• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The 2024 predictions thread

Big 12 Network is launched by ESPN.

Bob Bowersox relaunches a show to go up against In the Kitchen with David.

Dinner Inpossible comes back.

Remakes of like Seinfeld,Home Improvement,Brady Bunch get announced.

ABC launches a Weather Channel and a combination Financial/News Channel on Cable Systems.

NBA Draft site changes every year and Teams come up to annouce picks and Commissioner still annouce Trades. Yes GM's on the floor to talk Trades. Even do Draft outside.

There are 153 linear channels.

A WBD-Paramount merger would not give them "practically all" or anything close to that.

You seem to be confusing anti-trust, which is meant to prevent outright monopolies, with anti-consolidation, and consolidation is part of the life cycle of industries taught in Econ 101.
Could be. But is Paramount really at risk of being sold or speculation?

Could be. But is Paramount really at risk of being sold or speculation?

Tell me you’re not reading my posts carefully without actually saying those words.

(Screen goes all wavy, harp music plays)

4:17 a.m. today, in a reply to you that you replied to:

Max (the former HBO Max) survives and could be bigger if Warner Bros. Discovery acquires Paramount's content (not just spitballing---see Friday's Hollywood Reporter: “For Sale” Sign on Paramount Will Shape Shari Redstone’s Legacy).

Big 12 Network is launched by ESPN.

Bob Bowersox relaunches a show to go up against In the Kitchen with David.

Dinner Inpossible comes back.

Remakes of like Seinfeld,Home Improvement,Brady Bunch get announced.

ABC launches a Weather Channel and a combination Financial/News Channel on Cable Systems.

NBA Draft site changes every year and Teams come up to annouce picks and Commissioner still annouce Trades. Yes GM's on the floor to talk Trades. Even do Draft outside.
No, just no. This is absurd.

Tell me you’re not reading my posts carefully without actually saying those words.

(Screen goes all wavy, harp music plays)

4:17 a.m. today, in a reply to you that you replied to:

Max (the former HBO Max) survives and could be bigger if Warner Bros. Discovery acquires Paramount's content (not just spitballing---see Friday's Hollywood Reporter: “For Sale” Sign on Paramount Will Shape Shari Redstone’s Legacy).
I guess that is true then. Sometimes it seems like there are a lot of articles which offer things which never do happen, but this could be a real possibility next year. The studio Skydance looks like it could buy it. I just wonder if there is any chance a sale does not go through and Paramount retains ownership of everything? (As is sometimes the case.)

I guess that is true then. Sometimes it seems like there are a lot of articles which offer things which never do happen, but this could be a real possibility next year. The studio Skydance looks like it could buy it. I just wonder if there is any chance a sale does not go through and Paramount retains ownership of everything? (As is sometimes the case.)

This is a more thorough analysis:

Bottom line: Paramount is the weakest of the old-line major networks and its streaming platform ties Peacock for the biggest flop. The difference is NBCUniversal can afford to lose some money and Shari Redstone can't.

This is a more thorough analysis:

Bottom line: Paramount is the weakest of the old-line major networks and its streaming platform ties Peacock for the biggest flop. The difference is NBCUniversal can afford to lose some money and Shari Redstone can't.
In that case, it actually looks like a real possibility. Surprised Paramount was doing so poorly after the success of Top Gun: Maverick and you'd think CBS would be enough to keep it afloat (in terms of linear ratings, it still does very well, especially with the NFL.) Though I do notice the cable stations are infamous for speeding up shows and making half-hour shows into 35 minute ones with extra commercials.

Regarding the college football predictions... the College Football playoffs expand to 12 teams next year. So there won't be a major oversight like Florida St next year, as they'd be easily in then. Florida St won't change conferences just because of the playoffs, and the government won't get involved over the 13th team that is left out of the 12 team playoffs. I suppose a Senator of that state could make noise for that 13th team, but the temporary outrage won't go anywhere just like it doesn't for the teams left out of the NCAA Men's basketball tournament.

Another prediction - the Pac 12 Network will go defunct. Everybody's jumping ship from the Pac 12, except WSU and Oregon State, so I expect their sports coverage will be going to streaming or consolidated with another network. Am I crazy for predicting that *SWX*, KHQ's digital network, could be a contender to broadcast baseball, volleyball and/or soccer from WSU? It would fit in well with the EWU and U of Idaho football coverage.
Longhorn Network will be winding down operations at the end of the school year as they move to the SEC...but could the Longhorn Network become the new 'Big XII Network'?

NBA on NBC returns on both NBC and Peacock on the national level if approved.

However this time they will get some of the regional announcers currently assigned to do NBA on NBC Sports Regional to go national like Bob Fitzgerald, Kellena Azibuke who are known as the announcers from Golden State Warriors on NBC Sports Bay Area get mentioned as candidates to go national if NBC gets the national NBA contract.

Another prediction - the Pac 12 Network will go defunct. Everybody's jumping ship from the Pac 12, except WSU and Oregon State, so I expect their sports coverage will be going to streaming or consolidated with another network. Am I crazy for predicting that *SWX*, KHQ's digital network, could be a contender to broadcast baseball, volleyball and/or soccer from WSU? It would fit in well with the EWU and U of Idaho football coverage.
Longhorn Network will be winding down operations at the end of the school year as they move to the SEC...but could the Longhorn Network become the new 'Big XII Network'?
Second Big 12 Network..

NBA on NBC returns on both NBC and Peacock on the national level if approved.

However this time they will get some of the regional announcers currently assigned to do NBA on NBC Sports Regional to go national like Bob Fitzgerald, Kellena Azibuke who are known as the announcers from Golden State Warriors on NBC Sports Bay Area get mentioned as candidates to go national if NBC gets the national NBA contract.

Mike Tirico.

There already is a Big 12 Network, dubbed Big XII+, but it's only carried on ESPN+, not available on cable/satellite TV. In the current media/advertising atmosphere, what's the point of staking out new ground in cable/satellite, which is dying?

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks. However, they will have a new plate of teams to air...Colorado, Utah, Arizona, etc. I loved watching the Utah Utes defeat USC (again) earlier this year in college football. Meanwhile, I would love, love, love to see my Huskies in the CFP championship game!! They need to take down Texas first. But a Michigan vs. Washington showdown in the championship (aka, a rematch of the '92/'93 Rose Bowls) would be awesome to watch.

I am not sure what will happen to the Daily Wire Plus. Might do okay in MAGA country (Roseanne Barr, Megyn Kelly and Candice Owens are part of some new animated "non pc" comedy) so it is possible in 2024 there will be more "edgy" rightwing content in the form of entertainment, possibly entering the mainstream.

Yes, and more details are getting updated…

Back
Top Bottom