• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Streaming outperforms both cable and broadcast TV for the first time ever

This article only seems to mention larger streaming services like Netflix and Hulu. No mention of other services from networks like Discovery+, Peacock, ESPN+, Disney and the others.
Streaming platforms have finally done it. For the first time ever, streaming services captured more viewers than cable or broadcast TV, according to new data from Nielsen.In the U.S., streaming captured 34.8% of viewership in July, while cable accounted for 34.4% and broadcast came in third at 21.6%.
Viewers spent a lot of time with new seasons of fan favorites like Netflix's Stranger Things and Hulu's Only Murders in the Building.
Fans of Stranger Things watched nearly 18 billion minutes of the show in July; consumers spent another nearly 11 billion minutes streaming Virgin River and The Umbrella Academy.
On Hulu, the second season of Only Murders in the Building and a new show, The Bear, brought in a total of 3 billion minutes of viewership for the platform.
Amazon Prime also saw more than 8 billion minutes in viewership with its new series The Terminal List and new episodes of The Boys bringing people in.

Another factor is that newer TV's tend to be connected to wifi systems and not pick up OTA that well. Also median demographics is a factor here.
It's also a situation where, while cable has been pricey for a long while, it's become stupidly expensive in recent years, and it's frustrated some who, whether it makes full sense to those in the business or not, basically throw up their hands and say "Why am I paying $150/month for 900+ channels of programming and content, when I only watch 5 or maybe 10 of them on a regular basis - I'll go where I only need to purchase the stuff I actually watch". In some cases it works out better for them financially, and in others maybe no, especially as the various streaming services continue to raise prices. The cost of cable was especially a factor when inflation kicked in and gas and grocery prices took such a big jump. Some families quite literally had to prioritize between gas in the car, if they could still serve the same foods on their tables or cut back on quality or quantity, and if it made sense to continue paying hefty cable bills.

As has also been mentioned in previous threads, when most of my friends or coworkers start talking about what they're currently watching, or TV programs they're excited about, outside of sports programming and certain games they're interested in, it's been a few years since I've heard any of them mention programming from the larger TV networks or things like sitcoms. Most everything they mention are series and programming from streaming services like Netflix or Amazon.

We do subscribe to Comcast and Netflix, but it's been a long time since we watched programming via cable at the times it's scheduled to air. Normally we watch movies or shows on demand, or watch programming at our leisure on outlets we get to watch free as part of our Comcast subscription - Peacock+, Bally Sports, Comcast On Demand, etc. It allows us to watch what we want to see, when it's most convenient for us, and no messing about with commercials. With more of the sporting events we enjoy and shows we once watched via Comcast moving to certain networks' streaming services (Discovery+, ABC+, etc.) we'll likely re-evaluate our subscription(s) as we move into the fall season.

Last edited:
Also median demographics are a factor here.
Only indirectly. The above quoted statistics are for viewers of all ages.

But today, there are a significant fraction of people in their 20s (and even 30s) who have never watched linear TV since they started their own households. The industry calls them "cord nevers" One estimate puts this group at 15% of US adults.

With this group, broadcast and cable essentially have no chance of competing, because turning on CBS requires going to Walmart, buying an antenna, and hoping you'll actually be able to pull in your CBS affiliate.

Another factor is that newer TV's tend to be connected to wifi systems and not pick up OTA that well.
I don't think it is the TV itself but rather the fragility of the signal. The digital conversion on OTA has been a disaster. While my PQ is better my reliability is definitely not. As a result I tend to pick and choose off the Internet even when the program I want to watch is offered OTA.

I haven't watched cable or satellite since the programmers dropped selling individual services.

But today, there are a significant fraction of people in their 20s (and even 30s) who have never watched linear TV since they started their own households. The industry calls them "cord nevers" One estimate puts this group at 15% of US adults.

With this group, broadcast and cable essentially have no chance of competing
As an aside, when I first moved into an area with an HOA, extended basic cable and high-speed internet were both included in the monthly HOA fees. As costs went up a handful of years ago, they decided that not everyone uses the internet but most residents would want cable, so they included a pretty impressive CATV package in the monthly fees and dropped internet. If residents wanted internet service, they had to get their own. About 2 years ago things had gone the opposite direction. Many people were working remotely or doing things from home, they were streaming movies and other programming, some were into gaming and most everyone was using the internet, and at that point cable wasn't seen as big a necessity. That in mind they dropped cable and instead offered high speed internet with the HOA fees. While some older residents were unhappy and sort of left behind if they didn't understand or brace the technology, few others complained.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom