• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sports Radio Landscape

Barry Jackson - Miami Herald:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/02/1559317/new-faces-for-espn-baseball.html

• WQAM-560's discussions with Michael Irvin gained steam in recent days, with talks focusing on Irvin and longtime talk-show partner Kevin Kiley doing a Dallas-based show that would be nationally syndicated but would have a South Florida flavor. If a deal can be closed, Irvin likely would fill a three-hour midday or early afternoon slot on WQAM.

Sid Rosenberg likely will shift to the afternoon-drive slot previously held by Jim Mandich, who is battling bile duct cancer. WQAM said Mandich is scheduled to go on the air with Joe Rose at 9 a.m. Friday -- his first on-air appearance since late January.

• 790 The Ticket beat WQAM in the February ratings book, with a 1.9 share among men 25 to 54 (the key demographic group) compared with WQAM's 1.2.

From 6 a.m. to 10 a.m., The Ticket's Jorge Sedano beat Rose for the first time since July (2.1 to 1.7) and Le Batard defeated WQAM's lineup from 3 to 7 p.m., 3.8 to 0.9.

WQAM won from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., 1.4 to 1.2. The Ticket has a marketing partnership with The Miami Herald.

THOUGHTS:

Michael Irvin in syndication, could be interesting or could be disastrous depending on how much WQAM has to foot in that bill.

Sid is a good talent, but he doesn't seem to relate to the audience. I personally wish he would just spend more time doing topical stuff as opposed to kvetching about how no one likes him or how bad Miami is. When he just does a show, he's good. If not, he'll get beat badly vs Dan LeBatard. Especially, when you consider how he has underwhelmed from a ratings perspective.

Good to hear Jim Mandich on this morning. Wish him well.

I guess, Tom Jicha doesn't have the pulse of South Florida in the morning. I've always thought Rose was better when he had Defo & Goldie with him. Alone he's a bore. Sedano's show is more lively, entertaining and informative. Though, as I've said before it's practically a dead heat every month.

If the combination of Rose, Irvin, Alzugaray and Rosenberg is the lineup at QAM is it enough? The morning is a wash basically, mid day would go to WQAM likely, but LeBatard's lead will still likely be so wide it won't make much of a difference in my opinion.

I wonder how this affects the likes of Curtis (who I think deserves a shot at night along with Kevin Rogers) and Anita Marks?

I'm interested to see how this plays out. Retirement allows me to see it (or hear it) all unfold. I promise to stay out of the left lane ;D

Any thoughts by the gallery?

[EDIT-Link added by Radio-Info as a courtesy]

WOW...Syd is barely beating the sports brothers and colin...that itself is amazing...Hard to believe QAM is getting beaten in mornings...Understandable in the PM drive but Sedano over rose and a close middays...WOW!

You should see the PPM numbers Hoch posted on his blog - http://www.790theticket.com/blogs/danlebatard/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10104398. If WQAM is able to reach a deal with Michael Irvin, it will most likely be from 12-3. I see Curtis and Anita moving to 10-12 and The Big O moving to WINZ. I love listening to Orlando, but his Midday numbers are pretty weak, especially 18-34. I keep hearing that Ken Charles and the folks at CC are going to make a splash at 940. We shall see, it is Cheap Channel afer all. Besides The Big O, some big name to consider are Kim Bokamper, Don Strock, Danny Kannell, Steve Goldstein, and Jeff Deforrest. I look for Jimmy Cefalo, Jim Mandich, and Joe Rose to rerturn to the booth. Although there has been some speculation that Jimmy Cefalo, Nat Moore and Danny Kannell would host the pregame show, with Bill Zimpfer returning to play-by-play duties. The Dolphins prefer a local "company man" type, which Cefalo certainly is. Bill Zimpfer can be P.C., but is not local, he lives in Phily. At any rate, it will be great to hear Mad Dog in the booth once again. It was great to hear the outpouring of support from WQAM callers this morning. Gold bless the Mad Dog!

Look at those numbers...Can somebody explain how Sid has no numbers? With limited competition how can he not have gigantic demos?

Which makes me wonder how he will do "if" he takes over the 4-7 PM time slot against 790. And if Michael Irvin gets a time slot, wonder if they will hire Anita permanently and what do they do with Curtis? He seems like a "nice guy" but not quite ready for the big time.

Let me get this straight...our two "big" sports stations both have under a 2.0 share in their target demo of Men 25-54. It's time for someone to start playing oldies on AM and give me a job.

Fire Sid Annoyingberg and give me Kim Bokamper from 4-7 Talking INTENSE NON-STOP DOLPHIN TALK. I mean position by position. Molecule by molecule. Kick Joe Bell to curb also. Let Goldie have his job.

tunchwoman said:
Look at those numbers...Can somebody explain how Sid has no numbers? With limited competition how can he not have gigantic demos?

Thank the new PPM for those numbers. In the days of the Diary, if 10 diaries were sent out to a specific area and only 1 diary keeper sent it back (that person just happened to be listening to Sid as an example), Sid gets the credit for that whole area and he looks like a champ. With the PPM it's actually decoding what the people who wear it are listening too. It's data being tabulated as it happens. There is no messing the numbers or tilting the skew. Another example...Neil Rogers numbers were always great...before PPM. Once PPM came out his numbers tanked as did alot of other dayparts and stations. Stations that never received proper credit were all of a sudden top 10 or top 5 stations. Lots of people may like Sid, but the ones who count (using PPM) obviously aren't many of those people.

One thing that bugs me, living here----

Sports station after sports station, and yet, come MLB Baseball playoff time, *none* of the stations will carry nationally-broadcast playoff games, unless it it nighttime; and IIRC, I think in the case of WQAM in the past, *after* 9pm (joined in progress, becauseIMO somehow, some way, their local commitments [read: egos] are more important). A top 20 market too. Shame. Where's ESPN Radio on this? You'd think they'd issue some ultimatum.

Maybe WINZ will fill the bill in 2010. As far as I know, no locals/ego problems.

Honestly, I don't know of any other major city that has a baseball-playoff radio scenario like Miami/FtL. Small wonder the Marlins don't draw.

(Yes I know the Yankees are on 640. Not what I meant.)

cd

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom