• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tampa AM Station Buys Transmitter to Go All-Digital

Tampa’s WMGG hopes to be broadcasting in all-digital format on the AM band by early next year.

We told you earlier about the plans by NIA Broadcasting President Neal Ardman. Now transmitter maker Nautel reports that Ardman has ordered the necessary equipment.

“The station has announced the purchase of a Nautel NX3HD with HD IBOC exciter upgrade and a Nautel HD MultiCast+ Importer/Exporter; delivery is anticipated prior to the end of 2020,” Nautel stated in a release.
[...]
https://www.radioworld.com/news-and...am-station-buys-transmitter-to-go-all-digital

Tampa’s WMGG hopes to be broadcasting in all-digital format on the AM band by early next year.

We told you earlier about the plans by NIA Broadcasting President Neal Ardman. Now transmitter maker Nautel reports that Ardman has ordered the necessary equipment.

“The station has announced the purchase of a Nautel NX3HD with HD IBOC exciter upgrade and a Nautel HD MultiCast+ Importer/Exporter; delivery is anticipated prior to the end of 2020,” Nautel stated in a release.
[...]
https://www.radioworld.com/news-and...am-station-buys-transmitter-to-go-all-digital

Neal was one of the pioneers of offering retro TV shows on LPTV and "dot" channels like METV and Cozi. He didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday.

Good idea to get the old static stations out of 1970's technology. Hope the rest can follow suit to save AM radio.

Will this motivate people to go out and buy receivers that are digital capable?

Will this motivate people to go out and buy receivers that are digital capable?

Yeah, about the same time as they build that big airport for the flying pigs.

Yeah, about the same time as they build that big airport for the flying pigs.
ZVCNZORUYBHD7D3U6MEYOTD74A.jpg

I am looking forward to this. Glad to see it in my back yard. Unlike WWFD, I don't have to travel very far to hear it.

OTOH, I was disappointed that, during a recent trip to New Jersey, I was unable to hear WWFD since the Visteon Jump I had in the car was only capable of MA-1.

I have since installed a JVC add-on in my car, along with the Visteon. The JVC is newer and may have the capabilities of the newer MA-3.

I'll know for sure if I hear hash only on 1470. If I can't decode it, I'll have to install another radio in the car.

After all, What are inverters for?

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

OTOH, I was disappointed that, during a recent trip to New Jersey, I was unable to hear WWFD since the Visteon Jump I had in the car was only capable of MA-1.

I have since installed a JVC add-on in my car, along with the Visteon. The JVC is newer and may have the capabilities of the newer MA-3.

I'll know for sure if I hear hash only on 1470. If I can't decode it, I'll have to install another radio in the car.

After all, What are inverters for?

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!
There is no such thing. If your radio will receive AM HD Radio ever, it will receive MA3 full digital. Same decoder.
Full digital AM is nothing new. We were testing it back when the first AM-HD transmission equipment was being delivered to stations back in the 90's. Just had to connect a laptop to the exciter and shut down the analog modulation.

There is no such thing. If your radio will receive AM HD Radio ever, it will receive MA3 full digital. Same decoder.
Full digital AM is nothing new. We were testing it back when the first AM-HD transmission equipment was being delivered to stations back in the 90's. Just had to connect a laptop to the exciter and shut down the analog modulation.
With all due respect, the Visteon Jump has been a staple in my cars for over 10 years. They are great little add-ons and have a remote designed for the home kit, since they are transportable between home and car. The remote still has a workaround for car use.

Over the years, I have listened to stations all over Florida which have broadcast in iBOC, and some skywave out of state. WCBS came in on Alligator Alley (I-75) when they had their HD on.

This is why I was disappointed when I found the radio would not decode WWFD during my October trip.

The Jump was designed, built, and released before the adoption of MA-3.

Hopefully, the JVC will fare better, but for features and convenience, the Jump is far superior.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

From my conversations with Dave Kolesar at Hubbard and Mike Raide at Xperi, there are indeed a few earliest-generation tuners that can't get MA3 all-digital, even though it was supposed to have been baked into the hardware from the beginning. I believe it's been a problem with some early aftermarket HD radio car stereos, too. Rare, but not unknown.

I've had no problem with it yet on anything I've tried within range of WWFD - a couple of Toyota car stereos (2013 and 2016 model years), Sony XDR-F1HD, and an Audiovox-branded tabletop unit.

From my conversations with Dave Kolesar at Hubbard and Mike Raide at Xperi, there are indeed a few earliest-generation tuners that can't get MA3 all-digital, even though it was supposed to have been baked into the hardware from the beginning. I believe it's been a problem with some early aftermarket HD radio car stereos, too. Rare, but not unknown.

I've had no problem with it yet on anything I've tried within range of WWFD - a couple of Toyota car stereos (2013 and 2016 model years), Sony XDR-F1HD, and an Audiovox-branded tabletop unit.
Scott:

I do not consider my experience a dud. To paraphrase Edison, I've found at least one way it does not work and why.

As far as I have found, the MA-3 was incorporated after 2006 and those cars you have mentioned were newer than the decision.

I am fortunate as WMGG is within an earshot of my home in Sa-ra-so-ta! and I go to Tampa alot. I will be able to drive it without driving any different when they light the digital torch.

A CC Witness serves as a nice mobile recording device since the Jump has an AUX and so does the factory radio.

The JVC is daisy chained directly off of the antenna and I'm relatively certain it has the MA-3 decoding.

At least these devices are easier to find than ATSC 3.0 boxes...

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Interesting to hear that another station back East is planning to make the jump. I hope they can succeed in making it work.

How many listeners will jump thru all of those hoops to hear a station. I wish these pioneers good luck.

Late yesterday afternoon I was driving to TPA. WMGG was off the air and WWNN from South Florida was received, albeit, in the grass as I drove over the Skyway Bridge.

As I was coming off of the Hump of the HFB, I looked at the radio and it was on in digital with the JVC.

My jump was able to decode the station, I can only assume, the exciter was defaulted to MA1.
The JVC transportable is a little newer and might have the MA3 decoding.

Watch this thread for updates. I will be back up there tomorrow.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Reactions: rbc
Flying pig captured, receives death sentence:
Somebody is spending alot of money in an attempt to increase the AM listening experience.

I doubt you and I could be friends.

You are too rude and infantile for me.

Enjoy your meal.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom