• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Wolf

Why is the Wolf not playing what they’re supposed to be playing? They supposed to be playing classic country but they’re back to playing the 90’s to now like before they shifted it to classic country. Explain this to me please??

Who tells them what they're supposed to be playing?

But yes you're correct, they're playing 90s to now.

Why? A big drop in the ratings, especially in 25-54.

When this station first flipped, it beat KSCS in both share and demo. Not any more.

Last edited:
Who tells them what they're supposed to be playing?

But yes you're correct, they're playing 90s to now.

Why? A big drop in the ratings, especially in 25-54.

When this station first flipped, it beat KSCS in both share and demo. Not any more.
Right on the money. In addition, the 90's decade is now firmly positioned in the classic hits realm and not just with country music, @charles1234. 1994 was 30 years ago. Classic rock stations currently play Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Classic hits spins Backstreet Boys and N'Sync now, I mean, just look at The Spot. Cumulus tried shifting The Wolf a little older, the ratings dropped, and what you hear now is a course correction. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear most 20th century songs pulled from Wolf's rotation in the next year or two.

Why is the Wolf not playing what they’re supposed to be playing? They supposed to be playing classic country but they’re back to playing the 90’s to now like before they shifted it to classic country. Explain this to me please??

In most of the radio industry,early to mid 90s is considered country gold.. and in major to medium markets, what they play when they say classic country.

In most of the radio industry,early to mid 90s is considered country gold.. and in major to medium markets, what they play when they say classic country.

Correct, but when KPLX changed to classic country 2 years ago, they included an 80s song an hour. Randy Travis, Alabama, older Strait.

In fact, looking at the KPLX music log, I see they did play Ocean Front Property last week.

Think of it this way...

KSCS is a Country CHR targeting 18-44. KPLX is a Country AC targeting 25-54. The music can ebb and flow depending on the music cycle. When the current/recurrent offerings are strong enough, KPLX doesn't need to lean older.

Right now KSCS has a higher share, but KPLX out-cumes it and combined they've successfully prevented any other non-rimshot operator from attempting to carve a hole in their Country wall.

As others have noted, unlike Classic Hits, which is still very 80s centric, the sweet spot for Gold based Country stations are the 1990s.

Right on the money. In addition, the 90's decade is now firmly positioned in the classic hits realm and not just with country music, @charles1234. 1994 was 30 years ago. Classic rock stations currently play Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Classic hits spins Backstreet Boys and N'Sync now, I mean, just look at The Spot. Cumulus tried shifting The Wolf a little older, the ratings dropped, and what you hear now is a course correction. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear most 20th century songs pulled from Wolf's rotation in the next year or two.
When did the Spot play N’ Sync and Backstreet Boys?

Back
Top Bottom