• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

this crap sucks! Arm Chair Programmer time for us wannabes!

B

bnrb

Well I am glad that I gave up listening (trying to listen) to this crap that KIOL is cramming down our throat. So as an arm chair "wanna be" radio programmer post what songs you like or dislike from this little sample of KIOL programming. Of the ten songs listed here these are the ones I can live without in my opinion.

Lighting Crashes?? UH? WHat? WHo ? PPPPPPPPPUKE!

I thank you? Yeah yeah yeah ZZ Topp is from Texas, whateva!

Rock you like a Hurricane? Makes me remember the 9th grade freshman dance, and I really do not want to remember that dance.

I can't quit you baby? Yeah I did quit, many many many years ago so stop it already

Detroit Rock city? Was that Alive 1 or 2? I was freaking 10 years old!!

So what are your thoughts? Yes I realize some these songs may be requests, but we all know they play ALL REQUESTS don't they?

1:24 PM Lightning Crashes [Edit] Live
1:13 PM Broken Hearted Savior Big Head Todd and the Monste
1:10 PM I Thank You ZZ Top
1:05 PM Be Yourself Audioslave
1:00 PM Rebel Yell Idol, Billy
12:55 PM SO FAR AWAY STAIND
12:51 PM Rock You Like A Hurricane Scorpions
12:47 PM No Excuses Alice In Chains
12:42 PM I Cant Quit You Baby Led Zeppelin
12:38 PM Detroit Rock City Kiss

This pains me also.
Even though I like some of those songs, I just can not warm to the station for now. I tried. I will come back to it in a few months and see if it has gotten any better.
I do hope it does. I had... and Do, have high hopes for channel.

Clear Channel SUX!!!!

Why don't you....?

> This pains me also.
> Even though I like some of those songs, I just can not warm
> to the station for now. I tried. I will come back to it in a
> few months and see if it has gotten any better.
> I do hope it does. I had... and Do, have high hopes for
> channel.
>
>
> Clear Channel SUX!!!!

Number One KIOL is owned by Cumulus and not CC and yes CC does in fact suck.

Number Two Although I think the playlist can use a major overhaul too, I think you guys need to just buy Slipknot and Mudvayne's entire catalog and put it in your CD changer.

No more caffeine or "illicit powder" for you, bucko, till you calm down. :)

> Well I am glad that I gave up listening (trying to listen)
> to this crap that KIOL is cramming down our throat. So as an
> arm chair "wanna be" radio programmer post what songs you
> like or dislike from this little sample of KIOL programming.
> Of the ten songs listed here these are the ones I can live
> without in my opinion.
>
> Lighting Crashes?? UH? WHat? WHo ? PPPPPPPPPUKE!
>
> I thank you? Yeah yeah yeah ZZ Topp is from Texas, whateva!
>
> Rock you like a Hurricane? Makes me remember the 9th grade
> freshman dance, and I really do not want to remember that
> dance.
>
> I can't quit you baby? Yeah I did quit, many many many years
> ago so stop it already
>
> Detroit Rock city? Was that Alive 1 or 2? I was freaking 10
> years old!!
>
> So what are your thoughts? Yes I realize some these songs
> may be requests, but we all know they play ALL REQUESTS
> don't they?
>
>
>
> 1:24 PM Lightning Crashes [Edit] Live
> 1:13 PM Broken Hearted Savior Big Head Todd and the
> Monste
> 1:10 PM I Thank You ZZ Top
> 1:05 PM Be Yourself Audioslave
> 1:00 PM Rebel Yell Idol, Billy
> 12:55 PM SO FAR AWAY STAIND
> 12:51 PM Rock You Like A Hurricane Scorpions
> 12:47 PM No Excuses Alice In Chains
> 12:42 PM I Cant Quit You Baby Led Zeppelin
> 12:38 PM Detroit Rock City Kiss
>

Re: Why don't you....?

>
> Number Two Although I think the playlist can use a major
> overhaul too, I think you guys need to just buy Slipknot and
> Mudvayne's entire catalog and put it in your CD changer.
>

I don't think it's only about playing some active rock, it's also in large part of playing the same tired songs. I am pretty sure that ZZ Top, Led Zepplin, The Who, SRV, and all the other bands put out more than 3 songs apiece.

On KACC 89.7 they played an Ozzy song of him doing a remake of Mountain's "Mississippi Queen." Never heard it before! KACC plays a lot of WHO songs from "Live at Leeds." On KPFT 90.1 they played a Jimi Hendrix song from 1969 recored outdoors in Hawaii - awesome! Never heard it before.

All good stuff, and they are the same artists that KIOL plays but KIOL is stuck pretending that these awesome bands only made 3 good songs apiece.

As it stands.... KIOL is a piss poor station....

Gotta go, I think I hear "Free Bird" playing in the background for the 1 trillonth time!

Psssstttttt.... KIOL! Play the "B" side once in a while....

JMHO

> > This pains me also.
> > Even though I like some of those songs, I just can not
> warm
> > to the station for now. I tried. I will come back to it in
> a
> > few months and see if it has gotten any better.
> > I do hope it does. I had... and Do, have high hopes for
> > channel.
> >
> >
> > Clear Channel SUX!!!!
>
>
> Number One KIOL is owned by Cumulus and not CC and yes CC
> does in fact suck.
>

I think (and I may be wrong about this) "clueless" knows that KIOL is non-CC, but he/she just wants to see a station that challenges CC. I think the word "channel" in the original post possibly was a typo...

I'm just writing because I feel the same way about KIOL. I'd really, really like to see this station succeed...but I don't know if it can as-is. It sounds too much like the Arrow in many ways. I feel like I need to grow a mullet to listen to the station sometimes....and I am normally a big fan of classic rock.

I love having Walton & Johnson (as well as the others that are now on the station) back on the air, and I was extremely ticked off when CC pulled them in November. So, I'd love to see KIOL give CC a real run for their money. In my mind CC truly DOES suck for pulling them off! :)

I used to listen to the Arrow and the Buzz pretty faithfully but don't anymore (at least I try and avoid doing so) because of the bad taste CC left in my mouth after pulling W&J. I understand the business decision for Mega 101...I just think the whole transfer was done without any regard whatsoever to listeners like me.

While I'm on the subject of CC morning shows getting pulled, I also liked "Steve & Jeff" on the Buzz. I listened to them until they were pulled also, and then someone told me I'd like W&J.

Ever since the KLOL flip, I've really tried to avoid getting too "attached" to local shows and personalities. I'd hate to say that, but it's true.

As a listener, you just never know when something you enjoy is going to completely disappear! I've learned that thanks in part to Clear Channel!

Sorry for yet another long post!

JB

I don't know if KIOL has just grown on me or I have become so jaded with Houston radio that I really don't care anymore? When I don't listen to Internet Radio I have on KIOL or when I'm driving it's KIOL.

They do play the same groups same three songs waaaaay too much. I have jumped over to KRBE for a while more than once in an hour or less. In fact there are a lot of songs that are played way too much. On the bright side KIOL does come up with some excellent songs I haven't heard in a long time a couple of times an hour during the day. Wendy Millers' show seems to be the best for a good variety of music. Quite honesty I listen more for the Personality Radio starting with W&J until Outlaw Daves' show ends. Then it is ususally back to Internet Radio if I am home.

I think 103.7 has gotten better, but has a long way to go yet. I have been hearing promo's for the best of W&J on KIOL. I can't believe that the station is going to run W&J again, likely at night after 7PM. I like W&J, but I don't find the show the least bit relative after the day the show played. Is KIOL trying to commit suicide, unless it is run from 3am to 5am? Damnedest dumb thing that KIOL has come up with yet. The week W&J were on vacation I switched to KHMX the second day, the show made little sense with month old news being discussed.

If KIOL wants to get into the game, besides the obvious tweaking of the playlist is to add Personality Radio from 7pm to 5:30am. If you want a jukebox after 7pm you can program your own station on Live 365, Yahoo, etc. and hear the songs you want without commercials. With the 1000's of stations on the Internet, I have always found a great station to fit the music I am in the mood for, without programming my personal station.

I would like to see both KIOL and KFNC make it, but there is work to be done and the amount of time spent listening to radio is down. I imagine that it may be down even more in Houston than other cities that have a better variety of stations to choose from than Houston and about 40% Spanish-language stations, which really limits English-language formats.

Outlaw Dave mentioned that there is still an Engineer at KIOL working on the signal. I'm not sure what they are going to do, the antenna is 60 miles from downtown, although I do get a lot of fading from 103.7 as I drive, worse than many of the other rim shot stations. Home is not a problem most of the time, but driving is less than desirable. I would think that the fading is a big tune out for those that are driving and listening to the KIOL. Curious what Cumulus is doing on the signal at this point in the game?

I just wonder if there is any real hope for Houston radio any longer?

Mike O<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Mike_O on 07/22/05 02:30 AM.</FONT></P>

>
> I think 103.7 has gotten better, but has a long way to go
> yet. I have been hearing promo's for the best of W&J on
> KIOL. I can't believe that the station is going to run W&J
> again, likely at night after 7PM. I like W&J, but I don't
> find the show the least bit relative after the day the show
> played. Is KIOL trying to commit suicide, unless it is run
> from 3am to 5am? Damnedest dumb thing that KIOL has come up
> with yet. The week W&J were on vacation I switched to KHMX
> the second day, the show made little sense with month old
> news being discussed.
>

Hey Mike,
Did you hear the promos last week, or this week? I know they did the "best of W&J" last week when W&J were on vacation. Do you think the promos were just for that? I haven't heard anything this week.

I know they've always run the "best of" when the guys are on vacation. I'd be surprised if they did run a "best of" otherwise. I could see them repeating a broadcast (like 1 am to 5 am) from the previous day, but that's it.

I agree...I love W&J but I think that a permanent "best of" show would be definite overkill! And yes, it does get confusing when they play the show a month later and they are discussing month-old news. I get bored pretty quickly when they do that.

>
> I just wonder if there is any real hope for Houston radio
> any longer?
>

Yeah, I've noticed you haven't been posting as much lately. I figured you were either busy or were giving up!

JB

> I don't know if KIOL has just grown on me or I have become
> so jaded with Houston radio that I really don't care
> anymore? When I don't listen to Internet Radio I have on
> KIOL or when I'm driving it's KIOL.
>
I listen to it also, but the sound quality drives me nuts. Its like listening to an AM station on FM.

>
> Outlaw Dave mentioned that there is still an Engineer at
> KIOL working on the signal. I'm not sure what they are
> going to do, the antenna is 60 miles from downtown, although
> I do get a lot of fading from 103.7 as I drive, worse than
> many of the other rim shot stations. Home is not a problem
> most of the time, but driving is less than desirable. I
> would think that the fading is a big tune out for those that
> are driving and listening to the KIOL. Curious what Cumulus
> is doing on the signal at this point in the game?
>

At first, I was receiving the 103.7 signal strongly in Beaumont. Took a trip one weekend and was able to pick it up almost to Lufkin. However, in recent weeks the signal was flaky, drifting in and out. When the signal IS strong enough, the poor audio quality discourages me a lot more than the music selection which isn't bad.

> Hey Mike,
> Did you hear the promos last week, or this week? I know
> they did the "best of W&J" last week when W&J were on
> vacation. Do you think the promos were just for that? I
> haven't heard anything this week.
>
> I know they've always run the "best of" when the guys are on
> vacation. I'd be surprised if they did run a "best of"
> otherwise. I could see them repeating a broadcast (like 1
> am to 5 am) from the previous day, but that's it.
>
> I agree...I love W&J but I think that a permanent "best of"
> show would be definite overkill! And yes, it does get
> confusing when they play the show a month later and they are
> discussing month-old news. I get bored pretty quickly when
> they do that.
>
> >
> > I just wonder if there is any real hope for Houston radio
> > any longer?
> >
>
> Yeah, I've noticed you haven't been posting as much lately.
> I figured you were either busy or were giving up!
>
> JB
>
Hi JB, long time no talk to, hope all is well. The promo's for W&J were about five times during the OD Show and I just heard one about five minutes ago (10:30pm). If I had only heard it once or twice during OD's show I would not have thought too much of it, as you know how W&J feel about the new system they have in that you use the mouse to start a break, etc. Guess it is very easy to start a song or spot, etc and not mean to with the system KIOL is using. I notice that they all still screw up with the thing.

I have no idea what Cumulus has in mind, but it will start the first week of October (I think). This gives them plenty of time to get a good amount ahead. Just think that if KIOL goes through with the idea, someone has shitt for brains. I enjoy the show in the morning, but the repeats just don't cut it.

I have been very busy and out of town a lot. I also have hit a real burn out on Houston radio. It is the same old crap that has happened time and time. You think a really good station is finally going to be on the air and it is no better than what we already have, which is not saying much. Especially after listening to radio in other cities, Houston falls far short in many ways. In the '80's (I know ancient history) Houston had the best radio in the country. There was nothing New York or Los Angeles had that was any better. Now I wind up in East Podunk on business and the radio is great. Very discouraging.

Take care.

Mike

The solution is this...

KIOL is doomed at its current frequency. The engineers are trying to balance optimism with the inevitability of sheer failure.

Personally, I don't understand why KTBZ hasn't started playing GNR.
They're playing a crapload of Metallica and playing a lot of stuff that KLOL never touched (i.e. Leper Messiah, Deyer's Eve)
Metallica and GNR toured together and GNR is actually a younger band with a younger lifespan.
If The Buzz would up the anty on the Tool, Rage, some GNR (even if it's just "Sweet Child of Mine" and "Welcome to the Jungle"), play more Zombie and throw in one of Pantera's "radio-friendly" songs (i.e. Cemetery Gates, Planet Caravan or This Love) every once in a while, then the audience wouldn't be so confused.
People who like The Killers-type indie bands aren't generally fans of Metallica and The Buzz is playing them in heavy doses.
To make things worse, people who like Metallica generally like GNR, Pantera and most of the other bands of the era.
Sure, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, STP, Nirvana--to most people these bands rock, but I fail to see the logic here.
What is missing in Houston radio is a station that plays the popular hard rock bands at a decent frequency.
We're not talking about Lamb of God, Cradle of Filth or Messhugga.
We're talking about mostly songs with melody (excluding Rage, of course) and most of them were top 10 modern rock or rock hits.
But they're from hard rock and in some cases, metal bands.

KIOL is trying to be a well-programmed AOR, but I think the hand of cards they're playing with won't win jack squat.
They still have no overnight or night talent and they've been on the air for over 4 months!

Every time I talk to Wendy she just shrugs when I ask her if they're any closer to finding more DJ's.

I was hoping that KIOL would shake up KTBZ, but it's been the other way around for all 4 months.
KIOL calls themselves Houston's home for Metallica--I've heard no more than 3 Metallica songs, versus over 30 on The Buzz.
The Buzz plays more Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Nirvana--again KIOL plays maybe 2 songs from each of these artists, except maybe in the request hour.

It just doesn't look good for KIOL.

Re: The solution is this...(and W&J too)

> KIOL is doomed at its current frequency. The engineers are
> trying to balance optimism with the inevitability of sheer
> failure.

The engineers are doing the best THEY can.....they don't have control over the audio sound on air if the corporate rumor is true.....and personally 103.7 AND 97.5 have sucked lately...HEAVILY clipped and sometimes distorted (the mics especially!!)....Someone needs to shoot the person setting the processor...all it seems is they want it to be LOUD and 100% mod all the time...GAWD that sounds like sh*t!!! and I am in their demo also!! No dynamic range at all!!

Recently I have been noticing W&J have long sets of comedy bits from CDs or TV shows......when commercials SHOULD be playing.....well sure enough, I was able to hear WDGL 98.1 out of Baton Rouge and there was W&J talking about local stuff and spots were running on 98.1....yet on 103.7, you dont hear spots and instead you get this filler crap...

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN????

The sales folks are not selling the W&J show in Houston and cannot get the spot load full!! That does NOT mean good things for them!

> KIOL is trying to be a well-programmed AOR, but I think the
> hand of cards they're playing with won't win jack squat.
> They still have no overnight or night talent and they've
> been on the air for over 4 months!
>
> Every time I talk to Wendy she just shrugs when I ask her if
> they're any closer to finding more DJ's.
>
> I was hoping that KIOL would shake up KTBZ, but it's been
> the other way around for all 4 months.
>
> It just doesn't look good for KIOL.

Nope, it sure doesnt!!

> >
> > Number Two Although I think the playlist can use a major
> > overhaul too, I think you guys need to just buy Slipknot
> and
> > Mudvayne's entire catalog and put it in your CD changer.
> >
>
> I don't think it's only about playing some active rock, it's
> also in large part of playing the same tired songs. I am
> pretty sure that ZZ Top, Led Zepplin, The Who, SRV, and all
> the other bands put out more than 3 songs apiece.
>
> On KACC 89.7 they played an Ozzy song of him doing a remake
> of Mountain's "Mississippi Queen." Never heard it before!
> KACC plays a lot of WHO songs from "Live at Leeds." On KPFT
> 90.1 they played a Jimi Hendrix song from 1969 recored
> outdoors in Hawaii - awesome! Never heard it before.
>
> All good stuff, and they are the same artists that KIOL
> plays but KIOL is stuck pretending that these awesome bands
> only made 3 good songs apiece.
>
> As it stands.... KIOL is a piss poor station....
>
> Gotta go, I think I hear "Free Bird" playing in the
> background for the 1 trillonth time!
>
> Psssstttttt.... KIOL! Play the "B" side once in a while....
>
>
> JMHO
>

Well said Dial, oops I hear Rush "working man" I gotta go, I just loved that song back in Jr high...

that Live "Lighting Crashes" song sucked the life right out of me and killed any buzz that I had... :)

> No more caffeine or "illicit powder" for you, bucko, till
> you calm down. :)
>
>
>
>
> > Well I am glad that I gave up listening (trying to listen)
>
> > to this crap that KIOL is cramming down our throat. So as
> an
> > arm chair "wanna be" radio programmer post what songs you
> > like or dislike from this little sample of KIOL
> programming.
> > Of the ten songs listed here these are the ones I can live
>
> > without in my opinion.
> >
> > Lighting Crashes?? UH? WHat? WHo ? PPPPPPPPPUKE!
> >
> > I thank you? Yeah yeah yeah ZZ Topp is from Texas,
> whateva!
> >
> > Rock you like a Hurricane? Makes me remember the 9th grade
>
> > freshman dance, and I really do not want to remember that
> > dance.
> >
> > I can't quit you baby? Yeah I did quit, many many many
> years
> > ago so stop it already
> >
> > Detroit Rock city? Was that Alive 1 or 2? I was freaking
> 10
> > years old!!
> >
> > So what are your thoughts? Yes I realize some these songs
> > may be requests, but we all know they play ALL REQUESTS
> > don't they?
> >
> >
> >
> > 1:24 PM Lightning Crashes [Edit] Live
> > 1:13 PM Broken Hearted Savior Big Head Todd and the
> > Monste
> > 1:10 PM I Thank You ZZ Top
> > 1:05 PM Be Yourself Audioslave
> > 1:00 PM Rebel Yell Idol, Billy
> > 12:55 PM SO FAR AWAY STAIND
> > 12:51 PM Rock You Like A Hurricane Scorpions
> > 12:47 PM No Excuses Alice In Chains
> > 12:42 PM I Cant Quit You Baby Led Zeppelin
> > 12:38 PM Detroit Rock City Kiss
> >
>

> I'm just writing because I feel the same way about KIOL.
> I'd really, really like to see this station succeed...but I
> don't know if it can as-is.

> I feel like I need to grow a mullet to listen to the station
> sometimes....
>

A mullet! LOL!!! Good one!

Re: The solution is this...(and W&J too)

> The sales folks are not selling the W&J show in Houston and
> cannot get the spot load full!! That does NOT mean good
> things for them!
>

Yeah, even Walton commented on that on air a while back. Somebody called or wrote in and complained about how they are playing songs (actual classic rock songs) in the middle of the show.

They never did that on "Rock 101"-they just played a ton of commercials. There was no music during the show when it was on KLOL (emphasis on the first L).

Anyway, Walton said something like "well, when the sales department can't fill the alloted time, that's how they have to fill it".

Also, they didn't play their comedy spots and songs much before (in the KLOL days) except on Fridays. Now I hear them almost all the time.

That's tough to hear. I am hoping they have found a relatively permanent Houston home, but you guys are right...it does look (and sound) really shaky now!

JB

> Hi JB, long time no talk to, hope all is well. The promo's
> for W&J were about five times during the OD Show and I just
> heard one about five minutes ago (10:30pm). If I had only
> heard it once or twice during OD's show I would not have
> thought too much of it, as you know how W&J feel about the
> new system they have in that you use the mouse to start a
> break, etc. Guess it is very easy to start a song or spot,
> etc and not mean to with the system KIOL is using. I notice
> that they all still screw up with the thing.
>
> I have no idea what Cumulus has in mind, but it will start
> the first week of October (I think). This gives them plenty
> of time to get a good amount ahead. Just think that if KIOL
> goes through with the idea, someone has shitt for brains. I
> enjoy the show in the morning, but the repeats just don't
> cut it.

Wow...yeah that would definitely be overkill there. I must not have caught the spots you heard.

I can understand maybe running a few little "best of" spots on Saturday mornings, like a lot of the other morning shows do, but I don't think re-running the whole show is a good idea. I think they would be better off getting somebody live at nights from 7-Midnight.

I also think the show could work on same day re-runs in the late overnight period...if they need something to fill the time.

I like what you wrote about Cumulus possibly moving again-I know it's speculation and a longshot though. I hadn't thought of 104-but I just would be surprised if anybody messed with that station much.

I still like KIOL...they just need to do a little more tweaking.

Glad to hear you are doing fine! I may be traveling soon too...so that might be a refreshing change of radio pace...

Have a good weekend...
JB

>
> A mullet! LOL!!! Good one!
>

Glad you liked that. Maybe I was a little harsh on the station. It's just that there are a few songs that bring flashbacks to me and I see mullets everywhere.

Another BOB line for ya...since it, along with every other station in south Texas, was coming in crystal clear for me today....

"Bob remembers music from the 70s...and wiiiide open spaces between Austin and Round Rock".

Have a good weekend,
JB

> Glad you liked that. Maybe I was a little harsh on the
> station. It's just that there are a few songs that bring
> flashbacks to me and I see mullets everywhere.

I think it was a good reference, too. BTW, here's a priceless definition courtesy of a contributor to Urban Dictionary.com:

MULLET : Any hairstyle whereupon the top is shorter than the back, and said person wearing this hairstyle still thinks that quiet riot, whitesnake, cinderella, and all the other myriad of metal bands kick major ass. Addendum to definition: People with said hairstyle usually carry with them lifetime memberships to local respective strip clubs, and believe very firmly that Pabst Blue Ribbon is STILL the beer of choice, along with Budweiser.

The poster also added this footnote: ANY hard rock concert will definitely prove all that I have said

> MULLET : Any hairstyle whereupon the top is shorter than
> the back, and said person wearing this hairstyle still
> thinks that quiet riot, whitesnake, cinderella, and all the
> other myriad of metal bands kick major ass. Addendum to
> definition: People with said hairstyle usually carry with
> them lifetime memberships to local respective strip clubs,
> and believe very firmly that Pabst Blue Ribbon is STILL the
> beer of choice, along with Budweiser.
>
> The poster also added this footnote: ANY hard rock concert
> will definitely prove all that I have said
>

That's a good one!

I think there's a website, something like mulletjunky.com, where people can submit pictures of mullets. There is one where a little boy (with a mullet) is opening up Christmas presents and gets a toy Camaro. The caption under the picture says "Call it a foreshadowing, if you will". I couldn't stop laughing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom