• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Timbaland the new dance music artist?

Who remembers "Pass At Me" featuring Pitbull? Yeah, that's how it starts. I found this track featuring Ian Carey and voalist "Rosette" creating a track titled "Amnesia" which you can sample here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOm2YOIzixI

About a couple weeks later, I discovered another track Timbaland he collaborated with Carishma, titled "Keep Hanging On"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYDW-CaevCI

Is it just me, or are we looking at a new direction for Timbaland and expect to see new dance material in which he will get involved with?

I loved Timbaland's productions on Utada's "Exodus '04" album, although they were downtempo. This was back when he was still transitioning from his old futuristic sounding style to the electronic style. Too bad Aaliyah passed because that surely changed him and I wonder how Aaliyah would sound today over modern uptempo beats. I also wonder if Aaliyah never passed and Timbaland never took his break, would he still have changed his style as much as he did. In addition to all that, I also wonder why the "say it right" Nelly Furtado style sound never took off, as popular as that song was. Imagine if a bunch of people jumped on and tried to imitate that style of sound what things could be sounded like today!

I wonder what was going through Timbaland's mind as he was creating downtempo productions like "my love" for Justin Timberlake and "Apologize" for One Republic. It seemed like he was a little lost in which direction he really wanted to go for a while before he fully got into the electronic sound!

KDM 7000 said:
I loved Timbaland's productions on Utada's "Exodus '04" album, although they were downtempo. This was back when he was still transitioning from his old futuristic sounding style to the electronic style. Too bad Aaliyah passed because that surely changed him and I wonder how Aaliyah would sound today over modern uptempo beats. I also wonder if Aaliyah never passed and Timbaland never took his break, would he still have changed his style as much as he did. In addition to all that, I also wonder why the "say it right" Nelly Furtado style sound never took off, as popular as that song was. Imagine if a bunch of people jumped on and tried to imitate that style of sound what things could be sounded like today!

I wonder what was going through Timbaland's mind as he was creating downtempo productions like "my love" for Justin Timberlake and "Apologize" for One Republic. It seemed like he was a little lost in which direction he really wanted to go for a while before he fully got into the electronic sound!

...sure is a lot of wondering...

KDM 7000 said:

The song was was a big pop hit and in Miami it's a classic. The sound (beat sequence) of the song is just like any other thousand planet rock based freestyle songs.

Morpheux said:
KDM 7000 said:

The song was was a big pop hit and in Miami it's a classic. The sound (beat sequence) of the song is just like any other thousand planet rock based freestyle songs.

But you could still imitate or use that Nelly Furtado "say it right" style without sounding "freestyle" and still do so even if you went up to 129 bpm.

Example:
http://www.myspace.com/markgainesmusic/music/songs/the-world-67080688

Also imagine if different variations of the Lady Gaga "paparazzi" were tried by different producers.

Just for fun, I want to ask people;

See and hear this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ6tNxBAdUo&feature=related

1. What kind of music is that (why or why not)?

2. What kind of music would it be if Timbaland produced it?

3. What kind of music would it be if David Guetta produced it?

4. What kind of music would it be if ADELE, FLO RIDA, COLDPLAY, or GYM CLASS HEROES sang over the beats?

5. Would this make them become dance artists, or would they make the beat become a pop/rock, pop, or hip hop beat?

KDM 7000 said:

4. What kind of music would it be if ADELE, FLO RIDA, COLDPLAY, or GYM CLASS HEROES sang over the beats?

5. Would this make them become dance artists, or would they make the beat become a pop/rock, pop, or hip hop beat?

I wish I had more time in my day to help out, but I'm working... :p

2Son said:
KDM 7000 said:

I wish I had more time in my day to help out, but I'm working... :p

It's ok. I believe this Radio Board will remain open for an extended period of time (including upcoming holidays and weekends, etc.) along with the majority of the posts in it. No rush.

Morpheux said:
Should I add 10 exclamation points to make my statement more true?

That was not addressed to you. If you knew the tiring debates i have had with KDM, it would make sense

Morpheux said:
Put a planet rock beat behind say it right and it sounds like any other freestyle song that's planet rock based.

It takes more than that beat to make it freestyle. By your definition, any cheesy Funkymix of the numerous Pop / R&B tracks they released would be freestyle. Its just an uptempo remix with a breakbeat to me.

DJ_Perry said:
Morpheux said:
It takes more than that beat to make it freestyle. By your definition, any cheesy Funkymix of the numerous Pop / R&B tracks they released would be freestyle. Its just an uptempo remix with a breakbeat to me.

I can understand your logic. I have a broader definition of what is Freestyle due to the fact that freestyle came eons before any of the uptempo pop /r&b breakbeat tracks. It's just watered down freestyle....

Just like Justin Bieber sing "live my life" is watered down house or like Gregg75 would say-quasi dance.

Morpheux said:
I can understand your logic. I have a broader definition of what is Freestyle due to the fact that freestyle came eons before any of the uptempo pop /r&b breakbeat tracks. It's just watered down freestyle....

Sounds like you suffer from what KDM has. Freestyle is nothing but poorly produced music that was influenced by the "Breakdance ElectroFunk Movement" like Cybotron, Hashim, Egyptian Lover, Midnight Star and so on. That beat can be dated back to Kraftwerk (late 70's), but I bet you wouldn't call that freestyle. Those are the roots, and that is the sound these new producers may be going after. It's very far fetched that anybody today is influenced by Stevie B or Lil Suzy...LOL. Breaks have been around LONG before Trinere or those cheesy keyboard tracks. Associating any breakbeat with freestyle is like saying anything 4 on the Floor is Disco.

DJ_Perry said:
Morpheux said:

Sounds like you suffer from what KDM has. Freestyle is nothing but poorly produced music that was influenced by the "Breakdance ElectroFunk Movement" like Cybotron, Hashim, Egyptian Lover, Midnight Star and so on. That beat can be dated back to Kraftwerk (late 70's), but I bet you wouldn't call that freestyle. Those are the roots, and that is the sound these new producers may be going after. It's very far fetched that anybody today is influenced by Stevie B or Lil Suzy...LOL. Breaks have been around LONG before Trinere or those cheesy keyboard tracks. Associating any breakbeat with freestyle is like saying anything 4 on the Floor is Disco.

Who knew Arizona was the capital of the dance music elite? Here I thought you guys were just known for The Phoenix Lights.
I know what the roots are of the music but when it evolved it was define by top notch producers like Chris Barbosa,Jellybean Benitez (early stuff),Louie Vega,Toddy Terry(a few of his tracks),Carlos Berrios,Aldo Marin,Tony Moran, just to name a few.Most of the pop dance songs had freestyle remixes but they were called club,extended or hot or power mixes(after Hot 97 in NY and Power 96 in Miami). I like some of the Miami freestyle tracks but it was the NY sound that defined it.

Phx Radio was pretty Dance friendly in the 80s. Nothing llike New York or anything, but we had stations that would mirror LA ones, and the CHRs always leaned Rhythmic with the Latin demographics who were a good chunk of listeners. Phx is where "Hot Mix" was born. Dave Rajput started the syndication here on valley radio back in 1985 and it then exploded into dozens of markets picking up the show. Dave was highly influenced by the Hot Mix 5 from Chicago, so he educated AZ with many of those records (including freestyle.....even though it was never called that back then). We always thought of this music as Dance or Club mixes back then. To me "Freestyle" is something that was labeled after it fizzled, and is always is changing what artists are worthy of being included. I wouldn't say all those artists you mentioned never sought out to be known for "freestyle" but rather were just being relavant with the sound out at the time.

I really do not want to drag this on but there are some things that need to be clarified.The real freestyle was and will always be Lisa Lisa, Judy Torres,TKA,George Lamond,Cover Girls,Johnny O,Noel,Sweet Sensation,Coro,Expose,Lisette Melendez,Cynthia,Trilogy(bet you never heard of them before).All that crap that came in the mid 90's was a bastardization of the NY freestyle sound.There's a reason why there are 25 year celebrations of freestyle in the East Coast, we were dance before it was called Dance.

Morpheux said:
The real freestyle was and will always be Lisa Lisa, Judy Torres,TKA,George Lamond,Cover Girls,Johnny O,Noel,Sweet Sensation,Coro,Expose,Lisette Melendez,Cynthia,Trilogy(bet you never heard of them before).

Are you serious? Did you not read my post saying Phx Radio was pretty Dance friendly in the 80s?

Right, I've never heard of those mainstream examples.....even though they were all over KZZP, Y95, and KKFR....whatever ::)

I love how folks from New York imagine they are more educated

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom