• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Stanton CD players: not suitable for broadcast ... or anything else

We recently bought two Stanton C402 CD players. Both of them have the same problem: they make an audible "click" at the end of every track. Completely unacceptable for broadcast. Just a heads up on this POS. We got burned on Stanton's turntable cartridges as well: they discontinued the styluses for the model we were using. No more Stanton products for us.

At the end of the track do you hear a mechanical 'click' from the unit at the same time?

That would be the mute relay operating. If so, it's possible the contacts in the relay are not suppressed, and you are getting some kind of DC shift on the output as a result.

Ultimately this problem shouldn't happen, but I also suspect these units are now designed and made in china.

Be interesting to see the schematic.

No mechanical click. This is a $200 model, so it's probably using transistor relays.

I couldn't get a schematic from Stanton, but I think I can find the muting transistors. Is there anything I should look for? I'd be thrilled if I could fix it myself, so I don't have to send them back.

Yes, I suspected transistors for muting as well. They're cheaper than relays.

Any click on an audio line is due to a shift in DC levels. Do you have an oscilloscope? Measure the left and right outputs and watch at the end of the song when it finishes. You should observe the DC level spike.
Now grab your multimeter, set to volts DC and measure the same point. I wouldn't mind betting there's DC on the outputs and it's shifting when the tracks finish.
If this is the case, you need to determine if there's a capacitor between the output from the muting transistor and the audio output pin. If there is, a 1K resistor from there to ground may cure the problem.

Any chance that this "click" is the first audio frame of the next track?

I don't have anything to do with Stanton, but on the stylus issue, I'm surprised they are still in business and making any cartridges or styli in this century. It's hard to manufacture things that no longer have a good market. Regarding the CD players, they've been made in China for a long time. They are very similar to the other CD players with different names made in China. And same problem, the market for this type of CD player has pretty much disintegrated.

Bill Wolfenbarger said:
I don't have anything to do with Stanton, but on the stylus issue, I'm surprised they are still in business and making any cartridges or styli in this century. It's hard to manufacture things that no longer have a good market. Regarding the CD players, they've been made in China for a long time. They are very similar to the other CD players with different names made in China. And same problem, the market for this type of CD player has pretty much disintegrated.

Bill,

Many mixers still prefer to use 1200's and Vinyl code records, even thought their libraries are digital.

It is a profitable market when you are the only person any professional DJ prefers...

Not to mention vinyl is making a comeback!

R

Denon DN-C640's here in our studio, wired to use the channel on signal to trigger "play" through the remote connection on the back.

Both station's I've worked at have only used Denon units.

Studio1 said:

Any click on an audio line is due to a shift in DC levels. Do you have an oscilloscope? Measure the left and right outputs and watch at the end of the song when it finishes. You should observe the DC level spike.
Now grab your multimeter, set to volts DC and measure the same point. I wouldn't mind betting there's DC on the outputs and it's shifting when the tracks finish.
If this is the case, you need to determine if there's a capacitor between the output from the muting transistor and the audio output pin. If there is, a 1K resistor from there to ground may cure the problem.
I measured the DC and it fluctuated around 0.001 volts. No activity at the end of the track. It appears to be a problem in the digital circuitry.

Fenris said:
Studio1 said:

I measured the DC and it fluctuated around 0.001 volts. No activity at the end of the track. It appears to be a problem in the digital circuitry.

Bugger. That's nasty. Were you able to put the scope on the output and look at the shift?

Don't have an O-scope. I'll probably put together a proper soldering & testing station soon, since I'm getting into more complex projects.

Fortunately, I convinced the vendor to do an exchange. I'll try Numark, Gemini, etc. until I find a player that works.

That's really too bad about those Stantons. I purchased 3 for an AM studio back in 2011, and even though I don't work for that cluster anymore, at the time, I couldn't have been happier with their performance. Not only did the players cue up quickly, but I thought sound quality was top notch. They also all worked perfectly right out of the box. I can't say that about every new piece of equipment I've ever unboxed. Not sure if it helps, but I was using the balanced outs at the time. Are you using the balanced outs, or RCAs?

I use a Stanton CD player in a PA environment all the time. I have never had a problem with it. It works well, and sounds great. Maybe they had a bad run? Now that I think of it, we have a Stanton dual CD player in our radio station's remote vehicle. It's been fine too.

I used to sell some of this stuff for a living. Sometimes the Chinese OEM folks take shortcuts, screwing both their customer and the end user. Unfortunately, those problems don't always become obvious until the product is too far down the pipeline to do much about it.

I've actually seen electronics with one brand name on the outside and a PC board on the inside with a competitors name etched on it. Evidentally, both come from the same OEM supplier, and the builders don't seem to mind shipping kludged together stuff.

Brian Bowers said:
Are you using the balanced outs, or RCAs?
The noise happens on both outputs. The OEM thing worries me, I'll be ordering players from two other brands and hoping they're not using the same boards inside.

Fenris said:
. The OEM thing worries me, I'll be ordering players from two other brands and hoping they're not using the same boards inside.

It is quite likely that they are using the same factory.

I had a Stanton in a prod studio, but never had that problem. It recently failed, won't cue any discs. Have two of Numark MP102s that are about a year older. They still work fine, so I'm going to get Numark MP103 to replace the Stanton. No point in spending a lot of money on something that doesn't get a bunch of use in the facility, and no on-air use. I still have Denon 951FA and 950FA for emergencies on-air, but they probably need dusting again.

What model Stanton styli were you using?

680 (spherical). Whole series of fiascos trying to order them. Stanton says they can be purchased from dealer X. Dealer X didn't reply to email. Gave up and switched to Shure.

We have something like 100,000 albums in our library and no plans to digitize them, so we need this stuff.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom