• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sudden high profile exits at Cumulus

First, Charlie Cook leaves. Now, Val Garris leaves.

What's going on over there?

The same thing that's happening at Meruelo, and a bunch of other places. The advertising depression continues.

Mary Berner does turn 65 this year, so her retirement would not be sudden or unexpected.
At high management positions (thing "President of the US"), 65 is not as much a "trigger" for retirement. I waited ten years longer, and even then I would have continued were it not for the pandemic and the poor opportunities in radio in my part of the world.

David for President….
I've already got a job. And I can think of about 100 other jobs and professions I'd prefer than anything in politics today!

Well, at least somebody thinks radio is still a viable business

Is the suspicion here that there is a merger or acquisition on the horizon or is this a philosophical change based on poor performance?

I don't have any inside information or knowledge of the situation there, but Renew Group is hardly hiding that it wants a shotgun marriage of Cumulus and Audacy. Wouldn't be surprised if some other investors in the companies (even some who don't own stock in both) feel the same.

I don't have any inside information or knowledge of the situation there, but Renew Group is hardly hiding that it wants a shotgun marriage of Cumulus and Audacy. Wouldn't be surprised if some other investors in the companies (even some who don't own stock in both) feel the same.
Interesting. Would DOJ have to approve?

Renew Group also wants to gut these companies down to their bones and operate on a shoestring. The Cumulus board did not put the poison pill in place for that reason, but rather as they know there is more value in controlling their destiny and not letting outsiders force their way in on terms that aren't good for the other shareholders.

There's less overlap between Audacy and Cumulus that you may think and I've had a rising suspicion for months that this does become the end result in some form. By my count there are only 9 or 10 markets that one of the company's clusters would have to be fully divested and 3 to 5 where only individual stations would need to be sold and of the markets where there is overlap between Audacy and Cumulus, conveniently four of them are markets where iHeart does not operate.

Interesting. Would DOJ have to approve?

Any deal over a certain value would have to be cleared by the DOJ and, I believe, the FTC. A Cumulus/Audacy merger would definitely be above that value unless it has changed substantially over the last 10 years.

Such a deal actually makes a lot of sense on paper. As Lance mentions, despite their large footprints, the two companies have surprisingly little overlap. A handful of spinoffs would be required in Minneapolis, Chicago, San Francisco, Memphis, and Atlanta, possibly DC, too. Entire clusters, or near entire clusters, would have to be spun in New Orleans, Dallas, Kansas City, Buffalo, and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. I might be missing a market or two, but the two otherwise fit almost perfectly. Also, as Lance mentions, iHeart doesn't operate in KC, Buffalo or Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. So, the two companies could potentially execute swaps to satisfy ownership concentration issues in those markets.

Renew Group also wants to gut these companies down to their bones and operate on a shoestring. The Cumulus board did not put the poison pill in place for that reason, but rather as they know there is more value in controlling their destiny and not letting outsiders force their way in on terms that aren't good for the other shareholders.

One has to wonder if Cumulus is wishing it took that almost $2 billion offer from Warshaw a couple years ago. It's currently trading at less than half of what Warshaw offered for the company in Spring 2022. I see little reason to believe that value is going to go up anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom