• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Mouse selling WDWD to Salem

"If you could sell it, they'd let you program the audio of a goldfish bowl at 50 Kw omnidirectional in AM stereo simulcast on FM."
That's a bit of an exaggeration. A station still has to serve the public interest though I realize that benchmark has declined. The FCC would not let a station do that.

Perhaps a bit, but it is a close approximation of the concern Aunt Effsie has for what's put on the air these days. And a pretty darn close measure of the quality of programming out there today. Oh, how I long for the old days of tight production, clever promotion, and entertaining programming. I'd even listen to "elevator music" if it were done right!

There's an idea: stunt with un-telescoped WLS / WCFL airchecks this weekend. ...Brought to you by Nautel. The only transmitter that takes an underwater lickin' & keeps on tickin'! (look for the 2009 flood pics on-line).

The Fish tweeted a message about a new radio station on Monday. Its the new Faith Talk 590 found at faithtalkatlanta.com but it shows the current Faith Talk 970 logo as a choice also. So it looks like it 970 stays Christian talk and 590 will just do the same with the same name.

The Fish tweeted a message about a new radio station on Monday. Its the new Faith Talk 590 found at faithtalkatlanta.com but it shows the current Faith Talk 970 logo as a choice also. So it looks like it 970 stays Christian talk and 590 will just do the same with the same name.

They could be moving the 970 format to 590. I guess we'll know soon.

They could be moving the 970 format to 590. I guess we'll know soon.

I thought the plan was to move the 970 format to 590, and then put a Spanish Christian talk format on 970 (and who knows what's going to happen to 1400 which is currently simuling 970). I guess they are running the Faith Talk format on both signals for now to transition listeners to 590 before changing the format on 970.

And it appears that Salem is still using the WDWD calls for now. http://test.faithtalk590.com/

On the Air 5/11

Modulation sounds a little low compared to Radio Disney. They'll need some strong audio to overcome the interference on that end of the band.
I guess the Radio Disney audience has already migrated to the other end of the band to 1550.

Modulation sounds a little low compared to Radio Disney. They'll need some strong audio to overcome the interference on that end of the band.
I guess the Radio Disney audience has already migrated to the other end of the band to 1550.

The transmitters are both kinda sick. The 1st wave of parts is on the way... Film at eleven.

So true, so true. The FCC cares less than a rodent's hindquarters about "public service, convenience and necessity." If you could sell it, they'd let you program the audio of a goldfish bowl at 50 Kw omnidirectional in AM stereo simulcast on FM.

You could do that right now. And you could have done it in the 60's and 70's, as long as you maintained the Public File, did the required ascertainment and ran a certain amount of Public Affairs programming and a few PSAs.

Of course, in the 70's broadcasting something so bizarre might have opened the door for strike applications at renewal time. But, if a format that truly served some group of the population was on a station, you were generally fine. The FCC did not control formats save for the diminishing interest in preserving classical music stations that the regulator once had.

We'd better watch out. I read not long ago that one of the Scandinavian countries is going to be discontinuing (or permitting or licensing or authorizing) FM broadcasting next year. Claim there is better service via digital (read, "internet") services.

In Norway, "digital" does not mean "internet". It means DAB, a separate band where all broadcasting is digital. Norway is going to move most of the major government and private stations to DAB in a few years, apparently when the majority of listening is to the DAB broadcasts and not the FM ones. At present, about a quarter of listening is to DAB, despite well over a decade of development in Norway.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom