• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The choice

when people have this choice----

dependable internet radio reception.
HD FM----AM.
Sirius---XM,

seems to me------most people willl choose internet radio.

Leaving HD FM--AM & sirius--xm to serve people
who don't have internet radio.
HD FM---AM & sirius--xm better create better
programming in order to survive.

People are definitely shifting toward the internet and it makes sense. Less commercials than broadcast radio, significantly cheaper than satellite radio, and better music content then both. The limited availability is the one major thing holding internet radio back.

Come back in 50 years when this actually happens. And the Internet isn't radio.

Broadcasting via frequency, satellite, or stream is radio. I read an article a couple of months ago where a survey was taken on how people in the U.S. listen to their favourite radio station. The results concluded that more than half of the participants in the survey listen via stream. Mostly listening with their smart phone. Also the article mentioned the rising sales figures of web radios being sold. A frequency is limited to range, weather conditions and etc. Satellite is limited to the signal penetrating man made structures and natural structures. The fact is also that every well known and terrestrial radio broadcasting company is now streaming.

My Nissan Titan is a 2004 model and even though it has a great audio system, it doesn't have Satellite or smart technology, but I purchased a Bluetooth device that plugs into one of my cigarette lighters and I sync it to my Android phone via Bluetooth and it then transmits an FM signal to an open frequency on my FM radio. It costs me nothing per se as it just uses part of my monthly data on my AT&T cell phone bill. Once I decide what station or show that I want to listen to, something you can't do on AM or FM radio. If the show's not on the air at the time in the area you are in, you are stuck with whatever is on the local station at that time. Internet Radio allows you to find a particular station or show anywhere in the country....the world actually, so I can normally find what I want to listen to almost any time of the day or night. As a last resort, I can listen to pre-recorded podcast of a show, again something that you can't do using traditional radio.

I choose the smallest bit rate, normally 32kbps to save on the data used that month. I've never used more than my monthly limit, so it's like having Satellite radio with no additional cost. I only listen to talk radio, so no need for 128kbps or 192kbps for music. If I want to listen to music, I've got a 6 cd changer and there's always an iTunes cd that I can pop in.

Anyway......the fact is that the sound quality is at or near FM quality and easily superior to AM radio. I only occasionally listen to AM radio, but not very often as it's....well AM radio and thus the sound quality is...well AM quality.

I rarely drive out into the country so my Android's signal is almost always high quality. When I do get out of town and out into the country......if I stick to major highways, my signal is good, so thus internet radio is good. If I really get off the beaten path, then I can lose connection, but that's true also of AM & FM radio as well. In fact, when it comes to AM & FM, you can be on the interstate and have mostly static on the AM band and usually decent signals on FM, but since I don't really listen to FM as few of them have talk radio, mostly music, that's not really helpful.

The point is that you don't have to have a newer vehicle to listen to internet radio. You can do as I did, spend around $75.00 and make your old stereo and smart phone work together to get the job done. You have more options and you can listen to shows and stations from across the globe. I sometimes listen to Australian talk radio. There are around 55,000 Shoutcast stations alone and the vast majority of them are music, so you have far more choice that what you could get, even in a major American city (New York, Chicago, LA, etc.). Most of the time, 25-40% of my listeners do so via their Smart Phone.

Bottom line.........it's estimated that within 5 years, virtually every NEW auto will have smart technology to be able to listen to internet radio, without having to buy anything else, like I did. Add to this that there are far more choices on internet radio than AM or FM and you can predict where this is going over time.

If you live in a real rural area, cell coverage will be less reliable than it is in a town of any size, but then again, AM & FM has few choices in rural areas. Since there are more people in metro areas, again in the long run, internet radio will be what many people turn to.

AM & FM radio will be with us for quite a few more years, but it's just a matter of technology before they die off. Unless of course there are dramatic advances in technology that will extend broadcast range and quality of signal.

Last edited:
Bottom line.........it's estimated that within 5 years, virtually every NEW auto will have smart technology to be able to listen to internet radio, without having to buy anything else, like I did. Add to this that there are far more choices on internet radio than AM or FM and you can predict where this is going over time.

More choices make it even harder for people to find what they want. For internet radio, the problem is getting people to find them on the infinite dial.

In the meantime, AM/FM radio is also streaming its programming on the internet, and has a marked advantage of being able to direct its listeners to its streams. It also has an advantage of having known brands and quality content. The distribution isn't the key. The content is. People won't listen to internet radio just because of the distribution, but rather because of the content they get. Right now, the radio companies simply spend more money on creating and marketing that content than anyone in internet radio.

True..they spend a ton more money to market their product and in most cases they are drowning in red ink. On the other hand, the VAST majority of internet radio stations are losing money like crazy. I'm able to make a small profit because of the format (talk radio) and thus the lack of royalty fees for streaming music.

Even though choice might make it difficult for some, but for the younger, up and coming listener, they are much more adept at using new media. I'm 57 years old, but I've been in the IT business since 1985, so the technology for new media isn't something that I struggle with. Most listeners my age........yes, they get lost pretty easily.....but keep in mind, most of us are all gonna be dead in another 10-20 years.

What I love about internet radio is that I can listen to stations from all over the country. Right now I'm listening to WHIO, using Tune-In on my Logitech Squeezebox (Internet Radio). It works wireless or like I'm doing, just plugging it into my router. Earlier I was listening to KFMB. Using radio's outdated technology, there is no way I could do what I'm doing. It's because of internet radio that makes it possible.

If you've never used Tune-In, Stitcher or iTunes to listen to internet radio, you will soon come to realize how EASY it is to find any kind of content that you wish to listen to, whether it be music or talk. Using radio, I can hit scan and find 5-10 stations. Using internet radio and tune-in, I can find THOUSANDS of stations, all sorted by category. Even an old fart like me with no skills can visit one of the services I mentioned and within just a couple minutes, figure out how to explore all the traditional stations that are on the internet and also all the internet only stations that are out there. Once people realize the huge selection and how easy it is.........it's just another nail in the coffin of real radio.

Once people realize the huge selection and how easy it is.........it's just another nail in the coffin of real radio.

It depends. The folks at Baskin Robbins have at least 31 flavors, giving the public a choice. Yet they'll tell you their most popular flavor is still vanilla.

Choice only matters when what you want isn't available. For radio, that means niche formats like opera, bluegrass, jazz, and Americana. Fans of those genres are looking for their favorite, so they want a choice. The rest of the public isn't that motivated. And when people seek our radio on the internet or their mobile device, they're more likely to go for good old vanilla, like they do at Baskin Robbins.

There's nothing wrong with vanilla....but when the one or two stations that you can receive aren't what you want (i.e. Neapolitan), then internet radio not only has vanilla, chocolate and Neopolitan, but they've got butter pecan too.

That being said........many people won't go to ANY trouble to find what they want. If they don't find it in under 10 seconds, they'll pop a CD into the disc player and radio of any kind is out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom