• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TO "KIRKIEFAN"...

blvd_pbj

Inactive
Inactive User
Hello:

It's been quite a while since I've posted on boards like these. I normally don't anymore, nor do I read them much. I'm so busy anymore that I just don't have time...nor the patience (LOL!).

But, when I heard from my buddy Fred Vobbe that someone had brought up my name in a message board for radio, I couldn't help but check it out.

So, after reading what was posted, I would now like to take this time to say thank you to "KIRKIEFAN" for the positive comments regarding my time at WLJM/940 JAMZ.
A lot of people will say a lot of different things about the way things were done and how we did it, but we had a razor thin budget during my tenor as the Imaging Director, Music Director, and Assistant Program Director (yes, all three!), and we did the absolute best with what he had...and five years after my departure (August 4th, 2002 was my last day), it's good to see that people actually remember and appreciate the work that we did there.

It was a lot of fun working for that station. We had a great crew of jocks, and we did what we felt was right for the audience, not what the management wanted us to do (if that was the case, we would have been playing Aaron Neville for Mr. Mackey 24/7...not that there's anything wrong with Aaron Neville, LOL!). We were the only station within the cluster in that building that didn't have a consultant, and didn't have anyone in higher management to report to. The owner didn't want us there, so she just sort of left to us to our own devices and let us do what we wanted. So, we programmed, produced, and arranged things in a manner in which (at the time) you wouldn't normally find on an Urban station. We programmed the music with the audience in mind, and produced a rhythmic sounding imaging with active rock writing. We (Desarai, Doc Locke, and I) did a lot of things on the air that management didn't appreciate too much, but we did it anyway.

The two bits of satisfaction that I received regarding my time at JAMZ was (number one) my first full book as Imaging/Music Director, we went from being the lowest rated station in the four station cluster to being 3rd, and we had the highest TSL along with taking a chunk out of the afternoon jock on ZOO down the hall (when that happened, it wasn't too long after that that Carol Logan came in and cut us all down...)
...and the second piece of satisfaction I get (although it may seem petty) is that when I sometimes will walk around town in the southern part of Lima, or come across people that I used to associate with when I was at WLJM during that time period, and they talk about how they miss the things we used to do. When I hear things like that, it makes every single negative thing that went down while we were building that station back up as management was trying to take it down...worthwhile!

So, "KIRKIEFAN", thank you for the compliments.

...and for the record, 9/11 & the emergence of WILD had nothing to do with our demise...absolutely nothing!

Thank you once again my man, and feel free to email me if you like! :)

-"J"-
Owner/Co-Founder
Boulavard Entertainment
www.boulavardentertainment.net

www.myspace.com/playboyj2005
www.youtube.com/playboyj2005

Thanks Playboy J

...I think I may have talked to you on the phone several years ago when I was hoping to air a Sunday afternoon blues program. Now I know why it never got on the air and why Duchess never returned my calls asking why. Seems to me that management was obviously at fault here and not the Duchess..so my apologies to her. I wish the Duchess well and the rest of the former crew.

I miss JAMZ the way it was (and was meant to be) before the satellite downgrade and what it is now.

Kirkiefan

Yeah, it was a lot of fun. I miss it too. It took me a long time after it was over to realize that it was over, just because of everything that we did in such a short amount of time. Every now and then, I dig up some old airchecks, or I crank up some of the production I used to do there, and just remember how great it was. I was very lucky to have more than just a professional relationship with The Dutchess because she practically treated me like I was her son. Not a whole lot of people in this business are lucky enough to have one of their mentors as their boss treat them like family. But then again, the whole staff there at WLJM during that time was family. There was never any jealousy within our staff, and everyone checked their egos at the door when it came time to hit the air. Our boss-lady made sure of that (haha).

Thank you for bringing back a lot of great memories for me. I appreciate it!

-"J"-
Owner/Co-Founder
Boulavard Entertainment
www.boulavardentertainment.net

www.myspace.com/playboyj2005
www.youtube.com/playboyj2005

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom