• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Supply And Demand

S

sportzguy

What do you think the best way for radio, the Iboc group or other ad agency to create a demand for the average JoeBago'Donuts that listens to terrestrial radio to go out a buy a HD radio when they are readily available?
Most "associates" that work for WorstBuy, Circuitbreaker City or Wallyworld don't even know what HD radio is.
We finnaly turned on the new antenna, combiner and HD signals of the 9 Bcasters on the Senior Road Tower in Houston this past weekend.

> What do you think the best way for radio, the Iboc group or
> other ad agency to create a demand for the average
> JoeBago'Donuts that listens to terrestrial radio to go out a
> buy a HD radio when they are readily available?
> Most "associates" that work for WorstBuy, Circuitbreaker
> City or Wallyworld don't even know what HD radio is.
> We finnaly turned on the new antenna, combiner and HD
> signals of the 9 Bcasters on the Senior Road Tower in
> Houston this past weekend.
>

I think the driving force will be lots of promotion (maybe even TV spots) on the current analog counterparts promoting the (for the time being) commerical free content of the HD side channels. As a consumer, I might even buy a radio for the first few years to see what happens, then sell it on eBay! :)<P ID="signature">______________
If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything...</P>

> > What do you think the best way for radio, the Iboc group
> or
> > other ad agency to create a demand for the average
> > JoeBago'Donuts that listens to terrestrial radio to go out
> a
> > buy a HD radio when they are readily available?
> > Most "associates" that work for WorstBuy, Circuitbreaker
> > City or Wallyworld don't even know what HD radio is.
> > We finnaly turned on the new antenna, combiner and HD
> > signals of the 9 Bcasters on the Senior Road Tower in
> > Houston this past weekend.
> >
>
> I think the driving force will be lots of promotion (maybe
> even TV spots) on the current analog counterparts promoting
> the (for the time being) commerical free content of the HD
> side channels. As a consumer, I might even buy a radio for
> the first few years to see what happens, then sell it on
> eBay! :)
>

There will be no real demand for this product. Why is someone going to pay 250+ dollars for a radio that only will give him a few additional channels that may be commercial free for a limited period of time?

To promote the product though stations must do the following:

1) Build HD2 websites that are streaming at least 64kbps or 32 kbps AAC+ and ideally should stream at 128k.

2) HD2 Weekends on thier main station that 99.9% of the population can only recieve. This means play the programming heard on the HD2 station on the main station on both their HD signal and the analog signal. A

3) Give the radios away on the air at a rate of 1 an hour for 6 months.

Even with this as a free satellite substitute, I have a feeling that Clear Channel, CBS Radio and others will see the same result Continental Light had Continental tried to compete with Southwest by creating a similar low cost service while maintaining their full service airline as well.

My question is what will be on the "interactive hd" formats that are supposed to be interactive all request formats if there are no listeners and thus no requests...will there be dead air (sarcasm).

>
> 3) Give the radios away on the air at a rate of 1 an hour
> for 6 months.
>
Good idea,although 1 per hour might be a bit costly,but at least 1 per every 4 hours might work.They should also have discounted HD radio offers through their websites.
Radio-Info.com members should have a special link for 90% off HD radios :)

> > What do you think the best way for radio, the Iboc group
> or
> > other ad agency to create a demand for the average
> > JoeBago'Donuts that listens to terrestrial radio to go out
> a
> > buy a HD radio when they are readily available?
> > Most "associates" that work for WorstBuy, Circuitbreaker
> > City or Wallyworld don't even know what HD radio is.
> > We finnaly turned on the new antenna, combiner and HD
> > signals of the 9 Bcasters on the Senior Road Tower in
> > Houston this past weekend.
> >
>
> I think the driving force will be lots of promotion (maybe
> even TV spots) on the current analog counterparts promoting
> the (for the time being) commerical free content of the HD
> side channels. As a consumer, I might even buy a radio for
> the first few years to see what happens, then sell it on
> eBay! :)
>
TV spots! No way- CC et al would never dream of spending that kind of money.

It's the Kodak thing, you got to get the cameras out there- then make your money off the film. They need to sell the radios at a loss or no-profit for a year or two- this industry can't afford to do it. XM and Sirius does and will.

FM quality is fine for almost all purposes, except classical music with its long silent pauses.

If the car manufacturers got behind HD radio, then you could get people hooked that way (lots of people have no problem getting a super nice 1000 dollar radio system in a new car, when they would never dream of it for their home).

I think they already have 1 thing working for them, and thats the name high-definition, thanks to all the promotion of HDTV. Just telling people about HD radio will make them draw a connection to HDTV, and right there you already have interest (or should I say attention) in the product(ofcoarse thats not enough). Had HD radio been called something else like advanced radio, you would have a harder time getting people to even learn about it.

2nd off, you need to get them in cars. Once a person buys a car that has something their other radios don't have people will go out and buy them.

Give aways. For the next year or so, stations should stop giving away t-shirts, or money amounts equal to there station number. Instead give out HD radios.

Use sports as bait. It worked for direct-tv. Not sure stations can purchase rights to broadcast all out of market games for various sports anymore,since either XM or sirius has contracts with the 4 big sports, however various games of various sports are broadcast via radio networks. For example Sunday night football, and Monday night football. Plus most playoff games. Currently outside football, most markets don't air games they can unless the home team is playing. Here in Philadelphia I don't think anyone aired any of the MLB playoffs. Offer these games on HD radio.

And ofcoarse get the price down on the radios themselves. Radio companies can't do this ofcoarse, but

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom