• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The CBS 2024-25 season thread

Ghosts is a great show - glad it got renewed!

Deadline speculates on the future of some unrenewed shows:

They’ll probably keep “Equalizer,” “NCIS:Hawaii,” and “Elsbeth” around since those three do well ratings wise. And they do have a fan base as well.

NCIS Hawaii is dicey. It ain’t cheap to do a show in Hawaii, and if it’s a case of a partial order or none, none may be the option.

That said, articles mention NCIS Sydney as if it’s a traditional US season show; it’s 8 episodes. That’s slightly more than a utility player to plug in an extended rest for another show. There’s no indication the Australian producers have interest in a 20-something episode US based season. And while it did perfectly well to warrant a renewal, in the US it was strike filler. What happens against full competition is a wild card. Counting against Hawaii the most is “Origins.”

Elsbeth is a near lock to be back. They’re high on it by all indications, the very early numbers were good, and it can fit nicely in their portfolio.

NCIS Hawaii is dicey. It ain’t cheap to do a show in Hawaii, and if it’s a case of a partial order or none, none may be the option.

Shades of what happened to East New York last year. The show was well received and did well in the ratings, but the production costs and licensing fees did the show in when it came to renewing it or SWAT.

Now CBS has renewed S.W.A.T. again, I hate to say it as I enjoy the show but I think So Help Me Todd is a goner unfortunately.

Maybe Matlock will be worth checking out in the fall.

East NY was a bit of a surprise, but in the end, the article is correct, that there is only so much shelf space. And what happens with pilots and direct-to-series orders is going to push shows that might have survived in another year off the schedule.

Had this been a normal length season, there could be a stronger case for a fourth full season for NCIS Hawaii to get a stronger syndication package option. As it is, if they do squeak by with a 13-ish episode order, that's still not going to do much given this season's paltry number of shows. SWAT on the other hand can bank episodes for its already decent total to run in syndication. So Help Me Todd is also not likely to make it to the syndication viability stage, so maybe just cut the losses and move on given the audience drop off. And the same for CSI Vegas, which was a pretty decent continuation of the original, having only two half seasons and one full one.

Any of those shows might still wind up in a weekend slot on a diginet looking for weekend filler, like CSI Cyber as an example, on Start TV. But they're not likely to reach NCIS LA level episode totals where they can be run in big blocks on high-visibility channels.

Such is life.

And if Matlock succeeds, along with Elsbeth being renewed, that gives CBS a duo of "quirky character" procedurals, and perhaps that's enough. The rest are more straightforward, formulaic shows (that's not a criticism) that balance their particular approach.

Deadline speculates on the future of some unrenewed shows:

This just in…

Back
Top Bottom