• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

This makes me angry

Last night at work I ran into an elderly woman whom I have known for 11 years. She told me her husband is in now in a nursing home and that it costs $3500 every two weeks. - I told her jokingly that it would've been cheaper to put him up at the Motel 6. But all kidding aside it makes me angry that it costs $7000/month for this gentleman to get the care he needs. And to quote one of my coworkers Who the <bleep> has $7000/month?

Last night at work I ran into an elderly woman whom I have known for 11 years. She told me her husband is in now in a nursing home and that it costs $3500 every two weeks. - I told her jokingly that it would've been cheaper to put him up at the Motel 6. But all kidding aside it makes me angry that it costs $7000/month for this gentleman to get the care he needs. And to quote one of my coworkers Who the <bleep> has $7000/month?

You think the old man would have gotten "the care he needs" at Motel 6? Their rate is about the same as the Hartford Marriott Farmington and he wouldn't get the care he needs there either. Does that make you angry, too.
Do you even know what kind of care he needs (do you care)? Do you know what insurance they have and how much this woman pays out of pocket? Apparently, whatever she has to pay out of pocket, she has or her husband wouldn't be there.
It makes me angry when people sound off without bothering to find out what they are talking about.
If this concerns you, get long term care insurance now. The earlier in life you get it, the lower the premiums.

The cost per month is largely determined by what level of care the patient requires. It ranges all the way from 'assisted living' (institution provides meals, transportation and social activities etc.) to hospital-type medical care. Before enraging yourself find out what level of support the husband is getting. Then, it also depends on the geographic location. Northeastern facilities tend to be more expensive than those in the South and West but that is a generalization.

My father-in-law is 89 years old and handicapped with a ton of medical issues. He lives in an assisted living facility here in the Phoenix area and pays in the neighborhood of $4,200 per month. He took out an insurance policy years ago which is currently covering those expenses. He could have opted for a smaller facility (less than 10 patients) and the cost would be about 2/3's of what he is paying today but with a bit less care. It pays to carefully evaluate the patients needs then shop around for the best match in both care and cost.

Which brings to mind a joke made by a little old lady who discovered she could live much nicer on a cruise ship year-round than in a care facility. She noted that it was cheaper, the food was much better, she had more social activities and an always-changing scenery.

All this ignores how assistance and nursing care people need in these facilities. These are jobs most of us could not do and would not want to do. And many of these jobs require are good deal of professional level education and training. The people who work in these facilities need to make a living, too. Radio people may be willing to work cheap but most other people can't afford to.

All this ignores how assistance and nursing care people need in these facilities. These are jobs most of us could not do and would not want to do. And many of these jobs require are good deal of professional level education and training. The people who work in these facilities need to make a living, too. Radio people may be willing to work cheap but most other people can't afford to.

Depending upon the type of license the facility has their staff can range from bedpan emptiers to full-fleged MD's. The most common assisted living facilities in my neck of the woods have "first aid" type caretakers who will escalate any medical issues to 911. It is much more effective to depend upon the local medical facility than try to provide it at the many assisted living and nursing homes.

It is also interesting that most of these facilities in the Phoenix area are staffed (and possibly owned) by either Filipino or Romanian immigrants.

True, but these places also have high turnover because the pay is lousy.
There is some disconnect there.

True, but these places also have high turnover because the pay is lousy.
There is some disconnect there.

Part of the workforce is unskilled labor, sure. Mainly, the work is very demanding and stressful. People without a true calling are not likely to last, regardless of pay.

Point is, nursing home care is not cheap. Don't expect it to be and don't get angry about it.

That somebody was prescribed and/or put into one in the first place....

Sorry to hear that Marc.Last year my neighbor at 86 lost his house when he was put into a home.All this time I thought he had good insurance coverage since he worked for the state of CT for some time.Sad to say that he passed away on Christmas eve last year and he was only in the nursing home for about 8 months..Also depends on the insurance package the person has.Luckily my late parents had good insurance plans .

In many facilities in my part of Arizona, the going rate for those professionals is about $12-15 an hour. That's why they hire immigrants, many from Kenyan nursing schools.

My girlfriend lived in two of those, one in Gilbert and one in Mesa until she was able to move back in with me last year, and both did exactly that. Both facilities charged her 90% of her SSI check, and billed Medicare and AHCCCS (Medicaid) for the rest of the $3000-4000 a month. The care was not good (although most employees did their best with what they were given), theft was common, and health code violations were rampant.

When I turn 65, I'm taking up cigars and whiskey. When I was a kid working in my dad's store, the town veterinarian came in a couple times a week to buy a pack of Phillie Cheroot cigars. One sunny Saturday morning, he was walking along Main Street, presumably smoking a Phillie Cheroot, when he fell over and could not be revived. Now that is a good death.

Phillie Cheroot was a product of the Congress Cigar Company. Revenue generated by that veterinarian and millions of other smokers gave scion Bill Paley enough money to buy his own radio network.
Now you know .... the rest of the story.

Now that is a good death.

I can think of only one better (and it does not involve smoking tobacco of any kind). :)

And actually, both Bing Crosby and the father of my old Navy buddy died on the golf course. Bing had reportedly just completed his game and was saying how it was one of his best. My buddy's dad was putting and just tipped over. Don't know if he made the putt or not.

Revenue generated by that veterinarian and millions of other smokers gave scion Bill Paley enough money to buy his own radio network.

On the other hand, it was Paley's dislike of the family business that drove him into another industry. Similar to the heir of the Seagram's fortune.

On the other hand, it was Paley's dislike of the family business that drove him into another industry. Similar to the heir of the Seagram's fortune.

Paley never said he disliked the family business. His uncle and dad were out of town and bought some radio time on WCAU, Philadelphia. The show boosted cigar sales and Paley saw an opportunity. He may have wanted the chance to do his own thing but he never said he disliked the cigar business. The tobacco industry was CBS' biggest source of revenue for more than 40 years.

Paley never said he disliked the family business. His uncle and dad were out of town and bought some radio time on WCAU, Philadelphia. The show boosted cigar sales and Paley saw an opportunity. He may have wanted the chance to do his own thing but he never said he disliked the cigar business. The tobacco industry was CBS' biggest source of revenue for more than 40 years.

It's not as simple as that. The Paley family cigar business was buying increasing amounts of advertising on WCAU. WCAU was in financial difficulties, and Paley saw that for little more than what they were spending on advertising they could own the station.

The key was the financial situation of the previous owner.

It's not as simple as that. The Paley family cigar business was buying increasing amounts of advertising on WCAU. WCAU was in financial difficulties, and Paley saw that for little more than what they were spending on advertising they could own the station.

The key was the financial situation of the previous owner.

Paley did not own WCAU until 1957. CBS bought it from the Evening Bulletin and sold WTOP to the Washington Post to stay under the ownership cap in effect at the time (5 AM, 5 FM, 7 TV with no more than 5 of them VHF).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom