• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Palm Beaches Wild 955 in the Florida Keys?

Can someone tell me how this station reaches the Keys with absolutely no static interference at all, yet a clear signal? Obviously through Miami-Dade and most of Broward County, you do not pick up the station without static or just bleeding over from 95.7. I found it very weird when driving through The Keys that Wild sounds as if they are part of the Keys Market! anyone? thanks!

You must have been experiencing tropo. Wild's tower, remember, is in Fort Pierce. Its signal significantly weakens in southern Palm Beach County, and the station is not listenable in most of southern Broward and nearly all of Dade County. There is a Spanish-language station on 95.7, located in Dade County, that precludes any reception of Wild.

As the signal of the aforementioned Spanish language station fades, I guess it is possible to pick up Wild, especially between Key Largo and Marathon. However, in the times I have driven the length of the Keys, I have never, ever picked up Wild. In fact, in the Keys, I have picked up far more Fort Myers stations than West Palm ones.

In Havana Cuba, I picked up WiLD 98.7 and some other station that used to be 92.7 and switched to 92.5 or vice versa. I picked it up as long as no clouds passed between Florida and Cuba. Any clouds moving by created static.

And, the other station was WEOW in Key West....ex-92.5, now 92.7. Currently they are on emergency power, as there is a transmitter issue.

Scott....any report for me?

cd

Tropospheric bending, which is what you are describing here, tends to take FM signals to about two or three times their normal coverage range. It occurs during temperature inversions, commonly found over water or at the edges from frontal boundaries (thus near where there are storms, etc.). The clouds didn't actually alter the signal to Havana, but they probably cooled the upper atmosphere enough to reduce inversions.

Being in Cuba or out at sea is a special case, because there are few local signals. This allows you to hear more distant stations that would otherwise be covered by them. If a new FCC rule prohibited all radio transmissions south of Vero Beach and shut down all stations in Miami, you would often hear Orlando and Tampa FM'ers when weather conditions allowed even a little bending. During times of no bending the dial would be completely empty, but that would be rare.

Bending is actually quite simple. When air or differing temperatures mixes it distorts waves. This is even true of lightwaves in the case of a mirage. When you open the car door on a sunny day the heat escapes, look above the door and you will see everything seems to bend slightly when you look at it through the extreme heat - the same thing happens to signals in the troposphere. This makes them travel to places they would otherwise miss.

Note - On the rare occasions (every several years for a few minutes) that may hear FM stations from about 1000 miles away that is an unrelated phenomenon called "skip", caused by solar flares ionizing the extreme upper layers of the atmosphere and making them reflective to FM or VHF TV signals.

@samb15: What can we do do get the FCC to shut down these stations? ;)

BTW it won't stop the pirates...we have over a dozen here, maybe up to 18 or 20 when active.

cd

Thanks - I wanted to look up that WEOW station to see what they are now. They seemed to break that Daniel Beddingfield early when I was in Cuba in 2002, and I loved how they used to do that Rhythm & Bass mix with booty bass remixes of urban hits and electro-freestyle every Wednesday or Thursday evening live from the club back in 1998.

WEOW was where I learned about The Kromozone Project, Alice Deejay, the Kamikaze remix of "when you think about me" by VOICE V, and "I do both Jay & Jane" by La Rissa, and heard other things by Jocelyn Enriquez, Mon A Q, La Bouche, Angelina, Lil Suzy, Cynthia, and more. There was another station I picked up from time to time called Y100 or something to that sort when I was in Havana, Cuba, as well as the Jammin hip hop station that was extremely hard to get. I remember picking up Y100 point something when they were doing their interactive 5 at 9 countdown with Amber's "sexual" in it.

WEOW seemed to be less dance in 2002 at 92.7 than they were in 1998 and 2000 at 92.5, although in 2002 they were playing China Dolls and Daniel Beddingfield. WiLD 98.7 was still playing dance material from Dj Sammy, Kosheen, and some latin booty bass hits during mixshows in 2002. Someone called Dj Trauma on WiLD 98.7 during the traffic jam mix at 5 and requested Miss Jane "it's a fine day" in 2002. I think they went mostly hip hop now. I'd have to say those were the best stations (on the dial) in Cuba, and it was funny to see other people driving by in their Cuban cars with "Swing my way" by KP & NV playing, as if Cuban's were familiar with that whole sound! I wonder if they knew that what they were listening to wasn't a Cuban station because remember, very little Cubans speak english to understand it when the station discusses U.S. events. They probably figured it (WEOW) was an American Cuban station for tourists and maybe their government didn't allow a stronger signal since it was American...etc. Who knows what the Cubans were thinking about it.

By the way, if you ever connect flights in Jamaica, take a walkman in the plane with you and listen to it after you take off and leave the airport! It's funny how you can still pick up their stations while well above ground, even after you get high enough for the flaps to retract! I can't even get some U.S. stations until I get fully out of the plane or at least near the open door!

As far as A.M. radio goes, I am in Phoenix, and on my WALKMAN I pick up A.M. stations from Utah and New Mexico. I was surprised when I heard a show I liked overnight and then heard the Utah news and station ID at the top of the hour. I was also surprised when I heard Coast to Coast am on two channels, then found out one of them was from New Mexico.

Speaking of WEOW, does Valentine still voicetrack middays there? Is Bill Bravo still on the air, plugging his club appearances on Duval Street?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom