• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Best Classic Hits Station You're Not Listening To #1

In this age of 50's and 60's Oldies and 70's/80's/90's Classic Hits and never the two shall meet, there are those who never got that memo. They can be found in the smallest of Radio markets or hiding in the suburbs of the major ones, waiting to be discovered. So, come with me and let's go exploring!

Our first stop is the small town of Mount Gilead, North Carolina near Charlotte. Here, the Mount Gilead Community Concerts Association (MGCCA) runs the 27 Watt Low-Powered WMTG 88.1. Musically, this station runs the gamut of pop & rock from the 1950's through the 1990's! Most hours are programmed with songs from each of those decades. There is also a live curated show, "G Money's Beach Party" on the weekends. Hourly News comes from both the UK produced Feature Service News and Pacifica. Here's a sample hour Playlist from earlier today (4-5pm Eastern)

Rhythm of the Rain -The Cascades
Can't Get Enough - Bad Company
Family Man - Hall & Oates
Precious and Few - Climax
You May Be Right - Billy Joel
Blue Moon - The Marcels
Drowning in the Sea of Love - Joe Simon
If I Could Turn Back Time - Cher
Hey, Western Union Man - Jerry Butler
Bang a Gong (Get It On) - T Rex
Make a Move on Me - Olivia Newton-John
Cried Like a Baby - Bobby Sherman
Three Marlenas - The Wallflowers
Him or Me (What's It Gonna Be) - Paul Revere & the Raiders
United We Stand - Brotherhood of Man

Imagine hearing an hour like this on CBS-FM or WLS today!

WMTG is one of the better LPFMs out there. Their mix is a little too wide and I'd be punching the button about every 15 minutes especially with the hourly news. They supposedly do about 12 local updates a day.

As you listened, you might hear underwriting. How much you hear is a good reflection on how well they are doing both in listeners and sales effort. Underwriters get 3 spots a day for $60 a month or $660 a year if paid in advance. Local information breaks are 12 per day every weekday or 60 per week with weekly sponsorship being $50.

The rates are not bad considering.

The station has been around since the first LPFMs came on. They have remained stable and consistent all along. That says so much.

I would change a few things (but that likely goes for 99% of stations I listen to). I'd tighten the playlist a notch and drop news to AM drive and likely only do FSN (Feature Story News) and if I did any daytime updates, FSN's 30 second headlines is good.

You might try 102.3 WBSC www.wbscradio.org
Rising High Foundation replaces what had been Bamberg's local radio station with an automated oldies/classic hits format with local information. Local support was so ample at first, the building the station was in was purchased, fixed up and gifted to the community by the station. While Underwriting is available, the station simply states the money they need and people contribute. It helps that the board is comprised to people who have held positions in the community and are known for their generosity. You might like these guys.

If you like 70s, no one beats "The 70s Time Machine" no ads, no djs, no jingles, just a very short vocal I.D. on top of the hour, selection of 70s is unbeatable, for 60s try The Pittsburgh Oldies Channel" (WIQK) same deal no ads, no djs and huge selection off of the mainstream.

In this age of 50's and 60's Oldies and 70's/80's/90's Classic Hits and never the two shall meet, there are those who never got that memo. They can be found in the smallest of Radio markets or hiding in the suburbs of the major ones, waiting to be discovered. So, come with me and let's go exploring!

Our first stop is the small town of Mount Gilead, North Carolina near Charlotte. Here, the Mount Gilead Community Concerts Association (MGCCA) runs the 27 Watt Low-Powered WMTG 88.1. Musically, this station runs the gamut of pop & rock from the 1950's through the 1990's! Most hours are programmed with songs from each of those decades. There is also a live curated show, "G Money's Beach Party" on the weekends. Hourly News comes from both the UK produced Feature Service News and Pacifica. Here's a sample hour Playlist from earlier today (4-5pm Eastern)

Rhythm of the Rain -The Cascades
Can't Get Enough - Bad Company
Family Man - Hall & Oates
Precious and Few - Climax
You May Be Right - Billy Joel
Blue Moon - The Marcels
Drowning in the Sea of Love - Joe Simon
If I Could Turn Back Time - Cher
Hey, Western Union Man - Jerry Butler
Bang a Gong (Get It On) - T Rex
Make a Move on Me - Olivia Newton-John
Cried Like a Baby - Bobby Sherman
Three Marlenas - The Wallflowers
Him or Me (What's It Gonna Be) - Paul Revere & the Raiders
United We Stand - Brotherhood of Man

Imagine hearing an hour like this on CBS-FM or WLS today!
Man, dump the 80s titles and I'd really dig a station like that for sure!

WION 1430 also has a real nice eclectic mix of tunes! I'm not one for the 80s (I find that to be my least favorite decade from 1800 - present). Aside from the 80s stuff I really enjoy the tunes they play!

Back
Top Bottom