• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Talk Radio Scoreboard for Major Markets: April 2015

April was not a great month for Talk Radio. Among the major market stations, only KFI Los Angeles, WGN Chicago, WMAL Washington and WSB Atlanta are in their city's top 10 list. WSB remained at #2, while WGN jumped up to #8 from its previous 11th ranking. WLS Chicago, which recently had some personnel changes, is barely above a 1.0.

KABC Los Angeles slipped a bit further along with the news that Judge Christina Perez, recently hired as the station moves away from political talk, is leaving to concentrate on her TV show and her family. Of course, she already had the TV show and the family when she took the KABC job earlier this year.

1. New York ... WABC (Cumulus) #18 tie .... WOR (iHeart) #20 ... WKXW(FM) (Townsquare) #21 tie
2. Los Angeles ... KFI (iHeart) #10 ... KEIB (iHeart) #32 tie ... KABC (Cumulus) #38
3. Chicago ... WGN (Tribune) #8 tie ... WLS (Cumulus) #27
4. San Francisco ... KSFO (Cumulus) #19 tie ... KGO (Cumulus) #22 tie ... KKSF (iHeart) #28
5. Dallas ... WBAP (Cumulus) #16 tie
6. Houston ... KTRH (iHeart) #11 tie
7. Washington ... WMAL-AM-FM (Cumulus) #9
8. Philadelphia ... WPHT (CBS) #21
9. Atlanta ... WSB/WSBB(FM) (Cox) #2 ... WYAY(FM) (Cumulus) #21
10. Boston ... WRKO (Entercom) #19

* I only include commercial Talk stations that scored at least a one rating, except for heritage Talk outlet KABC Los Angeles and Rush's LA outlet, KEIB.

The challenge continues to be coming up with topics that a large number of people are interested in, especially when national politics has stopped providing easy fodder. People want to talk, but there are so many places to do it.

KABC will likely fall further in the next book with the end of the LA Kings season. As I wrote in the New York section, I'm surprised WOR didn't get a bigger bump from the start of the Mets season. April generally is the best for such a boost because of the greater number of afternoon weekday games.

Thanks, as always, for compiling this list, Gregg.

The challenge continues to be coming up with topics that a large number of people are interested in, especially when national politics has stopped providing easy fodder. People want to talk, but there are so many places to do it.

I don't think it's as much a topics problem. I think it's a personality problem. When was the last time a great personality came out of radio?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom