• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Steve Pool has passed away

I know you used to be an engineer at KOMO, and I'm sure there were plenty of great stories regarding Steve. He discovered Bruno Mars long before Bruno became a household name! He did a lot of charity work too. One thing I'll always remember is Steve and Mary Nam chatting and chuckling over the 'question of the day' on First News at 4. You could sense that he loved his job. Even if there was incoming snow and dozens of school closures behind it :)
I watched KOMO the night he retired, too.
Never got to meet Steve, but I met Elisa Jaffe and the late Ken Schram years ago. I'm sure Elisa is mourning just like everybody else, current and former, at KOMO.
I know he would have been excited to see that winning field goal for UW in Saturday's Apple Cup, as an alumnus.

RIP :cry:

Ah, my mistake. I thought you did engineering work for them. Think I had you confused with somebody else.

I grew up with Steve and admired his work over the years. He was clearly a person who would dive into whatever assignment he was given (news, sports, weather, etc.).

A rather random story: when I lived in Dallas in the early '90's, I was getting a haircut. I overheard a lady telling someone that her nephew was a weather man in Seattle. Of course, I had to ask if she was talking about Steve and the answer was "Yes!". So, I guess I can say that I met Steve Pool's aunt.

I grew up with Steve and admired his work over the years. He was clearly a person who would dive into whatever assignment he was given (news, sports, weather, etc.).

A rather random story: when I lived in Dallas in the early '90's, I was getting a haircut. I overheard a lady telling someone that her nephew was a weather man in Seattle. Of course, I had to ask if she was talking about Steve and the answer was "Yes!". So, I guess I can say that I met Steve Pool's aunt.
Couple of quick Steve Pool stories:
Steve loved to get out of the studio during nice weather. One evening he was doing weather from the Puyallup Fair. Steve was standing with rides in the background talking about the upcoming week, and someone on one of the nearby rides unexpectedly hurled. Inertia took hold, spraying poor Steve's wife and the photographer. None of it got on Steve, but he remained calm with nobody watching who would have known what was happening in the background. The fair officials rushed Steve and his wife away to get cleaned up.

Another remote incident happened while broadcasting from Greenlake. While Steve was live a couple of dog walkers were standing nearby watching Steve do the weather. Unbeknown to the dog owners, one of the dogs was getting it on with another dog. Steve saw what was happening out of the corner of his eye, but remained composed and continued. The photographer and producer were doubled over trying not to laugh out loud.

Finally, Steve was in Bellevue at the yearly Christmas ice skating rink at Bellevue Square doing the weather. While interviewing one of the folks in charge, Steve decided to dawn a pair of skates and interview the official while going around the rink. The only catch was; Steve had never skated before. I was coming up the stairs in Fisher Plaza to right outside the GM's office just about the time to watch Steve on one of the TV's wobbly-skating with his back toward the camera holding a mic toward the interviewee. About two seconds later, both of Steve's legs went horizontal and he landed right on his backside. About that time the GM's assistant, who was watching the TV as well, screamed "WHOLLY SH*T!" "WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING OUT THERE??" I believe the GM had a talk with Steve about the importance of avoiding injury of highly paid talent.

I had no idea KOMO had done live broadcasts at the Puyallup Fair. I know Jeff Renner often went outside the KING studios whenever it was nice out. That Puyallup situation is an example of how professional he was on the air.
We just got a 'Christmas skating rink' in Yakivegas...in the Valley Mall parking lot! Surely it won't make a dent against the established Skateland, I'm sure, and it's nowhere near the size of the Rockefeller Center skating rink.

I had no idea KOMO had done live broadcasts at the Puyallup Fair.
Live broadcast is relative. Steve did one evening of about six stand-ups at the Fair, then headed back to the studio for the eleven. After the raining stomach contents incident, that was his last.
I know Jeff Renner often went outside the KING studios whenever it was nice out.
Not shure how it is today, but the KOMO Weather Center at Fisher Plaza had it's own deck intended for the weather folks to go outside when the mood struck. We even set up an outdoor-rated camera there. That WX Center also was surrounded on three sides by windows. Controlling sunshine from different angles during each newscast while still being able to have the outside views in the background was a real challenge.

Back
Top Bottom