• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Paramount Saga

As of today, the Warner-Discovery-Paramont merger talks are thankfully dead.

For those who were singing the praises of David Zaslav and Warner Brothers Discovery, its stock has fallen 47% in the past year and is now near a well-deserved 52-week low.

Why ask why? It's RadioDiscussions, it's here, and like that.

Along those lines, for those who like their history (can't be just me, can it?), here's a great read from yesterday's Hollywood Reporter:

Why ask why? It's RadioDiscussions, it's here, and like that.

Along those lines, for those who like their history (can't be just me, can it?), here's a great read from yesterday's Hollywood Reporter:

Viacom Is Having A Midlife Crisis This article was from 2015. It seems Viacom was kind of a sinking ship before re-merging with CBS/Showtime again. Perhaps CBS could have merged with someone else instead, but I think Redstone was invested in both companies. I think Bob Bakish was opposed to them merging earlier.

...and this unintentional follow-up: How the rush to streaming by Paramount and others decimated viewing on their linear cable channels. I knew it was grim, but these numbers surprised me:

Same here. I knew MTV was a ghost, but assumed that USA and TBS were holding their own. Those are some truly dismal numbers. One wonder when the ad agencies (or their clients) will wonder where the beef is and shift their ad dollars (what little there are of them) to targeted advertising on streaming services. I often watch FAST channels on Plex and Tubi and, lately, I've been seeing ads for local heating oil companies and feed and pet supply stores popping up during the breaks, along with regional ads for Ford and Chevy dealers. If this is where the ad money is going here in radio market #221, the outlook must be grim in the major markets.

Same here. I knew MTV was a ghost, but assumed that USA and TBS were holding their own. Those are some truly dismal numbers. One wonder when the ad agencies (or their clients) will wonder where the beef is and shift their ad dollars (what little there are of them) to targeted advertising on streaming services. I often watch FAST channels on Plex and Tubi and, lately, I've been seeing ads for local heating oil companies and feed and pet supply stores popping up during the breaks, along with regional ads for Ford and Chevy dealers. If this is where the ad money is going here in radio market #221, the outlook must be grim in the major markets.
https://www.scribd.com/document/696668579/Q4-23-Basic-Cable-Network-Ranker-Total-Viewers TBS is ranked #5 in primetime with 900k total viewers (though they were 2 mil in 2015.) Still much higher than MTV's 200-300k

So why should anyone who works in radio be surprised by any of this? Didn't the same thing happen in radio?

It's not because of bad programming, consolidation, or all the other excuses. It's media dilution.

With cable TV channels it's bad programming. That's the point of the article linked above. Example:

Without favorites like “The Walking Dead” or “Better Call Saul,” AMC’s prime-time viewership sunk 73% (...)

For many, most of the schedules are big blocks of reruns: “Seinfeld” and “The Office” on Comedy Central, “The Big Bang Theory” and “Young Sheldon” on TBS. Tyler Perry movies dominate. Cheap and cheesy nonfiction fills time: “90 Day Fiance,” “Prison Brides,” “Married at First Sight,” “Contraband: Seized at the Border.”

That’s not appointment TV. It’s accidental. Ghosts.

So why should anyone who works in radio be surprised by any of this? Didn't the same thing happen in radio?

It's not because of bad programming, consolidation, or all the other excuses. It's media dilution.
I think if I could predict I think the Turner nets will be among the last standing. Kathleen Finch said what they are doing is working and that she is working to continue to secure high rated programming for its channels.

With cable TV channels it's bad programming. That's the point of the article linked above. Example:
Cable channels are forced to do that type of block programming or the exodus would be larger, so they play the most popular shows in long marathons to get views. It seems like if you pull up Sling, you can always find Friends or Big Bang or some Blockbuster movie on, but not as much stuff with a more niche audience as that has gone to streaming.

The surprising thing is that anyone is shocked by this. Still doesn't explain why this thread wasn't moved to the television side of the boards but oh well.
Think about how much of a liability the Paramount cable channels are. The competition—new technology—is not a even match and the channels are now massive albatrosses hanging over the company's neck.

This is why Shari is having a really hard time finding anyone to take Paramount off her hands. It's Skydance and no one else—I do not count Byron Allen as he has a great track record of never closing that one big deal. And Skydance isn't exactly a bidder I'd be bullish on.

I'd give it a few months before Shari takes Paramount off the market.

If Clear Channel and Audacy had built Spotify and Tidal, then, yeah. But in TV, the guys who were making their money off stables of linnear channels built their own streaming competition.

Cable channels are forced to do that type of block programming or the exodus would be larger, so they play the most popular shows in long marathons to get views. It seems like if you pull up Sling, you can always find Friends or Big Bang or some Blockbuster movie on, but not as much stuff with a more niche audience as that has gone to streaming.

You mean "exclusively to streaming". Both Friends and Big Bang are on streaming platforms, and before Max took it, Friends was the most-viewed show on Netflix for several years in a row.

The surprising thing is that anyone is shocked by this. Still doesn't explain why this thread wasn't moved to the television side of the boards but oh well.

Think about how much of a liability the Paramount cable channels are. The competition—new technology—is not a even match and the channels are now massive albatrosses hanging over the company's neck.

This is why Shari is having a really hard time finding anyone to take Paramount off her hands. It's Skydance and no one else—I do not count Byron Allen as he has a great track record of never closing that one big deal. And Skydance isn't exactly a bidder I'd be bullish on.

I'd give it a few months before Shari takes Paramount off the market.
It is bleeding money, so she needs to sell it though.

Back
Top Bottom