• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Super Bowl LVI Halftime Show Lineup Announced (2022)

And responding to earlier posts, Carrie Underwood has a great voice and is a nice person.
Horrible music and COVID controversies aside, Carrie is known in Nashville to be unfriendly to commoners. But I digress.

America's Best Music, or whatever it was called, played it all the time. nice to listen to if you don't pay attention to the words.
Speaking of America's Best Music, it's interesting that they are playing more "yacht rock" and even some 80s/90s ballads.

I was actually introduced to the Sugar-Hill Gang thanks to a sports video game rather (it was MLB 2K10) that had the "Rapper's Delight" song on it. The 80's-90s were a fun time where rap words was still understandable, and that song in particular was relatively light. Needless to say, I super enjoyed it, even despite it's astounding length. Much to my surprise, the song ran for 15 minutes on the game!
Hip hop from the past 5 years has more lo-fi tendencies compared to the 90s. Production was a big priority then, and today, Travis Scott and the late Juice WRLD have gotten success without having such production. Also, contrast emo-influenced rap with the boom bap.

Here you and I disagree. The world in 1760 was not today's world. Slavery was predominant in agricultural economies world-wide in the tropics and warmer parts of the temperate zones. The US was neither unique not the creator of slavery.

As the world became more "civilized" slavery was eradicated from most of its areas, although we are seeing examples today in some zones in Africa and, particularly, in Northeastern China. We saw it in the Gulags in Russia and even in the caste system of India less than 100 years ago, in fact.
The continued honoring of those people, especially the confederate war figures in public spaces is not excusable under the guise of "it was ok in its day."

The continued honoring of those people, especially the confederate war figures in public spaces is not excusable under the guise of "it was ok in its day."
The Confederate Civil War stuff belongs in a museum and nowhere else. They lost the war. It's absurd that cities like Charleston SC, Richmond, etc.. have kept Confederate flags flying. A lot of these statues didn't even go up until after 1900. Obviously, many people in the South never got over the loss of slavery...

The Confederate Civil War stuff belongs in a museum and nowhere else. They lost the war. It's absurd that cities like Charleston SC, Richmond, etc.. have kept Confederate flags flying. A lot of these statues didn't even go up until after 1900. Obviously, many people in the South never got over the loss of slavery...
For the longest time, a Confederate battle flag was flown over the intersection of I-4 and I-75 in Tampa, in proximity to Martin Luther King Jr Blvd no less.

Not sure what's in place in that site though.

No, if you read history they never regained a sense of regional identity. The flag is more about saying "we're Southerners" than lamenting the loss of a few plantation owners to have slaves a century and a half ago.

All over the world, we see regions of countries that have their own identity within the national one. Quebecois are not the same as folks from Ontario. Northern Italians have a different identity than Sicilians. Those from Mexico City suffer resentment and rejection from many of those in the rest of the country. And so on.

The unfortunate thing is that the symbol most Southerners use is full of negativity. But the spirit has little to do with slavery and a lot to do with the century after the Civil War where their economic development was thwarted by the north and exploited by the carpetbaggers.

Remember that the Nazi's takeover of power in Germany was a rather direct result of that nation's loss in The Great War and the onerous reparations Germany had to pay. As a consequence, Germans were very susceptible to a party that promised "greatness" to so many who felt otherwise following WW I.

Last edited:
No, if you read history they never regained a sense of regional identity. The flag is more about saying "we're Southerners" than lamenting the loss of a few plantation owners to have slaves a century and a half ago.

All over the world, we see regions of countries that have their own identity within the national one. Quebecois are not the same as folks from Ontario. Northern Italians have a different identity than Sicilians. Those from Mexico City suffer resentment and rejection from many of those in the rest of the country. And so on.

The unfortunate thing is that the symbol most Southerners use is full of negativity. But the spirit has little to do with slavery and a lot to do with the century after the Civil War where their economic development was thwarted by the north and exploited by the carpetbaggers.
It's reasonable to assume that descendants of slaves feel differently from descendants of slave owners. What Spirit are you talking about? The Noble Cause of the South? Black people getting lynched without a trial?

Yes, regionalism exists within countries. Quebec would never survive if they tried to secede. Regionalism is good when the differences are about unique cuisine or positive customs. New Orleans and other Southern cities have great food. That's not what the Confederate flag represents...

Holy (bleep). We’re now defending the confederate flag and trying to strip the racist connotations now?

Wow. This is something else.

Sure, it’s just southern pride. No racist connotations from the way it has been used for well over a century.

Holy (bleep). We’re now defending the confederate flag and trying to strip the racist connotations now?

Sure, it’s just southern pride. No racist connotations from the way it has been used for well over a century.
David just added Nazi Pride to his last post.
Losing a war bruises the ego. I guess lynchings and torture chambers are just part of that regionalism "identity crisis".

Just like the former President saying "Good people on both sides" when referring to Nazi Goons in America. Some people will defend abhorrent behaviour to the bitter end...

Last edited:
David just added Nazi Pride to his last post.
Losing a war bruises the ego. I guess lynchings and torture chambers are just part of that regionalism "identity crisis"...
I was supporting BigA's mention in another post that Post-WW I Germany had no comparable conditions to the last decades in the US.

The Nazis under Hitler found easy to dislike targets, such as the Gypsies and the Jews, as well as the victor nations in WW I. They united a depressed and demoralized nation under a common cause... even if it was created with no basis in facts.

Losing The Great War brought huge reparations that the German people paid in taxes, loss of vital services and the like. It was more than an "identity crisis". The lesson learned from the results of reparations in Germany caused the Allies, particularly the US, to employ a different policy after WW II... rebuilding Germany and Japan so that they would not repeat the situation that generated the Nazis in the 1920's and 1930's.

Nobody is defending the Confederate flag. But is not used by southerners in support of slavery. It was, and still is, used to show regional pride. As distorted as that may seem, listen to Alabama's "Song of the South" and you can see whey they needed a symbol.

While the flag has considerable racial connotations, the southerner who has used it in the last few decades is more concerned with grits and sweet potato pie than being able to own slaves.

It's reasonable to assume that descendants of slaves feel differently from descendants of slave owners. What Spirit are you talking about? The Noble Cause of the South? Black people getting lynched without a trial?
95% of whites in the "old south" did not own slaves. Today, southerners do have pride in other aspects of their culture ranging from food to religion. Not everything then or now was just about slavery.
Yes, regionalism exists within countries. Quebec would never survive if they tried to secede. Regionalism is good when the differences are about unique cuisine or positive customs. New Orleans and other Southern cities have great food. That's not what the Confederate flag represents...
To most Southerners it represents an identity difference. They are not and don't want to be like New Yorkers or Chicagoans. They like catfish and not so much bagels.

Is the flag offensive to many? Is the old habit of southern stations signing off with Dixie an anachronism? Sure. But at the same time, the flag really is not a contemporary symbol of slavery as much as it is of Southern Pride.

Is it appropriate to use today... a hard question. I'd say no very quickly but I will defend those who saw it in the context of The Dukes of Hazard and not in the context of Medgar Evers.

I've lived in the South. But more than that, when I was 15 I went with some of the staff of WJMO in Cleveland to Newton, MS, to register voters. I saw the bad... but I can separate it from all the rest that is good.

“While the swastika has some unfortunate history, it’s really only being used now by good people as a symail, and celebrating wiener schnitzel.”

Wow. Just…wow.

“While the swastika has some unfortunate history, it’s really only being used now by good people as a symail, and celebrating wiener schnitzel.”

Wow. Just…wow.
From PBS, hardly a conservative voice:

More from Wes about the causes of the Civil War.

What led to the outbreak of the bloodiest conflict in the history of North America?

A common explanation is that the Civil War was fought over the moral issue of slavery.

In fact, it was the economics of slavery and political control of that system that was central to the conflict. A key issue was states' rights.

The Southern states wanted to assert their authority over the federal government so they could abolish federal laws they didn't support, especially laws interfering with the South's right to keep slaves and take them wherever they wished.

Another factor was territorial expansion. The South wished to take slavery into the western territories, while the North was committed to keeping them open to white labor alone.

Meanwhile, the newly formed Republican party, whose members were strongly opposed to the westward expansion of slavery into new states, was gaining prominence. The election of a Republican, Abraham Lincoln, as President in 1860 sealed the deal. His victory, without a single Southern electoral vote, was a clear signal to the Southern states that they had lost all influence. Feeling excluded from the political system, they turned to the only alternative they believed was left to them: secession, a political decision that led directly to war.

So are Ellen DeGeneres and Michael Jordan.

Guess they need to cater to older Gen X'ers with that yacht rock.
Around here Michael Jordan is essentially royalty. I did see the ESPN documentary when sports was cancelled so I know the truth.

I've never cared much for Ellen but she does seem nice in her own way.

America's Best Music needs to continue to focus on the standards. The company already has a soft AC format.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom