, but other times they just pop up in the middle of something at random times. Also if you pause a video for a few minutes ads will pop up when you start back. So I think they could at least be timed better.

so what do y'all expect for free? geez..... .. if you had to start paying for radio, youd start world war 3 over it

so what do y'all expect for free? geez..... .. if you had to start paying for radio, youd start world war 3 over it

I don't want to pay to listen to my own radio station. I sure don't want to pay to listen to anyone else's. As my father once taught me, son there's no such thing as a free ride. Someone has to pay for it.

Dan <><​

If you use Firefox as a browser, just download and install their ad blocker (sorry Frank). No more pre-rolls!

The United States has already been presented this option: SiriusXM. I personally don't pay for SXM, and so it would suck to pay for terrestrial radio too, but apparently 37 million Americans are just fine with the price gouging going on over there. If it ever did come to AM/FM, I would bet that some folks would rather go without than pay a subscription for radio.
I don't want to pay to listen to my own radio station. I sure don't want to pay to listen to anyone else's. As my father once taught me, son there's no such thing as a free ride. Someone has to pay for it.

Dan <><​
In your case, you use a lot of underwriting, right? LPFM's (and NCEFM's) are allowed to have sponsors, but not commercials, which makes financing pretty weird for sure!
I use a Firefox ad blocker ... just not on this website. The ads are my only way of covering the operating costs (hint, hint).
You should do what you can to support the website! At least the ads on here are usually about radio, and they are usually at the beginning of my experience.

Guys, all you need is an ad blocker for your browser of choice. I have one for Chrome and one for FIrefox and all YT ads are blocked on both browsers.

R

Blame the Content Creators on YT

If they have alot of Subbs CC pick what Ad's go in there Video, CC Control how many Ad's go there Video

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom