• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The future of terrestrial radio

As long as the money goes to the same place, the platform doesn't matter.
That's right ... we're only talking about the method of delivery. I'm suggesting that audio delivery is moving away from broadcast and toward IP and as the trend continues the transition will at some point become complete.

Of course by then we may all have chips embedded in our brains so content can be beamed to us a whole different way.

That's right ... we're only talking about the method of delivery. I'm suggesting that audio delivery is moving away from broadcast and toward IP and as the trend continues the transition will at some point become complete.

Except that the delivery method won't be TCP/IP due to its # of connection limitations. Some form of IP broadcasting will have to be developed which supports far more than the piddly number of connections we have today. The main problem with TCP/IP is that it is a two-way protocol which is not needed for broadcasting (a one-way protocol). And whatever method is developed it must be made harmless from external interference such as DOS attacks.

I'm not an engineer so I don't know the answer but, if Cable TV can handle the current level of video, isn't there enough capacity already for any or all audio demand out there?

Cable and TCP/IP share the same pipeline, they're both two-way (when you change channels or order a movie on-demand you're sending a signal back to the mother ship,) and from what I understand audio streams are 10 to 20 times smaller than video streams.

I'm not trying to be argumentative ... just curious. I used to hear the case you're making with respect to video, yet video streaming keeps expanding exponentially and you can't listen to a radio or TV show without being urged to go find more streaming content online. If bandwidth were a scarce resource I think we'd be pounded over the head to conserve!

To the consumer or to the supplier? Yes, costs to suppliers have gone down, but they haven't passed those decreases to their customers. My price for internet hasn't gone down at all, and they keep attaching new things to it.

My phone data recently increased from 500mb to 1GB at no additional cost. That's a 50% price decrease.

So you can see half of a movie instead of a quarter of it. You went from "nearly nothing" to "next to nothing".

According to these Super Session panelists at last month's NAB convention, it is definitely not a question of "if" but "when" -- and "when" is a lot sooner than many people think.

"Television's Transition to an All-IP Future -- Why it's a big deal"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSAlaxt_btg

Radio will likely follow rather than lead but the path will be the same.

According to these Super Session panelists at last month's NAB convention, it is definitely not a question of "if" but "when" -- and "when" is a lot sooner than many people think.

Maybe, maybe not. But this is not the path chosen by the government of Norway, which was in your OP. They have chosen DAB, which is broadcasting, but on a different part of the traditional spectrum.

As I said in earlier posts, radio companies are already offering their content via IP servers, including IHeartRadio, Radio.com, Rdio.com, and TuneIn.com. The AM stations you listen to are currently available on several of those sites.

Last edited:
And here's another point for you and me-the USA, Canada and Mexico use the IBOC system of digital radio.

Not completely true. Canada doesn't use it, they've just allowed 2 FM stations to test it. There are no plans to implement the system and no receivers have ever been available.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom