• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The contrast between Stacy and Dave Mason

I listened to Cliff Albert announce the format change this morning and the accolades given
and I was struck how professional and dignified LaDona and Mason are.

And this past week, I noticed what a whiny little bitc* Stacy Taylor and his little putrid sidekick are
even though there is no "set in stone" decision on their status

What format change?
You mean KOGO?

I think there is a BIG difference between what is happening at KOGO and what MAY happen to 1360.
KOGO has always been a Talk Station, but emphasis has been on news. That's more of a tweaking than a format change. Officially, they're format is and will remain "News/Talk" at least in the eyes of those of collect data. Aside from the dropping of morning news, I'm not sure the rest of KOGO's listeners would notice. They still have Rush, they Still have Roger, they still have DR. L.

On the other hand, 1360's entire lineup of Liberal Voiced Talk could go away completely. In this case, en entire segment of the listening audience would lose the only outlet that speaks to them, the same way that Oldies fans have no where to turn for their music. Unforutnatley, a niche audience can't bring in the ratings. But that said, those people will have nothing else to listen to, like 'em or hate 'em.

Very different situations, imho.

Mr Radio Diary: I've never read an intelligent post from you & this is no exception. You
are allowing your political dogma to rule your feelings about KLSD. Grow up & be a man,
or if you feel so strongly why don't you grow a pair & say that to Stacy in person.

doublecashkgb said:
Mr Radio Diary: I've never read an intelligent post from you & this is no exception. You
are allowing your political dogma to rule your feelings about KLSD. Grow up & be a man,
or if you feel so strongly why don't you grow a pair & say that to Stacy in person.

Stacy Taylor will talk whichever side the program director will tell him to talk and based on what station gives him a paycheck.

When he was at KSDO when i moved to San Diego he was pretty conservative. Then he was on KOGO on his ill-fated evening show....and he was conservative on his last Friday show. On the following Monday on KLSD 1360 he turned his viewpoint into a liberal.

Misunderstanding "Spike"

Stacy Taylor is a Civil Libertarian, which is an entirely different animal from what the major party positions are. As a result he can seem very conservative or very liberal depending on the issue. On KOGO he tried to address issues for which he was closer to conservatives, while on KLSD, he sticks to those for which he is closer the liberals.

For example: On issues such as gun control, or big government, he is closer to conservatives in that he believes that the bill of rights should provide for people the right to do what they want in their own home. People should have the right bear arms, the right to smoke pot, or the right to do whatever, so long as it is in their own house. He also believes that Motorcycle riders should have the right to ride without a helmut: a driver should have the right to drive without seat belts. Anything where governemnt is less instrusive is more or less what he stands for.

But for that same reason, there are many situations where he is at odds with Republicans. For example, he likely believes that there should be no restrictions on undocumented immigrants crossging the border; that people should be allowed to pray whatever religion they choose (seperation of church and state); and that government has no right to legislate whether a woman should be allowed to have an abortion.

The fact is that Stacy's job is to play to the audience for the station that he is on. On KLSD, Stacy most likely payed attention to those issues which his audience were most likely to be on his side with. President Bush may be an easy target (like him or not), as is the Iraq war. But that does not mean that he is for one side or the other. Of course, people change their opinions all the time, and being that he has very liberal leaning callers, they may have been able to persuaded more to one side on certain issues.

Now, can we get back talking about radio please?

I was a DJ for a Christian FM station in Orange County from 1999 to 2001. I have been in radio for 20 years and I looked at this station as a station with a Christian format. Hey it was extra money every two weeks for me. I am not even close to being religious and I am very liberal, but working at this Chistian station was pretty cool for two years. Even though the format and values of the people that I worked with didn't agree with me, hey it was still radio. It was when they moved the station to Santa Ana that I decided that driving 100 miles each way on weekends was too far. The picture of George Bush on the studio window didn't help either but I made sure that was taken down during my air shift!

jprg said:
I was a DJ for a Christian FM station in Orange County from 1999 to 2001. I have been in radio for 20 years and I looked at this station as a station with a Christian format. Hey it was extra money every two weeks for me. I am not even close to being religious and I am very liberal, but working at this Chistian station was pretty cool for two years. Even though the format and values of the people that I worked with didn't agree with me, hey it was still radio. It was when they moved the station to Santa Ana that I decided that driving 100 miles each way on weekends was too far. The picture of George Bush on the studio window didn't help either but I made sure that was taken down during my air shift!

And for extra money why not espouse values you don't believe in, and especially when it lets be a real live radio announcer: that, when it comes down to it, is what life is all about, right? ;)

Re: Misunderstanding "Spike"

Garrett said:
Stacy Taylor is a Civil Libertarian, which is an entirely different animal from what the major party positions are. As a result he can seem very conservative or very liberal depending on the issue. On KOGO he tried to address issues for which he was closer to conservatives, while on KLSD, he sticks to those for which he is closer the liberals.

For example: On issues such as gun control, or big government, he is closer to conservatives in that he believes that the bill of rights should provide for people the right to do what they want in their own home. People should have the right bear arms, the right to smoke pot, or the right to do whatever, so long as it is in their own house. He also believes that Motorcycle riders should have the right to ride without a helmut: a driver should have the right to drive without seat belts. Anything where governemnt is less instrusive is more or less what he stands for.

But for that same reason, there are many situations where he is at odds with Republicans. For example, he likely believes that there should be no restrictions on undocumented immigrants crossging the border; that people should be allowed to pray whatever religion they choose (seperation of church and state); and that government has no right to legislate whether a woman should be allowed to have an abortion.

The fact is that Stacy's job is to play to the audience for the station that he is on. On KLSD, Stacy most likely payed attention to those issues which his audience were most likely to be on his side with. President Bush may be an easy target (like him or not), as is the Iraq war. But that does not mean that he is for one side or the other. Of course, people change their opinions all the time, and being that he has very liberal leaning callers, they may have been able to persuaded more to one side on certain issues.

Now, can we get back talking about radio please?

We are, Garrett.

He's washed up....his time in the sun was over some time ago. It's time for him to go back fulltime into real estate.

Drat. I read the first post, and thought "Hey a column about ME". But then I read on and it turned out to be about Stacy. Oh well. Stacy ?? A B**ch? He's still there, I'm not. What's that tell ya?

DaveMasonsd said:
Drat. I read the first post, and thought "Hey a column about ME". But then I read on and it turned out to be about Stacy. Oh well. Stacy ?? A B**ch? He's still there, I'm not. What's that tell ya?

Hahaha!

:D

Garrett said:

I've been listening to Stacy since he came from where ever and landed on KSDO back in the mid 80's. Stacy and a liberal fellow by the name of Ken Kramer got into quite a row on the air. Now it might have been a publicity stunt, they both got quite a bit of publicity out of it, but it sounded real to me (and I heard the whole thing live). Stacy was most decidedly not liberal minded, he couldn't really debate Ken without getting pretty riled up. If Ken came on Stacy's show today, there would be very little in the way of debate. They would now be in agreement on pretty much any issue brought up for debate. Which was real: the old Stacy or the new one? They definately are two different animals.

Mr_Radio_Diary said:
And this past week, I noticed what a whiny little bitc* Stacy Taylor and his little putrid sidekick are

I'm not sure about whiny, but the sidekick is indeed putrid. Phil Ferrar sounds like Walter Cronkite compared to Scooter.

Jacmac said:
Garrett said:

I've been listening to Stacy since he came from where ever and landed on KSDO back in the mid 80's. Stacy and a liberal fellow by the name of Ken Kramer got into quite a row on the air. Now it might have been a publicity stunt, they both got quite a bit of publicity out of it, but it sounded real to me (and I heard the whole thing live). Stacy was most decidedly not liberal minded, he couldn't really debate Ken without getting pretty riled up. If Ken came on Stacy's show today, there would be very little in the way of debate. They would now be in agreement on pretty much any issue brought up for debate. Which was real: the old Stacy or the new one? They definately are two different animals.

Libertarians generally don't work on liberal radio stations--they piss off the liberals. Think about it. Libertarians are all about Individual Liberty. Motto: "Leave Me Alone!!!" Less government. Individual Responsibility. Pull Yourself Up By Your Bootstraps stuff. It's the Cato Institute's daily "talking points" memo. Liberals are all about Community... Public Schools... Public Parks... Public Highways... Public Hospitals... Universal (Federal) Healthcare. Oh, yeah, and Peace--not Wars Of Choice.

So, how does a Libertarian end up anchoring a liberal radio station's morning show? Usually it's a decision made by an exec who doesn't know the difference.

Bottom Line: Could Taylor's Libertarian approach be holding down KLSD's numbers? Bet on it.

Naw, there's no way that Stacy is single-handedly holding KLSD back from greatness. KLSD programming is a joke in general and damned difficult to hear clearly in much of the county anyway.

Jacmac said:
Mr_Radio_Diary said:

I'm not sure about whiny, but the sidekick is indeed putrid. Phil Ferrar sounds like Walter Cronkite compared to Scooter.

Civil Libertarian and Liberal are not the same thing. Civil Libertarians are not liberals, but may agree with liberals on some issues.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom