• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

SUPER RARE (Nearly) Unscoped Aircheck, KKEG Fayetteville, AR 1975 - On 8-Track

DAMN! You found that video quick!

It was on an old 8-track copy of "The Captain and Me" by The Doobie Brothers that someone had recorded over. There was a lot of dead air on the drive between Fayetteville and Little Rock Arkansas up into the mid 90s, so I assumed that a college student going from UofA down to Little Rock had recorded Bo James' afternoon show for his drive. I derived the date of recording by the tracks in the program.

It's all here, including the campy locally produced 70s commercials, some of which feature "Struttin'" by Billy Preston... all while exclaiming that the local carpet dealer only stocks items with "No dogs... no flaws, man!" Take notice that Bo deliberately states the time of "4:20" when going into a break. A coincidence? Ah... the golden days of FM!

I bought the 8-track nearly 15 years ago, and dubbed it onto MiniDisc immediately. The recording is equalized because the raw recording was pretty weak. I used to own a 1977 El Camino, and a CD copy of this was always handy to give my passengers the full 70s treatment!

Very nice! Probably the only cut on that tape I've ever heard on the radio here is that Rare Earth cut at the beginning, which comes up occasionally on KGON (and I've heard it on KYCH a couple times.)

For the record I'm 29, so things like hearing unusual and different stuff east of 91.9 are a little before my time. Things like this are the reason why I'm glad we have tools like Video Download Helper. ;o)

LR Radio Guy said:
DAMN! You found that video quick!

It was on an old 8-track copy of "The Captain and Me" by The Doobie Brothers that someone had recorded over. There was a lot of dead air on the drive between Fayetteville and Little Rock Arkansas up into the mid 90s, so I assumed that a college student going from UofA down to Little Rock had recorded Bo James' afternoon show for his drive. I derived the date of recording by the tracks in the program.

It's all here, including the campy locally produced 70s commercials, some of which feature "Struttin'" by Billy Preston... all while exclaiming that the local carpet dealer only stocks items with "No dogs... no flaws, man!" Take notice that Bo deliberately states the time of "4:20" when going into a break. A coincidence? Ah... the golden days of FM!

I bought the 8-track nearly 15 years ago, and dubbed it onto MiniDisc immediately. The recording is equalized because the raw recording was pretty weak. I used to own a 1977 El Camino, and a CD copy of this was always handy to give my passengers the full 70s treatment!

I'm always on YouTube looking for radio-related stuff and old records.

My daily keyword searches on YouTube are "radio station, today" "aircheck, today" and "phonograph, today". It was under the aircheck search I found your video.

Got any more?

Well... back in the day, DJs programmed their own shows.  Then, the monsters (aka Programming Directors) came along.  ;)

Bongwater said:
I'm always on YouTube looking for radio-related stuff and old records.

My daily keyword searches on YouTube are "radio station, today" "aircheck, today" and "phonograph, today". It was under the aircheck search I found your video.

Got any more?

Believe it or not, yes.
I have an old acetate of an aircheck from a Glenn Miller Chesterfield broadcast and Xavier Cugat's radio program.  Both were recorded in 1942 at a professional recording studio here in Little Rock.  Not sure if they were signal checks, or the guy at the recorder just wanted the songs for dancing.  They are listed with the date, type of dance number, and the artist... so I'm thinking he just wanted to dance.  I'll make some videos, and post them on YouTube in the next day or so.

I also have portions of a broadcast from local station KEZQ, which was our E-Z listening station back when I recorded it in 1984.
Also have a tape somewhere of KOLL 95 FM from the early 90s somewhere, but bugger me if I know where it is at the moment.

Then there's my personal airchecks of myself. Those will never see the light of day while I'm alive!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom