• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Early Days of KBIL 1140, Liberty, MO.

I lived in Sugar Creek and Independence back then (4th-7th grade). I remember seeing TV commercials advertising the "Sound of Town and Country, 1140 KBIL, stating it was signing on, I think as I'm going on memory, February 14, 1968.

I recall it was an adult contemporary station before the term existed and a country song about every 15 minutes. 5 minutes of news at :55 and headlines at :30. Weather at :15 and :45.

After a few months KBIL went country, maybe autumn 1968.

By spring 1969 it was adult contemporary and a favorite station (along with Top 40s WHB and KUDL and Album Rocker KCJC.)

Adult Contemporary is the term I use. MOR played Sinatra, Andy Williams, Jack Jones, Vicki Carr and mixed some easy stuff from top 40. KBIL plays the non-rock hits (they played Pleasant Valley Sunday by The Monkees down to Jean by Oliver and any Simon & Garfunkel...no MOR artists).

There was a jock name I recall, last name was Beaver, maybe Jim?

Any memories you can add?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom