• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Breakfast Club | 105.3 THE BEAT

With the Atlanta radio market being the 7th largest and the second highest number of black people living here in the country. I am surprised it took all this time to get a 2nd full market FM to cater to the audience. V did not get any FM competiton until Radio One launched Hot 97.5 in 1996. Now we have translators 102.9 94.5 and 97.9 plus 107.9 97.5 104.1 107.5 and now 96.1 targeting Atlanta's black population

With the Atlanta radio market being the 7th largest and the second highest number of black people living here in the country. I am surprised it took all this time to get a 2nd full market FM to cater to the audience. V did not get any FM competiton until Radio One launched Hot 97.5 in 1996. Now we have translators 102.9 94.5 and 97.9 plus 107.9 97.5 104.1 107.5 and now 96.1 targeting Atlanta's black population

Kiss had been competing with V for a long time before Hot came along. But they were at 104.7.

Actually, Cox missed the golden ticket with the full market coverage when they launched 97.1 JAMZ to target V-103 back in 2003. The music format should have been Hip-Hop/R&B but if I can remember they were trying to protect 95.5 The Beat. Around that time, Atlanta’s hip hop music core was really taking off!

I'm not sure why they'd be concerned about chipping away at Q100 if they (i.e. iHM) no longer have a CHR format on a big stick, but from a national strategic standpoint, I agree that low budget CHR cannot be ruled out.

A gold based country format to combo with Bull would make some sense.

Filling a format void such as classic hits or mainstream rock would also make some sense (I think the former would be a much smarter move).

Straight up Classic Rock could be an interesting option. That would reach demos their existing brands largely ignore.

My fear is 105.3 will flip to gimmicky BIN programming.
In order:
1) It doesn't look good for iHeart to not clear Seacrest (and Seacrest AT40) in his hometown market.
2) That worked great for years for the Mouse with Kicks and Y/Eagle. 101.5 did try a more gold-based format, and that didn't do well. For some reason classic country--even 90s country--doesn't do as well in practice as it seems like it should.
3) and 4) I don't understand why nobody wants to pick up classic hits or classic rock and steal some of River's share. A poppier classic hits would do well, as would a more traditional classic rocker. Heck, if iHeart wanted to do it on the cheap they could put the iHeartRadio 96 Rock feed on the air, sell some spots, and probably be guaranteed at least a 2 share.
5) I know why iHeart is doing BIN, but I don't think iHeart gets anything else for BIN if they increase share beyond the occasional 0.1 Nielsen "participation trophy" rating some months. I don't know their sales model; do they get anything additional for it beyond simply clearing the network in ATL? Meanwhile, they're getting clobbered by WAOK.

Last edited:
2) That worked great for years for the Mouse with Kicks and Y/Eagle. 101.5 did try a more gold-based format, and that didn't do well. For some reason classic country--even 90s country--doesn't do as well in practice as it seems like it should.

It depends on the market. Cumulus is doing a country combo in Dallas, Des Moines, and Nashville. iHeart does it in Austin. Steel City does it in Kansas City. Sometimes the Gold station outperforms the currents station. But they're always competitive. That wasn't the case for Cox in Houston, but the classic country was on a weaker signal.

A poppier classic hits would do well, as would a more traditional classic rocker.

More pop usually means an older demo. That's why The River doesn't go that way.

Actually, Cox missed the golden ticket with the full market coverage when they launched 97.1 JAMZ to target V-103 back in 2003. The music format should have been Hip-Hop/R&B but if I can remember they were trying to protect 95.5 The Beat. Around that time, Atlanta’s hip hop music core was really taking off!
On paper 97.1 could have worked but in reality 97.1 is just a little bit below average in southwest Atlanta thanks to the buildings in Downtown and more importantly the curvature of the earth. 104.1 really works south of Buckhead. 96.1 has no excuse not to be successful. iHeart will have to earn it's 96.1 listenership. I doubt any of their competitors are afraid of iHeart Atlanta programming abilities.

I doubt any of their competitors are afraid of iHeart Atlanta programming abilities.

I suspect they’re taking it seriously given the signal. Also, how much influence does the Atlanta programming team have? I’ve heard very little that’s local on that station save for the imaging and traffic reports. It will be interesting to see whether listeners realize that. My guess is that most will not.

Last edited:
I suspect they’re taking it seriously given the signal. Also, how much influence does the Atlanta programming team have? I’ve heard very little that’s local on that station save for the imaging and traffic reports. It will be interesting to see whether listeners realize that. My guess is that most will not.
Afternoons and nights are local. The majority of iHM urbans carry the Breakfast Club mornings and Angela Yee in middays which is an absolute snooze fest! Both shows are based from NYC and just doesn’t mesh well down South, IMO.

Afternoons and nights are local. The majority of iHM urbans carry the Breakfast Club mornings and Angela Yee in middays which is an absolute snooze fest! Both shows are based from NYC and just doesn’t mesh well down South, IMO.
Not power 99 in Philly they only have the breakfast club on the weekends power 99 listeners don’t respond well to gossip shows on the station anglea yea could be pulled soon

Back
Top Bottom