• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Wave Fails At Christmas Music

Let's remember, this was the first year The Wave has done All-Christmas music. I'm sure when they switched, they burned off the audience that DIDN'T want all holiday songs. As David tells us, it may have taken a week or two for people that DO like Christmas music to find it on The Wave.

KOST has been doing All-Christmas music for a decade or more, I believe. For their audience, and others looking for holiday music, there was no transition period. When I looked at the December ratings, I was concerned at first that the decision to go All-Christmas was a loser for The Wave. Glad to hear from David that the 25-54 demo, what really matters, came through.

We can guess that the 6+ numbers will be better for the next ratings period, called "Holiday 2011." I remember a couple of years ago when three stations in Philadelphia went All-Christmas. When the ratings came out for Holiday 2009, they were ranked #1, #2 and #3.

Gregg
[email protected]

LA is a unique city. What flies elsewhere doesn't here. What does, doesn't elsewhere. In many markets they've had multiple Christmas stations. In LA only a few have tried it. KRTH did a few years back, and so dd KZLA. But neither did well with it. One year will not do it. I believe that a station like the Wave will need a few years to start building ratings numbers. I also think that KTWV actually did a nice job of offering an alternative to the super tight rotations of songs that Clear Channel programs at KOST. I think next year, should they do it, will be better for the Wave. I still want to see how well they did in the actual "Holiday" PPM. I'm thinking that they may have brought their numbers up as December progressed.

Very true I remeber the Fish and KOLA did all Christmas formats Im surpised they didnt flip this year. The Wave just hired a new music director who was from another AC station so we might see more tweaks into the coming year. Neitherless I enjoyed it and I didnt even bother to tune in to KOST.

wdb2003 said:
Very true I remeber the Fish and KOLA did all Christmas formats Im surpised they didnt flip this year. The Wave just hired a new music director who was from another AC station so we might see more tweaks into the coming year. Neitherless I enjoyed it and I didnt even bother to tune in to KOST.

A benefit of the Christmas music on the Wave is that many people will sample the station who might not have otherwise as many people still know it to be the "smooth jazz" station, even though they have reduced the smooth jazz component considerably. I'm quite sure there are many who tuned in for the first time that will stick around for awhile.

Im one of them since KHHT has been automated since Dec 18th playing the same 500 songs over and over which im not too hot on.

wdb2003 said:
Im one of them since KHHT has been automated since Dec 18th playing the same 500 songs over and over which im not too hot on.

Actually, I believe Renee Taylor is still "Live" and technically so is Art Laboe...

I thought she was on vacation til the 3rd I guess wrong. Is it me or does anyone notice Art Laboe never takes a day off the air but on Saturdays? Unless when hes sick they put on a old recording of his show?

wdb2003 said:
I thought she was on vacation til the 3rd I guess wrong. Is it me or does anyone notice Art Laboe never takes a day off the air but on Saturdays? Unless when hes sick they put on a old recording of his show?

I don't count vacations. Unless Renee's been fired, it's still a "live" shift, no matter how they fill-in for her absence...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom